1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee up next on Rockets' wish list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee up next on Rockets' wish list

[...]

The plan Morey described, however, now becomes about landing that significant addition in a trade and hoping to get center depth with the tax-payer mid-level money they have left.

Raptors free agent Danny Green seems certain to get a deal much larger than the Rockets can offer with the Lakers, Mavericks and Raptors all wanting to add his 3-and-D excellence.

The hope now is that former Finals MVP Andre Igoudala can be had once he is officially with the Grizzlies on Saturday. The Warriors sent him to Memphis to make their deal for D'Angelo Russell. The Grizzlies are rebuilding around young talent. With Morey's next first-round pick burning a hole in his pocket, the Grizzlies could pull off the rare double play of getting a valuable asset for taking Iguodala's contract and another for dealing it.

The other part of that plan could center on landing JaVale McGee as a free agent.

The meeting with McGee in Los Angeles went extremely well, two individuals familiar with the process said on Wednesday. The Rockets' interest was not just if Capela was dealt. McGee would be happy with his role with the Rockets, serving as a pick-and-roll target for James Harden and Chris Paul. The Rockets want greater size off the bench and the vertical spacing the second unit has lacked.

The problem would be needing to use the tax-payer mid-level. If they dip into the non-tax mid-level, they would be hard-capped and unable to make a trade for Iguodala or anyone else they would turn attention to next. With the limited budget, it would not be difficult for a team with cap room, particularly the Lakers, to outbid the Rockets for the veteran big man.

That is the problem with keeping the starting five together. It is expensive, leaving little to spend elsewhere. The end of the Warriors' Death Lineup era however could make Iguodala available.

If he becomes a free agent again via a Memphis buyout, landing Iguodala would be as difficult as two seasons ago when the Rockets made a run at him. Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka was his agent and met with Iguodala in 2017.

The Rockets' pursuit, however, was considered "the best recruiting presentation of all time," according to a source quoted by ESPN in 2017. Iguodala was so impressed that after meeting with the Rockets, he canceled his remaining scheduled meetings.

Iguodala was ready to sign with the Rockets before the Warriors upped their offer enough to keep him.

If the Rockets cannot get him again this time, they would have to keep working the phones for trades. They have time, having locked up their bench with the deals with Austin Rivers, Danuel House Jr. and Gerald Green. But the "significant addition" pool of free agents has virtually dried up.

The whirlwind of free agent deals has made things around the league move quickly. The Rockets have reached the point they have to move slowly. There is, however, a path to one of the Rockets' off-season goals.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They already have an excuse for not using the NT-MLE

They are waiting on Javale to accept their offer

They want to use a first rounder in an Iguodala trade.

"They have time"

Yea this organization and front office absolutely sucks.

@J.R. I'm officially with you on the doom and gloom. Maybe my sense of distrust is a precursor to a big surprise, but for now I'm done trusting this team.

3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Half of league players on this list I guess.

Add players on the list and the work is done.

bmelo likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Where are my fireworks?

Ramo$e and LUK3 like this.
  5. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

Don’t see why we need a first rounder for a guy that will get bought out anyways. Who would we trade for him? Sign shumpert to big money then send him for Iguodala? I guess that’d make sense to give up a first

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So they’re hoping to get more players on vet min contracts rather than using any of the exceptions

Gray_Jay, B-Bob and smoothie like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

absolutely not.

just another squandering of assets.

let him get bought out, if he wants to come, awesome, if not, fine.

don't mortgage a future player for one year of a broke Iggy who deserves to choose his own team after being screwed by the Warriors.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Feigen is Morey's Goebbels.

fallenphoenix, Milos, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

SnT Shump or Nene for Iggy. Don't let it be iggys decision, Make it our decision. Stop being ****ing cheap.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's presenting that article like things are looking good because we locked up freaking Gerald Green. Get the fork out of my face with that.

bmelo and smoothie like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Based on what? I know everyone was mad at the boasting, but i dont think there is any basis to say our FO sucks.

TheRealAllpro, Patience and RudyTBag like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i like Iggy and you add him if he takes what we are offering, but how many small forwards does one team need? we have PJ, Clark, House, Green, and we go three guards a lot as well. So i just don't get it. Yes get Iggy, but for the love of God, can we get a 4? So our plan is to have five small fowards and three centers? i understand positionless basketball, but this is really frustrating. Length matters. Rebounding matters. And we've been exposed on that front in some key games. So why aren't we addressing it?

Gray_Jay, slothy420, MC31B and 9 others like this.
  13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This team is so cheap it's annoying.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t think you know what “sucks” means.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Squandering an MVP candidate's prime by letting Ariza walk, not using the MLE and saying it's a coincidence sucks as bad as Tilman's restaurants.

Promising fireworks and pumping up Jimmy Butler on instagram sucks as bad as Tilman's theme park.

Using first round picks for a 34 year old injury prone guy who deserves to be bought out sucks as bad as Tilman's ability to pay contractors who work on his properties.

#15 treyk3, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Is that Morey's fault or the owner's? I think you know which one it is. And no one could pay 15 mil a year for Ariza.

Patience and steddinotayto like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Seem slike they're kinda confident in landing McGee :D

Jokes aside, i don't want to move a 1st rounder for Iguodala, i'm all for getting him if possible, but also if the price is right, i'm tired of wasting picks for marginal upgrades and salary dumps. If i have to move a 1st rounder for him i prefer to let him work on a buyout and eventually try to get him as a free agent, and see if in the meantime we can get a guy like Hollis Jefferson or Stanley Johnson.

Deuce, D-rock, Hank McDowell and 5 others like this.
  18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Using the Bird rights to Iman Shumpert, who otherwise wouldn't factor into Houston's plans, to pay 17 million dollars to Andre Igoudala is being cheap?

You don't have to agree with it, but it's pretty much the opposite of cheap.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Who would you sign with the MLE at this point?

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's not going to happen, it's just a good excuse not to use the NT-MLE. If it happens and we throw in a first, please look back in 2 years at how it worked out.