1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pay George Springer!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Legend, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

His value to the Astros is unexplainable. His presence alone gives our entire team confidence and drive. He’s the conductor to the train. When he returns, our team will have its identity back. Without him, we wouldn’t have a ring. I used to be on the fence about this issue, with Tucker, Alvarez, and fisher waiting in the wings. Now it’s obvious, if it came down to Correa or Springer, it’s a no brainer. Pay that man!

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

At the same price, it's Correa all day every day. Correa is playing his age 24 season, Springer his age 29 season.

That being said, I do like Springer Dinger a heck of a lot more as a person and as an Astro. I would be very happy seeing him locked up for 6 more years at a decent rate.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

6 years is too long, honestly, unless he’s signing a declining deal. You are only buying out one arbitration year at this point in time so that’s not a big win for George. I can’t imagine he wants on a declining deal.
    He might get paid but I’d doubt it, and certainly not for 6 years.

4. Marteen

Marteen Member

Spotrac has these center fielders as free agents after 2020: (their age for 2021)

Jacoby Ellsbury (37)

Billy Hamilton (30)

Starling Marte (32)

Kevin Pillar (32)

Michael Taylor (30)

Enrique Hernandez (29)

Jake Marisnick (30)

Josh Prince (33)

Daniel Santana (30)

Jackie Bradley Jr. (31)

Leury Garcia (30)

George Springer (31)

Jake Smolinski (32)

Not a particularly great free agent season if you're looking to replace your center fielder unless you're okay with JBJ. I guess hope that a center fielder rises from the farm system or re-sign Springer.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m now high on straw. Like his contact profile and with his speed and defense he could be just fine until he loses his wheels.

HTown2017Champs and Marteen like this.
  6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Depends on how much the contract is for. I could see 3-4 more all-star level years after this year.

7. Buck Turgidson

Sign him for 6 years after this season at a reasonable rate? Done. Develop or get a CF who can take over in a year or 2, he and Tucker man the corners...

King1 and Tomstro like this.
  8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Springer has raised his level of play in two straight playoffs. I sign him without a doubt. Personally I would have signed him before Bregman.

Houstunna likes this.
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

I really hope we do pay him. It's pretty difficult to predict what will happen with last year's market combined with the CBA expiring in 2021. Does George sign a one year deal if he doesn't get the offers he wants to see? Will a team bite on him and offer something over 100m? His injury history will really hurt him, but I could see a team offering something big anyways. He's a true game changer when healthy, and a majority of his injuries have been pretty flukey (HBPs, etc.).

I'd love to sign him to something a la 4y 80mil. Springer seems to love HOU and be really comfortable here. Hopefully he stays.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its in both parties best interests to get something secured before 2020.

George, and his agent have always bet on him producing enough to enhance his value every step of the way. It was smart to lock in two of the arb years, but leaving the last one open for potential growth. That should also help the Astros leverage some bargaining power by combining the last arb year with an extension, and making the average/year enough to entice a signing.

Its worked to secure Altuve and Verlander... hopefully they'll proceed to lock in George.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Springer will be 31 when he enters free agency and 31.5 at the start of that next season.

I suspect the Astros will offer him an extension during the arbitration process. It will be for less than he might get on the open market but give him a chance to lock in a long term contract for around 100 million dollars.

I also don't think you can look at him as a CFer for most of his free agent years. The Astros will have Reddick, Brantley, Peacock, Marisnick, and Gurriel coming off the payroll that same off season.

12. SemisolidSnake

I am indeed very interested to see what happens when Springer comes back. We've seen the hitting, but there is something intangible that he brings to the team...I think. I don't understand it, myself. They play like a more confident team when he's out there. And he's got to be playing; being in the dugout isn't enough, even though they all love him in the dugout.

It's a weird thing. I don't think the Astros actually have a leader on the team. Someone that really sort of actively keeps everybody playing at a high level and leads by example. But they draw inspiration from within. I thought it had to be Altuve, but after a few seasons, I think it is Springer that has the most effect in this strange Astros motivational world.

Well, we'll see shortly.

13. astros123

astros123 Member

The Astros don't have a leader?! Watch breg's interview about JV pregame routine. Says the whole team draws from JV and get inspired everyday.

14. SemisolidSnake

Oh, cool, I'd like to watch it. Where'd you see it?

Actually, I wasn't sure about Verlander. I can definitely see him as the one guy that would stand out as a leader on the team in the way I was describing. Since he only pitches once every five days, I decided not to include him in my comment, but I agree that he's likely that guy. At least on the days he pitches.