1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cord cutters thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 19, 2018.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Suddenllnk internet 100mbps- $42
    Directv Now- Go big package $37(early adopter)
    HBO GO- free with directv now
    Netflix- free from friend.
    Hulu- dont have but working on getting from friend :D

Whats nice about directv now is every 3-4 months, I call and threaten to cancel and they comp me a month free. :cool:

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

After spending waaaay more time than I'd like to admit installing Kodi and various add ons I now have it working extremely well on my computer and decent on my phone.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

How do cord-cutting Houstonians watch the Astros?

For the Rockets I "borrow" an out of state friend's LP account and it works fine on my FireTV. From what I've read that might not work as well on MLB.TV, even masking IP on the FireTV.

I'd prefer to watch through MLB.TV, I have Kodi but never had much success with it and I'd like to have a more dependable way to watch.

K LoLo likes this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

T-Mobile is giving a free year of MLB.tv this week if you know someone with it.

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That probably doesn't get around blackout restrictions, does it?

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Dunno, I don't really care much for baseball so I never redeemed it.

7. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Anyone try Set Tv? $20/month for over 500 channels, including PPV, sports, and premium channels.

http://www.setvnow.com

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea, with DirecTV, you just have to stay on top of your billing. If you are not getting any discounts at any particular time, then you are getting ripped off. If you got the premium package with all the movie channels, then you just call in and say I want to check on discounts available. You end up saving $35 - $40 a month on billing and they are good for 6 months. Then, when they end, you do it again. But, I'm still corded so...wrong thread.

9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah that's not gonna last.

I have YouTube TV right now for the playoffs. Has been very good, but I will cancel it after Rockets win the title.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

The Bundle strikes back: How streaming caught up to cable TV prices

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/bundle-strikes-back-how-streaming-caught-cable-tv-prices-n959101

Let’s break it down. For starters, the average price of American internet service is $68 a month, according to this research. If you subscribe to the four major streaming services — Amazon Video, HBO NOW, Hulu and Netflix — you probably end up on the hook for roughly $45 every month. And that’s before you factor in the price of new entrants, like the much-hyped Disney+, and their cache of exclusive content.

The net result? A growing number of consumers who subscribe to the noisy jumble of streaming platforms may find themselves saddled with a bill that hovers above $100 a month — nearly as pricey as the $120 monthly average for standard cable/internet packages.

12. Surfguy

Last time I called DirecTV in December to renew my movie channel discounts...they are like "no new discounts". No nothing. That's the first time I can recall that happening ever. So, I had them take me down to the base package. I'm not paying full price for those movie channels.

Also, that AT&T/DirecTV merger really screwed up both what you can do on the website (can't make changes without calling in now) and their customer service. It's just a pain now. I hate logging in and/or calling in now. It was way better before the merger. Now, they do this thing where an AT&T rep tries to help you with the DirecTV stuff and, when it's determined they can't help you, then they pass you off to a DirecTV rep. It's just a big old chunk of time to get through it.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Bumping since I'm in the same boat. I can't stick with ATT, can't do it and I've been with Directv for 10+ years!

That said, what's the best streaming service for Rox, Astros? Does one even exists?

14. Surfguy

^^^^__

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The MLB and NBA passes. ($)

-or- Reddit team forums always have a stream. (Unreliable, takes finagling to get it on your TV)

You pay or you work. That's life. No complaining.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Reddit works so well on firestick. They have the browser called "silk" and it gives you the option to "stay here" whenever a popup appears, so another page never really opens up. Its pretty fantastic.

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I don't mind paying, I just hate ATT.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do I need another jail broken fire stick?
    Roku?

Rocket River

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is what I use. I typically stick with the bilasport stream that has no ads. What I haven't figured out is how to do it on my Roku tv. Is there a browser for it I'm just not seeing?

I did have to go with the extra $50 for unlimited data with Xfinity...which pretty much eliminates any savings I was getting after dropping AT&T/Directv. Still, I'm just happy to be away from DirecTv and down to just wireless service with AT&T...which I'll deal with in the near future. Having 2 kids and a teacher wife while I work from home was eating through the data cap after about 18 days each month.

20. droxford

droxford Member

Check out my posts in this thread. I was subscribed to Sling and had a really good solution that wasn't bootleg (I don't think).