1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AFS

AFS Member

Following the end of EYBL circuits, Tramon Mark and Jamal Shead have both shot up in the recruiting rankings and are now both Top100 recruits. Mark is now the highest ranked recruit of the Sampson era.

2. ballgame

ballgame Member

Tevin Mack chose Clemson! Why we can't recruit bigs??

Fulgore likes this.
  3. AFS

AFS Member

What do you mean? Tevin Mack was a guard, not a big. Our big-man recruiting has been pretty decent--J'Wan Roberts is a Top150 guy, and we also got some good transfers in Gresham and Gorham.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes a "big" but is still going to be pretty undersized once you get to the elite teams in the tourney. that was part of houstons downfall playing kentucky. i think everyone is wanting a true big that can play like it. harris might be 6'10 but doesnt really play like it. and is he going to be able to play more than just spot minutes

5. AFS

AFS Member

Kentucky was bigger, but I think it's different than the way you're suggesting. Kentucky only had two big men that played more than 15 minutes during that game:
    Reid Travis - 6'8"
    P.J. Washington - 6'7"

All of our rotational bigs match up pretty well to that size. P.J. Washington wasn't really any bigger than our guys, but he was just much more skilled and it showed. Where the size difference was really a factor was among the guards/wings. Our guards had struggled all year defending bigger guards (guys like Cumberland and McDuffie had good games against us). Galen Robinson and Corey Davis were great defenders, but lacked size. Neither was able to be effective guarding Tyler Herro, who we didn't have an answer for.

And when our team came across opposing teams that had a true dominant big (Oregon, LSU), the team was fine. We don't need a 7-footer to be successful at the college level--scheme is way more important.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I believe pj has a significant wingspan so he’s bigger than what his 6’8 measured height suggests. If I remember correctly it’s an over 7’0 wingspan. As much as 7’2. Reid was much stronger than any of Houston’s bigs and he too has a 7’0 wingspan.

They’re definitely going to need size competing with the true elites and powerhouses. LSU and Oregon were in the same General tier as UH last year. They weren’t better

AFS likes this.
  7. AFS

AFS Member

Not sure about our other guys, but Brison Gresham is 6'8" with a 7'2" wingspan:

I won't complain if we end up landing a stud 6'10" guy, but there just aren't that many guys like that out there. I'll take a Top150 big any day, regardless of his height.

Houstunna likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

i like greshman. he especially has good chemistry with jerrau who likely has the keys now. they have been pretty much a package deal since their grade school days right. UH has just spoiled me to the point now that instead of just winning 1 or 2 in the tourney. why not go even further. with losing brady, the C position just keeps be a bit uneasy there atm

9. AFS

AFS Member

Yeah, I get that. It might be a while before we get a big like that, though. We're currently targeting Jonathan Aku in the 2020 class, but I'm not sure our likelihood of actually landing him. In the meantime, I think we'll have to rely on Sampson scheming around it.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Memphis and their recent historic recruiting twice. can't wait!

non-conference opponents up next

[​IMG]

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. Aware

Aware Member

What a shame were not going to see an AAC with a strong uconn and memphis at the same time.

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

14. airflights92

airflights92 Member

That's a huge get!!!!

dc rock likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

huge if DJ decides to go pro after this year

Plowman and airflights92 like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

#2136 YOLO, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wish they would eliminate that dumb rule having to sit out a year

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

I just noticed Quentin declared for this years draft also and went through the combine etc. withdrew at the end of may

20. the shark

the shark Member

EXCELLENT!!!!