1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should've just kept Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Jul 17, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

To be fair, there were the IFTTT scenarios when Chris was traded here too. Not necessarily the same types or the same amount of scenarios but there were concerns about fit too. The only thing we can hope is that things will adjust for the better right? I think dismissing any and all potential for success before the season starts is a tad bit much. It's not like we gave up a 2017-2018 Chris Paul in this transaction.

Plowman likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

not to this level. the questions of inefficiency, poor decisions, bad shooter etc were not much of an issue. wb's list of deficiencies as a player speaks for itself. The main issue the media wanted to bring up was if both could play together being used to having the ball in their hands. obviously they proved that wrong as they were within a game of taking out a goat team

yeah we have to hope a ton here. but it is a lot of hope on a ton of things being adjusted.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Roberson is washed. But that is beside the point.

Tilman was not going to *take on extra salary* to get into the LT just for a *body.* Morey would do it, but Tilman would not. Even if it means coughing up another 1st round pick.

smoothie likes this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. roberson is besides the point. but to save a pick and to give us a chance to trade his large ending contract for a useful player later (presumably with the saved pick) would've been the obvious move. the trade should have some with crowder lets say. instead we miss out on that role player, and still spend that pick.

that's the frustration with tilman's cheapness.

contention and hype sell. the rockets will always maintain being competitive and making moves to hype up the casual fans because it turns a profit and allows prices to go up. to really go all in on a championship, you don't make these kinds of moves.

Deuce likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

But that's a part of fandom right? To hope for success? When it's all said and done it's not like we traded Chris Paul for Michael Carter Williams. Westbrook has his weaknesses but the guy is still a scoring threat.

I'm not a Westbrook stan by any means but I'm a believer that our ceiling with the Harden/Paul duo (along with how our ownership appears to be apprehensive on spending) has been reached. Westbrook, to me at least, gives us a chance to raise the ceiling during Harden's prime. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work. We move on.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tilman exposed, tbh.

smoothie likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure. but again, I just personally would of preferred cp3 here over him but yeah what's done is done. at the end of the day, The rockets team as a whole does come before any player for me. I've always said that. As we move further down the line, it comes down to how they can improve this team and as many voids as possible

steddinotayto likes this.
  8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. the excuses last year about avoiding the repeater tax were annoying but i was willing to go along with it since it sort of made sense to go all in this year after the warriors broke up. however, i maintained that we should have kept ariza on that 1 year deal, and if that was too expensive we could have replaced him with a cheaper MLE player but we did neither. we spent a pick to move a large contract at the deadline, but instead of adding help we used it to cut costs.

the difference between our 4th seed / losing in the second round to the warriors, and the first seed / playing a depleted warrior team in the WCFs was a mere 4 games. ariza or an MLE player helps win 4 games throughout the course of an injury riddled 82 game season. the WCF, finals, and championship were well within grasp, but just across the tax line. so close and yet so far.

ok, wasted season but here is the summer we were promised to go all in and spend the tax. its a wide open NBA and we're primed for contention. instead, actively avoiding the tax once more.

what's worse, we haven't discussed the coaching situation enough. I.D.I.O.T. half the staff was fired and we expect turner to pick up the slack of like 5 other coaches? i mean he's good but there's only so many hours in the day. we don't extend MDA because he wants too much. we don't replace him because then we will have to pay for both. so instead lets ride with a lame duck coach, which is a situation that always leads to underachievement, and then use that underachievement as the reason for not bringing renewing his contract next summer.

then lets see what happens with ego's extension. he may go the way of ariza.

clutchdabear, Hakeemtheking and Deuce like this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

We essentially DID do 2 picks plus 1 swap. There's about a 95% chance that the Rockets will be better than OKC in 2021, therefore rendering that swap useless.

smoothie likes this.
  10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Other teams got better. We can't just assume the new look Lakers and Clippers are or aren't champ contenders. Same with the Blazers who just picked up Whiteside and the Jazz who picked up Conley.

11. LUK3

LUK3 Member

i think we’ve got bigger problems in the west than the warriors. :confused:

Clippers, Lakers?

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah true. what does that turn into? a SRP or two? again i don't mind the number of picks as much as i mind not extending the trade to acquire another decent roleplayer.

13. plee

plee Member

I tend to agree that we were going to roll with CP3 but with surprise trade of Paul George, it opened up Russ wanting out of OKC. So any GM would have "kicked the tires" to see if what OKC was wanting. Also, maybe Russ and Harden talked about joining up, thus, make it happen DM.

14. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Was it Rockets or the Raptors that built the team to beat Warriors? I forget.

15. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Harden got tired of CP3 getting injured all the time and doing absolutely nothing with the ball half the time.

16. jayfree

jayfree Member

[​IMG]

LCII and Denovo like this.
  17. ApuN

ApuN Member

Dude really.

WTF are you talking about????!!!!

The team that couldn't beat a Durant-less Warriors? They lost 2 games (being the heavy favorite in the last game) in a row with the team you believe should stay pat????

Chris Paul will prolly miss 30 games as he usually does. It was obvious during the season (when he played) that he is going downhill fast. He is not the same player he was in '18

Did you not watch the playoffs???? He was old and tired in most of the games!!!!!

No way in Hell are they winning anything with a broken down, half a season player, who at best is mediocre in the playoffs.

Better to have 40 million dollar player who can give you a 100%, 99% of the time than one who is broken down and gives half the games and half the effort

Denovo likes this.
  18. ApuN

ApuN Member

OP, Are you Trolling??

19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Anytime I see the #27 I cringe. #whatif

20. JW86

JW86 Member

No, but two things should not have happened:

1. Rockets should not have offered / CP3 should never have asked - accepted the max. This was the risk. His contract is the worst and OKC is going to keep him because of it.

2. Harden and MDA should have tried to work things out during the season instead of Harden sneaky pushing CP3 out while showing him up / not getting involved on offense when he’s running the offense.

It’s better for all parties involved to move on.