1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ringer | Russell Westbrook Is a Rocket, and the Sky Is the Limit for Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamShook, Jul 13, 2019.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

These guys are pretty optimistic. Some of the few people at the Ringer that don't dislike the Rockets so their opinion is genuine. This vid gives me more optimism after reading Clutch's article yesterday.

What's also interesting: it was Harden who convinced Austin Rivers to stay for cheaper when he had other more lucrative offers.

#1 DreamShook, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Finally, some optimism! And I think the folks at the ringer are a lot more nuanced and intelligent with their analyses than some of the hacks over at ESPN and their ilk.

I admit that I still find it hard to like Westbrook, especially because I've been so critical of his style of play over the years, but all the Thunder fans that I've spoken to have told me that his effort and tenacity will endear him to the Rockets fanbase quickly. And besides, I'll be rooting for anybody in a Rockets jersey to succeed, regardless of prior feelings.

I'll miss CP3, but I'm excited for the future as well. I hope we can look back on this trade and say that it was the catalyst for a Rockets championship.

..and I hope Westbrook can take some better shots in this new offensive system

luckyman76, rusHour, arkoe and 20 others like this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, this trade is a blessing in the sky?

4. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Ha you beat me

DreamShook likes this.
  5. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

It can go either way so more apt headline.

The Ringer | Russell Westbrook Is a Rocket, and the Sky and Floor are for Houston

Let's hope for the Sky!!

DreamShook likes this.
  6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Now we truly have 2 point guards at all times on the floor for 48 minutes.

luckyman76, Roomba and DreamShook like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The ceiling is through the roof.

8. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Kenny Smith is predicting Harden having more open spot up shots. Harden finally has another person who can put up 30 any given night while still giving you dimes and crashing the glass.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LMAO. The internet is undefeated.

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yep I been having to defend harden all these years from I think unfair expectations.

Cause I scream to everyone. The man hasn't had another allstar his time in Houston other then howard..n that's sad. Why the only teams to win a chip have had 3 or atleast 2 allstars...even Kawhi had 2 against a team that was down 2 allstars. So to me show me a team that was beating the warriors healthy without atleast 3 stars. Now the NBA is balanced. Now we get to see what he does

#11 mike2k132, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

One thing I'll say is that Harden can truly spot up behind the 3 point line with Westbrook.

Couldn't do that with CP3 last year because CP3 was no threat to drive anymore...

Like I said, other than those nights where EGO would go off, Harden finally has a guy he can toss it to that can literally go off for 40 and he can chill. He's never had that. Curry's had that, Lebron's had that, championship teams usually have two dominating players at the very least (outside of Dirk's Mavs, Billups Pistons, and of course Hakeem's Rockets first run)

I think the trick is the stagger. We could really switch up our styles of play with having one on the floor but the key is how will they do together on the floor? The only option is Harden playing SG and deferring to Westbrook because he can spot up and shoot.

13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i really liked his comments about Russ being the dive man in the screen and roll. I think when we go small and tucker is at center, Russ needs to set the screen. He's got sick hops, so even though he may not get a dunk, he may be able to draw a foul by driving or just kick it out to a 3 point shooter if the dunk is not there.

14. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

The ceiling is the roof!
    -Michael Jordan

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So overall, the media hot takes have been; "Russell Westbrook is a huge superstar," "He will be amazing for the Rockets," and downright mirin' "Oh what a lovely guy!"

@DreamShook was right. ;)

The media bias in favor of Westbrook is so obvious. They love him because of his flamboyant personality, flashy style of play, and his enormous swagger, which to many in the sports media is the definition of a superstar in this league.

I'm not against all this praise and adulation, but it's funny now that the Rockets actually have a media-darling on the team, we are finally get some love! :D

Bengchu, DreamShook and Hakeemtheking like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Changing my avatar to support our newest resident of Clutch City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of haters out there.

Ming The King and ISOBall like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden paying Rivers under the table with that Adidas money confirmed

luckyman76, Remlap, JK0nG and 4 others like this.
  18. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

It’s going to be very interesting to see how they play together in Dantoni’s offense. Watching those old videos from their OKC days I see them throwing oops to one another. James hasn’t had another G that he can do that with. I’m hoping they play at a faster pace than we have been. A lil more transition play would make us a tough squad to handle with James and Russ coming downhill on defenses that are not set yet.

Another move or two to round out the roster and we would be all set. Another good wing defender and PF. (Sign and trade Shump for Iggy and bring back Faried)

19. DanO 337

DanO 337 Member

I'm nobody, but I do have an opinion. Soooo here it goes. This is a good thing. These guys want to play together. They know one or the other, if not both are gonna have to change their game. These two (harden and Westbrook) haven't played together as they are now. So what we know as the past goes is totally irrelevant. They are willing and have a supporting cast. I'm not worried about our perimeter game(Westbrook really). We have enough to make that happen. I'm just anxious to see these new rockets without hidden hate. This team knows it is what it is now. Sceptics will be surprised. Can't wait!

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Ah yes the ol “these guys have a positive opinion of my team so they must be the only unbiased ones” bit. Classic.

PlayBall and DreamShook like this.