1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources (ok just me) Rockets to run it back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wulaw Horn, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The Golden State dynasty is dead.

If we get really lucky Durant opts in to rehab and make $31,000,000 during his redshirt year, and they max out Klay and extend Draymond forever ending any chance of them being relevant.

Iggy is toast. Livingston is toast. Looney is probably gone. They've got no path to get better with KD the world destroyer being gone (and never coming back- anywhere- which is a basketball tragedy for me as a huge KD fan) and those guys are going to get flat ground into dust next year during the regular season.

That's a 6 seed in the making bro.

We are better than everyone else in the West. It's possible the Clips get better than us if they get Leonard.

I'm guessing Milwaukee breaks apart a little bit. Celtics are never was with that roster, the Raptors are done when Leonard moves on (and even if he stays I think we are better than them) and nobody else out there is winning the title in the east.

If we stick together and add a shooting big like Lopez to replace Nene (got to think they can convince him to move on) for the Mid level and a little athleticism I think this Rockets team is in the top 3 likely to win the title.

If you can get better, sure, do it, but what you really needed to do is stay cohesive and together and outlast the Golden State Dynasty, or hope that they had a key injury that we could take care of (alas, it happened about a game too late for us to really maximize that). So, the dynasty is outlasted, Lebron is playing on a trash team (even if they get Davis), Durant is a non-issue next year, I don't trust Leonard's continued health- next year is the year for Harden.

If that doesn't work out next year then blow it all up and let Gordon walk, trade Capella, Paul, Harden, everyone with a pulse and bottom out- something we've never seen in the Morie era, but something I think broke ass Tinman would like (as would Murray who always wanted broke ass Les to give him that shot)

RocketRoller and lockedin34 like this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Even sans KD, the Warriors are no six seed in the West.

They will remain legitimate contenders barring any further major injuries.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Count Golden State "out" (or "dead") at your own risk!

6th seed? :D

4. Nook

Nook Member

5. 1Deep

1Deep Member

We're way closer to being the 6th seed in the making than they are.

maw7079, Sadboy, s3ts and 5 others like this.
  6. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I'm not okay with this thread you're gonna give DreamShook a heart attack

justtxyank and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You don't get it. They WILL get hurt. They are on fumes. Without KD to spread the load, with Livingston and Cousins moving on, with Iggy completely washed (from a perspective of playing high level regular season ball), with Looney maybe gone and with no real powder to replace any of that Curry and Thompson will be flat worn out in the regular season. Someone is getting hurt or tired or cruising or or or.
    This years roster is way better than what next years roster will be for them. And they struggled to what- 55 wins? Watch and see, they've got a 47-52 win season incoming.

jboslett, Hmc415 and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

My current sentiments as well. "Run it back" might be the best bet and most likely outcome after the injury to Durant last night, with the possible exception that Capela is moved. But don't be so sure the Warriors won't resign Klay even if KD opts in for a $31Million rehab year in GS. They're moving into new arena in San Francisco and just might eat the massive luxury tax.

jboslett likes this.
  9. tc0330

tc0330 Member

saw this on twitter

"If Kevin Durant opts in to his 2020 option and Klay Thompson/Kevon Looney resign with Warriors their salary will be around $161 million guaranteed for 10 players. They would owe another $115 million in repeater luxury tax. That’s a staggering wage bill of $276 million."

joshuaao likes this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Harden is the most durable and heavy work load star in the league. I won't bet against him carrying the team to at worst a top 4 seed. Unless there is active acrimony on the team. This presupposes the Rockets can get on the same page to run it back, emotionally. If so then yeah, it's right there for the taking.

lw17 likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1. Fertitta doesn't want to spend to run it back.
    2. Haven't you heard that our supporting cast sucks?

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Get the band back together for one more run.

The Cat, TheRedRanger, Ramo$e and 7 others like this.
  13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

No because even without KD the Warriors still gonna beat our ass unless we make changes

RyanB and roslolian like this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I assume they will re-sign Klay. And I welcome it. He's not a $30 million dollar player headed forward so I love that idea. The longer the better. It just makes them that capped out and stuck long term through the late prime of his and Curry's career. Donkey won't age well. The idea of them having $110 million tied up in those 3 into perpetuity without Durant there to shoulder the load has me very excited as a Rocket fan.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Of course we're going to just run it back. That's all that we can do while being handicapped with CP3's salary. We'll change a few of the minimum contract guys, but otherwise we'll be largely the same.

Maybe CP3 will magically get back his quickness next year?

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Not a chance. Seriously, just watch what happens to them next year. It gets UGLY for them. I had Dubs in 6. I've been all over the relax people- don't get mad at this Houston team, they were second best to an all time team. That's not the case anymore. Golden State is D U N done.

17. rocketseagles07

Fam... and if Durant sits all year he’ll be healthy just in time to help them send us home another year.

If we’re really lucky Durant leaves, they run it back, and the lakers don’t get a major piece

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You don't get it.

We've been hoping for injury to one of their main stars for the past 4-5 seasons. They've still made the Finals sans injuries to each of their major contributors throughout that run.

It's not as easy as you're trying to make it out to be.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Completely different team now. There’s no strength in numbers. There is no Durant. They are thru winning at a high level. Mark it now and believe me or mock me in 8 months or so....

20. anchel

anchel Member

¿¿?? They will rebuild around Curry, Klay and Dray, improve their bench and will stay contenders.

tochiee22 likes this.