1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Clippers vs Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dejamike, Jul 13, 2019.

1. dejamike

dejamike Member

So I was watching Sports center couple days ago, they were discussing which LA team is better. I was thinking to myself, how is this even a discussion??? Let’s look at this on paper, Lebron didn’t not lead his team to the playoffs, AD did not lead his team to the playoffs last year, and the Lakers gave up couple of key pieces to get AD, while the clippers gave the warriors a pretty damn good fight, AND they added KL AND PG WITHOUT losing key players from last season. Not only the Clippers are far better the the Lakers, in my opinion, the Jazz is going to be better than the Lakers. What do you guys think?

jnuge90, D-rock, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

They both can go up or down in flames.

The Lakers Divas vs. The Clippers "Most Milquetoast Superstars in history" should a decent watch.

da_juice and D-rock like this.
  3. dejamike

dejamike Member

But if we are just straight talking these two teams who is going to have a better season, isn’t it should be hands down the Clippers is going to be better?

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

imo clips look a lot better than fakers. clips have one of the best constructed rosters i've ever seen

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Not sure, how many games Kawhi miss the last 3 seasons? Is he playing 75 - 82 games?

6. dejamike

dejamike Member

Let’s just say injuries are not in the equation. Everyone played the full 82 games.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Just because LeBron missed the playoffs for the first time in forever and Davis sat out like a little rhymes-with-witch, that doesn't mean Kawhi and PG are automatically better than them.

Even though LeBron is older, he always drags his team to the postseason. Now that he has a 26 year old partner in crime (who some consider to be the best big man in basketball), there's no reason to assume that the Lakers will be worse than the Clippers, even though the Clippers have a lot going for htem.

Exiled likes this.
  8. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

correction: LBJ always dragged his team to the postseason in the EAST

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think you can argue that LeBron missing 27 games (and Lonzo and some other Lakers missing a few) would contribute to the Lakers not at least making the 8th seed, last season.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

They’re pretty even tbh. I might give the clips the slight edge we’ll see if Lebron and AD can stay healthy.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I absolutely love LA fans having to wrestle with the Lakers finally trying to be relevant again and then getting totally one-upped in the same city. LA fans are entertainment.

jim1961 likes this.
  12. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Clippers by far. They got chemistry and can play defense at multiple positions and have offensive fire power

B-Bob likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would feel real good if I were a Clippers fan.

All four players main players from both teams have injury concerns though. You can add Cousins to that concern also. All of them of have missed a ton of time recently or somewhat recently except Lebron which has a TON of minutes on his body and knees.

D-rock likes this.
  14. BigBum

BigBum Member

Lakers try to sign iguodala and jr Smith for free.

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Clippers easily.

Bev/Lou
    PG/Shamet
    Kawhi/Harkless
    Harrell/J Green
    Zubac

Doc started using J Green at the 5 last year and slot more in their series vs GS.

Now they can go small and switch everything defensively if needed and have above average 3 point shooting at every position. For example:

Bev
    PG
    Harkless
    Leonard
    Green

They have the most balanced and talented 9 man rotation in the league as of right now. They have Elite shooting, stellar defense, rebounding, guys who finish easily inside, versatility ECT. Shamet is an assassin who plays on both ends, and will only get better. That team has no clear weakness.

They have the right coach. J West will probably add another piece via buyout market or something before the trade deadline to solidify their roster if needed (another big).

Lakers are too weak at the guard positions to compete with the Clips in my opinion.

16. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman New Member

I’ve been following the Lakers.

The main problem is President Magic Johnson.

He constructed the Lakers as if they were going to be an 80s Showtime team. But the problem is that it’s not the 80s anymore because of the abolition of the hated illegal defense rule (a rule that Magic’s Lakers regularly flouted to gain unfair advantage over opponents).

Back then, individual toughness was more important than actual skill. You could get away with selfish guys hogging the ball and role players just standing around aimlessly. Since zone defenses were banned (actually the Lakers and Pistons and Bulls and Celtics played tons of zone while their opponents were banned from doing the same), players didn’t need to be as skilled in fundamentals as they are today.

On the Lakers, almost the entire team is made up of guys that lack fundamentals - Lebron James included. Other than Kyle Kuzma, Javale McGee, and Alex Caruso, the Lakers have guys that cannot play as a team and have serious holes in their games.

Magic Johnson is one of the few 80s outdated guys left in the NBA. Not surprisingly, guys like him (like GM Ernie Grunfeld of the struggling Wizards) have washed out of the NBA because they don’t realize that the game has passed them by.

Jontro likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

AD not playing for the National team in the World Cup, big for them Fakers.

18. BlastOff!

BlastOff! Member

Besides the fact that I don’t think anyone on the Clippers can guard Davis, a lot of people are seeming to forget about Cousins. If he continues to come back him his injury and makes strides this offseason and is close to his pre-injury form they’re gonna be a tough out.

The Lakers have the advantage in the paint and I feel like in a seven game series that’s where the difference is.

Little Bit and BaselineFade like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am more interested in Kyle Kuzma, could be a major threat, starter or off the bench.

20. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Wouldn't it be delightful if Lakers miss playoff again this year?

jim1961 likes this.