1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tilman Financial Troubles] Shams: Rockets not comfortable going deep into tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 15, 2019.

1. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Eat more Landry's so that our cheapskate owner can make payroll

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Not only we add Igoudala but substract him from Clippers at this point.

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

What's new? Tillman is a broken rollerblade.

A CHEAPSKATE.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It's not about the luxury tax dude, it's about Iggy being 35 and not exactly an amazing shooter. Morey has proven the ability to upgrade the team significantly midseason, don't assume that whatever team we start with will be the team we finish the season with.

BeBreezy, jch1911 and bawanyh like this.
  6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yawn, you couldn't wait to post some negative ish huh.

How can we get Iggy with salary matching rules? @J.R. tryna see something

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Over paying for an over the hill. Didn’t we learn our lesson with CP3?

Salary + pick + lux tax = no thanks iggy. He doesn’t move the needle enough to warrant that type of financial commitment

8. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

They can add Crowder to the CP3/Westbrook trade without needing additional players.
    Probably just send a second rounder to Memphis.
    I would do that.
    Clippers would have to trade valuable players to take on Iguodala, so that probably won’t happen.

BHannes2BHonest and lionaire like this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If Tilman just came out and publicly said “hey guys...luxury tax just isn’t something I’m really interested in. I’m concerned with how much money that’d cost me”, that would obviously suck, but at least it’d be an honest statement and we could all adjust our expectations accordingly. It’s the multiple lies now about the luxury tax “not being a factor” or Morey being “advised to go into the tax”, only to get reports saying otherwise that is so damn annoying. I do not know why Tilman is so intent on lying to everybody.

Like you said...if they don’t want Iggy, so be it. If they don’t want Iggy because he costs too much, sell the team.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a bunch of BS. Tilman is going into the LT this year, but with smart moves. Too much chatter that you shouldn't listen to.

We are going ALL IN.

Rasheed, UTSA2step, Xopher and 7 others like this.
  11. thekad

thekad Member

Look at this delusion.

Destitute Dolan is the worst thing to ever happen to the Rockets and we’re stuck with him, forever.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

@BimaThug had estimated the cost with tax for Iggy to be $45-$53 M

Lol.. you pay that for a star and I've been wanting Iggy, but that makes no sense for us

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Why are people tripping? It's talking about going deep in the tax for Iggy. I wouldn't do that either

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's what i was ranting about since FA started. use the NTMLE to add 1 really good piece. people are scared of a hard cap. tilman won't spend more than the hard cap anyway!

house is a nice rotation player but not on the same level as someone we could've had for the full NTMLE.

Relativist and Gray_Jay like this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's not Iggy or nothing. It's Iggy -vs- tax savings now to set you up later for better options.

Easy choice.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

championship teams go deep into tax. and championship teams spend. there really isn't any defending tilman about that if he's really going to choose the saving route. you're not going to win if you pass on up quality players and choose a bunch of mins to play and be potential impact players in a championship run. the chances are it likely not working in your favor

#36 YOLO, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This team will go into the lux tax for the right player.

They simply have to.

jch1911 and don grahamleone like this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

I just don't get why they want Iggy in the first place. We desperately need "3 and D" guys however Iggy is just a "D" guy who can't shoot. There is no way I would pay that type of money for someone like that or give up a pick. The only way I add a player like Iggy to the roster is for the vet minimum without giving up a pick.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

This guy is such a bum. If we don’t win a title in the next couple years with Harden in his prime we probably won’t ever get the chance again...

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Well, when we ducked under the luxury tax at the deadline, jettisoning whatever depth we might have needed in the playoffs, hey, that was a TOTAL COINCIDENCE. And it's true. One of the pilots is ill. Slightly ill. But the rest of the crew is just fine and free to live a life of religious fulfilment."

Gray_Jay, pippendagimp and J Sizzle like this.