1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans fire GM Brian Gaine

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We've had rotating assistant coaches come/go in the BOB era... but it was clear (as in the above scenarios) who was running the offense.

Sounds like you don't want him to call plays...and would like another offensive architect. Going back to the GM/coach discussion, very hard to have two different/controlling offensive minds on the same staff.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Not sure why some posters are contorting themselves in an effort to defend the Texans.

The facts are that that Bill O'Brien got to hire Gaine 18 months ago. That was someone he wanted and thought he could work with. He was someone hand picked to do what the head coach wanted.

Suddenly Gaine is fired for performance (supposedly) and now Bill O'Brien gets to hand pick another GM to do what he wants.

The firing was shortly after the draft, and after the Jets have had substantial negotiations with the best candidate (that signed with the Jets).

That IS dysfunction..... that IS a perfect example of a dysfunctional franchise.

This will the 3rd GM that the coach will have worked with..... a coach that will be entering his 6th season with the Texans and has a single playoff victory over a Raiders team that didn't have their starting QB. What happened? The Texans gave O'Brien a 4 year extension.

So far Bill O'Brien has not been able to work with Smith, then his friend Gaine......... and now lets see how long his third GM lasts.

Every time a player busts or the offense or defense fails to perform..... we will get leaks from O'Brien about how it isn't his fault... that the GM drafted the bust player or it someone else's fault when the offense isn't good enough.....

mikol13 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Bill O'Brien doesn't really have a history of working well with others. He is considered extremely arrogant.

#2 I want Bill O'Brien fired, he is going into year 6 and has won one playoff game and has gone through a number of OC's.

red5rocket likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No, I don't care if he calls plays. Well let's same I'm not sure about him calling plays. I want him to have people in the organization who see the offense differently.

Yes we've had rotating coaches come and go and NONE were guys who were established offensive minds. That's the unusual part. Every guy you named to prove the Obrien situation is normal does the opposite of what OBrien does lol.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Back when Reid and Payton first started, who were their established offensive minds? Same with Kubiak. Again, not putting BOB in their class, just saying its not uncommon for a head coach, who's the play-caller, to be the driving force.

Again, all that matters is the head coach's (or head offensive coach's) relationship with their QB... provided you have a QB with talent (which I believe the Texans do have).

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure, we could just devolve this thread into that (like every thread)... not what was being discussed though.

If you're not in favor of them bringing in guys who in most circles are considered "better" at running at team than Brian Gaine is, not sure if there's a move (other than firing everybody) that is worthy of attention.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its like the Texans are out to make your day bad, no matter what they do.

Nobody is defending anything... it just looks like a franchise you claim needs better "direction"... trying to achieve better direction.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The problem wasn't Gaine and it isn't going to be whomever they hire. The problem is that Bill O'Brien has a level of control over the football team that he does not merit.

9. Nook

Nook Member

If they wanted better direction, they wouldn't allow their head coach to pick the GM..... certainly not a coach that is barely over .500 in 5 seasons and has a lone playoff victory.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ok... so since its clear they're not firing him, and this is not a discussion about firing him, what exactly is your contribution to this discussion?

This is shades of your anti-Hinch vendetta... till there wasn't one.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do you not yet grasp how the NFL works vis-a-vis GM/Head coach relations?

12. Nook

Nook Member

I know damn well how a GM and HC relationship works.

I also know that a HC that is barely over .500 with a single playoff win and having had three GM's doesn't survive in the NFL......... unless you are the Texans.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And wasn't the article just mentioned talking about Easterby actually having final say/control?

If anything, I see BOB having less power at the end of the day... not more.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

True. But he wasn't the Texans/O'Brien's first choice, right? They were denied access to Caserio, Clay & Douglas? He was their 4th or 5th choice?

You know what I think happened?... I think Bob McNair was sick - and getting sicker - and so they accelerated their timeline to get the new GM in and up-to-speed while Bob was still engaged.

"Suddenly" from *our* perspective. Reportedly, the relationship was "eroding" - which does not occur suddenly.

I'm guessing BOB gets a year; it doesn't sound like he was directly involved in this (though he might've been). The more that's coming out about it, it sounds like this was an Easterby move. He and Caserio seem to be the link; BOB might be in that circle - but I don't think these guys will hesitate to jettison him, especially when you hear how close Caserio and Daniels are.

Disrupting Watson's development is poisonous so I assume they'll be more patient with BOB. But I don't think this solidifies him at all. I think BOB *can* be highly competent and I think we've seen examples of it. But we've also seen too much of the flip side. I just don't sense these two guys are going to tolerate 4th-and-2 FGs, and the like.

Jake Tower and Nook like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Obviously not in the NFL... where you know first-hand of several examples of coaches picking their GM's (or just being the defacto GM, even if they bring in a figure-head to take the official title). Hell, the Texans have already had at least one other head coach who was basically the GM (and then picked his GM).

Starting to reach broken record status... again, none of that was any different before this story broke. Are you against Easterby also? Don't think you even knew or mentioned him at any point.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Marty Moornhinweg for Andy Reid (had been a head coach and an OC for Packers and 49ers)
    Doug Marrone for Sean Payton

Payton is the most analogous of your examples. The only one really. He didn't have an established coach with him, just a bunch of well regarded guys he brought from other organizations. That's the singular example. And he didn't call plays at first in New Orleans.

17. Nook

Nook Member

That the Texans are dysfunctional.

They have allowed a mediocre head coach have an unhealthy level of control over their organization.....and every time something goes wrong, there is always a new scapegoat for coach O'Brien to blame.

The current way things are handled at Reliant is not the norm and it isn't a blueprint for success.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, and you are YET again arguing with people because that is what you do.

Do I find it concerning that Reverend Easterby is going to have some say in the next GM? Yes.... yes I do. Perhaps Clay Walker can come down and sit in and give his two cents.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm talking about when Reid got his start with Philly (basically at the same level where BOB is now). They're all from the Mike Holmgreen coaching tree... Morningwhig, Reid have the same roots, same philosophies. Probably good to have like-minded individuals working together.

You sure about that? He was the play-caller in Dallas. Anyways, BOB also took a hiatus from calling plays at one point too... in the end, these guys aren't going to be involved in a power struggle, nor are they going to hire people that may put them in a power struggle (whether its at the benefit, or detriment of the team).

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yeah, while I don't know anything about the inner workings of the Texans, all the reports coming out are that there's going to be a shift in the power structure of the organization. And none of those rumors have BOB GAINING more power.....Easterby seems to be the guy that's got Cal McNair's ear right now, and it seems like this was an Easterby decision. I'm sure BOB was consulted, and I'm sure he'll have input on the GM hire, but from what all the national/local guys are saying, things are different now under Cal. I'm also willing to bet that there's no way Caserio comes over unless he's given assurances that he'll have final say over the 53 man roster.

Rudyc281 and Hey Now! like this.