1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stephen A. Smith] As of this morning, I am hearing Lakers are serious threat for Kawhi Leonard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rasheed, Jun 28, 2019.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I think he has a meeting set up with both. I don’t think he wants to play with Lebron.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

The worst thing possible would be the Lakers getting Kawhi and us not getting Butler, if that happens we're done.

I agree, but i said te same for Durant when he was rumored to sign with the Warriors...

In the end, i still like Clippers chances over the Lakers, they just seems like a better fit in terms of personalities involved etc...but they need to get another good name to pair with Kawhi, i'm not sure he's going there if he is forced to player with Shai, Pat, Gallo and Trez...maybe a guy like Horford would be enough, but i'm not sure.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, but usually Lakers are too dumb to make it happen.

Kawhi Bron and Davis is the ultimate combo to rule them all and everyone else the next 3-4 years.

If Harden/PG decide to join.

Harden Davis and Kawhi and Bron retires.

#23 daywalker02, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  4. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

It does make sense for Kawhi though if you think about it. LBJ is gone in what 2-3 years

You still have a core of Kawhi and Davis plus max cap to add whoever they want. They could be in the running for the next 5-7 year

BaselineFade and BigM like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Where was the factory located that built Kawhi? Los Angeles? I don’t get leaving a team you just won a ring with but nothing would surprise me with that guy.

6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

ESPN wants this so badly.

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I doubt it happens, and I think this is just a Rich Paul leak to put pressure on other superstar FA to get to the Lakers. But if it does happen, I'm not sold on the fit either. They're essentially the same when it comes to preferred playmaking position. They all like the high post. Only Kawhi is a particularly good three-point shooter to spread the floor. If I'm defending that trio, I'm forcing the ball to Kawhi to make a play with LeBron and Davis hanging around the perimeter. I'm not sure Vogel is the right guy to put it all together either. One thing is for sure though, their defense and rebounding would be at the top of the league.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Hopefully it is just the SAS usual bullcrap to cater to the Lakers fanbase and doesn't come true otherwise there's no meaning in following the league anymore.

RyanB and justtxyank like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nothing surprises me about Kawhi or LA so . . . it is all possible

If he does this all that silent humble **** goes out the window .. . he will be hated by me
    Just like DuRAT

Rocket RIver

luckyman76, Fyreball and malakas like this.
  10. JW86

JW86 Member

Pelinka will win GM of the year.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why would he want to play for the Lakers over the Clippers? Doesn’t seem to be in his personality to do that.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont think hes leaving toronto for either of them. he might as well milk this FA process where hell be wine and dined in his absolute prime

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think anyone has any idea what he is going to do. I think he keeps his circle close, and obliviously he doesn't talk too much.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nobody knows what Kawhi’s personality is or what he wants. True wild card.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Two immediate thoughts:

1.) I definitely wouldn't rule it out after Miami 2010 and Golden State 2016. There were so many "nah, he wouldn't do that" takes then. It's very possible.

2.) People are going to understate the differences in the remainder of the rosters (Lakers now compared to Heat, Warriors then). If it happens, you're literally going to have over half the roster as minimums. You won't have the Mike Miller, Shane Battier, and Udonis Haslem types, or Andre Igoudala, Shaun Livingston, David West and Kevon Looney. And they don't have future draft picks that they can trade to acquire them during the season. Also, LeBron at 35 and Kawhi with the chronic quad situation is far from Curry/Durant in their primes, in terms of the depth and maintenance that it would take to get them through each season.

Not saying they can't win a title, they definitely could. I just wouldn't put quite put them in the historic "super team" tier that you'd think just based on the names.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Us it personal between him and Lebron, or professional competitiveness?

18. malakas

malakas Member

We know some more things now though.
    He seemed to enjoy the attention that he got in Toronto. Just because someone doesn't speak doesn't mean he's humble.

D-rock likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

"KD's not that type of guy. He's not gonna go join the team that just beat him & was up 3-1 on."
    "Kawhi's not that guy. He destroys super teams (Heat, Spurs, Warriors), not joins them."

Nobody knows.

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

He just thinks he’s a douche.

D-rock likes this.