1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else still high on Clint Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Chamillionaire

He outplayed Gobert and Towns in the POs last year before he got paid. He's obviously not a backup. Some of y'all got selective memory.
    But if he nets us Jimmy, then yeah, don't let the door hit ya on your way out.

Almost no one plays well against GS.

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Only if he improves his FT %tage and goes back to the play that led to his big contract.

3. dmoneybangbang

Finding a center who can shoot 38% from 3 and able to not be played off the court is about as easy as finding a competent 3 and D wing.

BaselineFade and YOLO like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Too much recency bias lately. Not every team is GS, which is a bad matchup for Capela.

2018 was a somewhat lost season for Capela, broke his leg and had a series viral infection in the thick of the playoffs. I’m with you, if we can get Jimmy Butler then great. However, Capela is a great role player and a great fit.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

He’s improved his FT rate every year and when he played during the regular season he was about just as good per the advanced numbers. He was more efficient playing 27MPG vs 33MPG.

A bad playoffs is causing a lot of recency bias.

D-rock, Tfor3, Newlin and 1 other person like this.
  6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Am I the only one who believes that Clint didn’t recover from the thumb injury? He had the best hands for a big man and then all of a sudden after returning he goes full on Kelvin Cato. I think a summer of rehabilitation and working on new moves and he comes back even stronger.

Does he have flaws? Absolutely but man some of you act like he’s no better than a 60 year old Tree Rollins.

D-rock, alcatrazpsycho and Williamson like this.
  7. RedHotRockets01

I think Clint is good, not great. He never developed a jump shot, which is crucial in today's NBA. He can't draw his man away from the basket, because they know damn well he ain't gonna shoot it. That is what opens up the lane for Jimmy and Chris to take it to the rack. I really don't understand how bigs don't spend the entire summer working on their shooting/passing. It's literally the difference between being a good team, and being a great team......

8. dmoneybangbang

It would totally be fitting that we move Capela for someone with more pace and space and then get knocked out by the Jazz and Blazers who play a more traditional center.

9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Capela was unable to guard the perimeter on switches last year. Maybe it was due to some lingering injury and he’ll get back that lateral quickness.

There are five free agents that can replace Capela as our rim runner:
    1. DeAndre - rebounding monster but slower laterally than Capela
    2. McGee - all the physical tools but low BB IQ
    3. WCS - athletic and a better FT shooter, but low BB IQ, low effort
    4. Noel - athletic, gets you blocks and steals, but mercurial and foul prone
    5. Looney - can shoot, smart defensively, but less athletic
    DeAndre is a monster rebounder that can outmuscle anyone, Noel gets you steals like a madman, and Looney has a solid jumper, all skills that Capela lacks currently. I’m not here to claim that these guys can fully replace Capela, but they can execute his main offensive function (rim runner) at a high enough level and a much lower cost.

You definitely risk a downgrade at center if it gets you Jimmy Buckets.

D-rock likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Capela is the opposite, instead of spacing the floor with 3 point shooting, Capela’s man has to stayed glued to Capela because he’s an elite finisher. It’s why the combo of Harden and Capela PNR is devastating. Would better shooting unlock more, sure but how easy it to get better shooting from the center spot?

I think Capela can be a better passer but he will most likely never be a shooter. However, let’s not underrate his ability to finish around the rim which requires a defender to stay glued to him.

Vivi and justtxyank like this.
  11. MystikArkitect

I understood him being neutralized in the offense against Golden State.

I did not understand him constantly losing rebounds on the defensive end. You’re a big man, that’s youre only job.

justtxyank and tc0330 like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Our switching system gets players out of place and requires team rebounding. Capela was 5th in rebounding for 2018 and tied for 8th in 2017.

We need better team rebounding from all positions.

D-rock and tc0330 like this.
  13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

thats why butler at the sf spot will be huge for us.

14. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I like Capela and he is on a good contract, but he is not irreplaceable. If it nets you Butler, then trade him. McGee can only play a little over 20 minutes a game. That would force us to develop Hartenstein who I think can handle 15 minutes a game.

RkPlayerSeasonAgeGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%eFG%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
    1Clint Capela2018-1924676733.67.110.9.6487.110.9.648.6482.53.9.6364.48.212.71.40.71.51.42.516.6
    2JaVale McGee2018-1931756222.35.38.5.6245.38.4.634.6251.32.0.6322.64.97.50.70.62.01.42.812.0

Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 6/26/2019.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Zhou had a per 36 of 72 PPG last season.

16. alethios

alethios Member

I'm actually fine with Hartenstein. He's got the range and has shown some effort on interior defense. He just needs more play (eh, D'antoni?).

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Maybe, the net effect of adding Butler + minimum center at the expense of Gordon and Capela might be less rebounds.

As my professor said, “be careful what problem you solve, you may create two others”.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

this problem was part of the scheme the rockets went back and forth about. Often times putting capela out of position for rebounds themselves based on the switch everything scheme. hard to get rebs when you're outside or guarding the actual ball itself initially. this also goes towards to the amount of other poor rebounders this team has

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  19. tc0330

tc0330 Member

if jimmy averages 5 rebounds per game and capela averages 13 (rounded up) rebounds per game, we technically need a center to average 8 rebounds per game right? so anything over 8 from that new center would ideally be better? plus add in the additional points. seems like a win win to me.

20. dmoneybangbang

You left out Gordon’s whopping 2 rebounds per game, so we’d need to make up a total off 15 rebounds to break even.

Capela and Gordon put up 32PPG in total compared Butler’s 23PPG (his best season).

I do want Butler but let’s be clear about the impacts.