1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Parker for league minimum anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jul 3, 2019.

1. rockets13champs

Stretch 5?

seeingred and tc0330 like this.
  2. rockets13champs

pro: can bring the ball up the court,
    -can set up guys on offense
    - best 3% was in MIL 2018 season with .383 shooting
    - can rebound
    - would come off bench in Houston, similar to how Eric Gordon found his nitch
    - very young
    - High character professional
    - can play portions 5,4, and 3 in offense
    - excellent boxout ability
    - can shoot step backs

Cons:
    - acl injuries

#2 rockets13champs, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  3. rockets13champs

4. Denovo

Denovo Member

I’d love that signing. Low Risk. High Reward.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We have targeted him in the pass.

6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Would lovw it but I am sure he is looking for more than $5mil a year. We are hopefully in the running to get him! Good to see we are actually tied to someone.

Y2JT likes this.
  7. rockets13champs

At this point. We need to prevent him from going to warriors and add to our team. Jabari would be a really good add right now

Highlyrated likes this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

Vet minimum: sure!

Y2JT likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

roslolian, ElPigto and clutchdabear like this.
  10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

While it would be nice to add a big who can create his own shot and put the ball on the floor, isn't he pretty widely regarded as one of the worst defenders in the league? At a vet min you're not necessarily banking on someone who can play playoff minutes, so maybe he'd be pretty useful in the regular season at least, but he also seems like the sort of personality that would get disruptive if he started to lose minutes.

I'd be excited for our offense, but that's not the area we need to strengthen. Take a look at our stats since MDA joined:

Offensive Rating
    16-17 - 2nd
    17-18 - 1st
    18-19 - 2nd

Defensive Rating
    16-17 - 18th
    17-18 - 6th
    18-19 - 18th

Defense, and defensive rebounding especially should be our number 1 priority.

IvanLCPM, napalm06, topfive and 4 others like this.
  11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

i wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on him for the min. but in terms of cons.. there’s more than just acl injuries. he hates playing def and he even said as much publicly. he’s been mostly a loner and not really a team guy wherever he went (maybe bc no one else in the league really relates to his mormon faith?). and i’m not sure he would fare any differently than our melo experiment from last year.

would rather see the rockets pickup someone like darius miller or stanley johnson and focus more on the defensive side. we have enough offense as is and its gonna be top 3 anyways. but if it’s in addition to one of those guys.. then yea i’d be thrilled to try out jabari and see where it goes.

Von Rafer, topfive and malakas like this.
  12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

this team needs length, rebounding, defense and Youth...we keep on running it back but our players are getting older

13. rockets13champs

Jabari is 25 and another big for possibily the MINIMUM

14. jb86

jb86 Member

If he can play like this for us, then it might workout.

rockets13champs likes this.
  15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Don't think he fits what we're doing. He's for a young team that is trying to compete, but not for us. Too much of a risk.

He's a scorer much like Michael Beasley. However, he's a very poor defender and doesn't seem to have the drive and discipline to harness his talents. He could theoretically be a solid stretch 4, and he does have a great offensive basketball IQ for his age but he's not disciplined.

I think D'Antoni would be eager to coach someone like Jabari, but I'm not sure if Tucker, Harden, and especially Chris Paul would be able to handle the inconsistency of Jabari. He needs to fully commit to playing team defense, and more importantly team basketball.

You give him the ball and tell him the score? He can do it. You put him on a team and tell him that he's coming off the bench and might only take 7 shots per game? I'm not sure he'll be able to handle that news.

I'll take a flier on him for the vet min, but anything more and I'm out. Too much of a risk. Just feels like another Michael Beasley situation from 2016.

roslolian, malakas and jch1911 like this.
  16. Denovo

Denovo Member

We need bench scoring as well. Hopefully we can get lucky enough to address both with two different signings.

However, I wouldn’t put too much stock in our offensive rating simply because we rely too heavily on Harden to put up crazy numbers. We need another shot creator too along with improved defense and rebounding. A scoring forward off the bench would lessen the load on Paul, Harden, Gordon and PJ. We’d greatly benefit from that.

17. Denovo

Denovo Member

The funny thing is.. Beasley was arguably our second best player at one point in 2016. Definitely our second best scorer.

And there is no risk on a low price signing. If it doesn’t work just waive or bench him. He brings a lot more to the table than Gerald Green lol.

Also Parker deferred a lot for the Wizards last year. I doubt he’d have a problem deferring to 2 HOF on an actual contender. He’s not Melo.

joshuaao and DaDakota like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

The forward was asked if he could be as good a defender one day as he is a scorer.

“Well, I don’t know I just stick to my strengths,” Parker said. “Look at everybody in the league. They don’t pay players to play defense. There’s only two players, historically, who play defense. I’m not gonna say that I won’t, but to say that’s a weakness is like saying that’s everybody’s weakness. I’ve scored 30s and 20s off of guys who say they try to play defense.”

Parker was then asked about being someone who can switch as a defender from one player onto another.

“Well, if you know the game, you know that everyone’s a pro, right?” he said. “And you know that certain guys have a (scoring) average, and no matter what you do, they still get that average. They pay people to score the ball, and I would hope that somebody scores the ball on me if they paid them that much. So, I’m not saying that’s a cop out or nothing, but it’s the NBA. We’re professionals, everybody scores. It’s just a matter of limiting them as much as you can and trying to contain them.

lilbird20, MC31B and luckyman76 like this.
  19. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I think/hope we'll insert House into the starting lineup next year and put Gordon back to the bench to help our balance there. Having a more dynamic and versatile offense would be great in the playoffs for sure, but I doubt Parker would be able to stay on the court if his defense is as bad as everyone says it is. Even just watching the highlight clip in the OP there's a clip showing him on defense just standing at the high post while his man runs past him for the offensive rebound and he just lets him by lol.

20. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

id rather go for darius miller or harden’s buddy stanley johnson...but we also need to add interior scoring from our 4 and 5..