1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Celtics approached the Rockets on interest in Gordon Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

I edited my previous post cause i listened to that piece and they mentioned Horford and pick for Capela, they said that maybe even Gordon could be talked etc...but in the scenario they mentioned, we could take Horford after he opts out and signs a 60M x3 contract by just moving Clint and maybe a filler. We would still have Gordon, the salary of those 1st rounders, maybe Nene, and maybe Shumpert resigned with just one big year guaranted. We would be hardcapped in this scenario though, so i'm not sure if/how that would limit our ability to make other moves, we might be forced to do those before this one.

If Horford opts in though, we would be forced to trade Clint and Eric, in this scenario we could still resign Shumpert to that team friendly contract, and add some fillers (Nene, rookies)...not enough to take back a max contract, but one around 20/25M maybe...

2. amaru

amaru Member

The way he described Chris Paul was depressing but accurate. If anybody thinks Paul had a "down year" or Harden is "holding him back" you're in for a very rude awakening next season. Paul is about to start rolling downhill at a high rate of speed.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Don't say that out loud.

Have to hope that one of those GM's think's its Harden's fault that CP3 wasn't CP3 this year …. and that if you put the ball back in his hands , he'll be the old CP3 , not the Old CP3.

Bids9 and Htown Legend like this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

When fan podcasts for Eastern Conference teams can clearly see what's up with Paul but half of CF can't it's just ridiculous. I doubt the Rockets are going to find a GM that truly thinks Paul can be CP3 again.

Elephant810 likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just remember what George Carlin said …. Half the people are stupid , half of those are stupider than that.

All we need is one of those 29 to be stupid …. and the odds are in our favor.

6. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

If any deal gets done it will be a CP3 for Hayward deal. I’m not a fan of Hayward and would much rather have Brown. I’m also not a fan of Horford but could be a great C that can stretch the floor for our guards.

7. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I agree to a extent but I believe wont be as bad as you think though.....He was declining when we got him, we knew that. Im more worried about his ball distribution, that is what we can use. He doesnt need to be that explosive superstar, thats what we have Harden for. All he has to do play a little defense, hit some open shots, dish a couple dimes.

He is just a very expensive 3rd best player. He's a baller, he earned it though. Harden will get his contract on the decline as well. We need a consistent inside threat. One that can idealy create his own shot IF NEEDED. Once the lob is taken away from Capela he is useless. He doesn't fight for boards or easy put backs.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Meh, I doubt it. Rockets with Paul playing and Harden resting were +7.

I expect some decline at age 34, but the big declines to come at 35 or 36.

ak99999, J Sizzle and Ramo$e like this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Fixed it for you.

I think most of us agree that he is declining. However your first step declines. Your speed declines. Your mental game and ball handling shouldn't generally decline. Something was up in the playoffs in addition to some age related decline. The team definitely seemed to be in a funk.

DreamShook and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

hayward is only 29. butler is 31.

we need a star SF. I believe Hayward can be the player he was in Utah. MDA would empower him and there would be a lot of shots available in Houston.

I do Cp3 for Hayward. We wouldn't look bad sending Cp3 to a franchise like that. Can you imagine the look if we shipped him off to Phoenix?

Maybe we can even snag the Timelord and make him Capela's replacement after next year.

Jayzers_100 and Y2JT like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Butler is 29, not 31.

12. amaru

amaru Member

Not sure what you're doubting since it sounds like you are agreeing with me lol. I'm saying that this wasn't a "down year" for Paul, rather the beginning of a steep decline. Unless we get bounced early in next years playoffs, or don't win enough games to qualify, Paul will turn 35 during the playoffs next season.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why did this get bumped again a few days ago? New development that I missed?

14. amaru

amaru Member

Nope, you messed it up lol. It was correct before o_O

It wasn't so much that Paul's IQ was down, he couldn't get the separation necessary anymore. This led to him having to throw passes he normally wouldn't throw and use his off arm to push off more. This is related to a physical decline that will only get worse. Some of this could be negated with coaching, but our head coach has already said he doesn't do that. Other teams see his massive contract, and his long injury history, and they are understandably wary.

I'd love to be wrong about Paul, but when PGs start declining it's usually quick.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

IM sure the celts would LOOOVE To give us Gordon Hayward .

They just want Clint , PJ , and Eric

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

I simply refuse to believe that Boston would be willing to give us anything valuable right now when they're still in the running for AD. That being said, any type of deals including Brown are out of the question..

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Are they really in the running for AD though? I mean, if Irving bolts like it seems, why would they trade the farm (because they're not getting Davis with Brown and a couple of meh picks) to get him expiring after rumors reported he wants to be in L.A or even New York? I'm not sure that's a risk Ainge is going to take...

Horford
    Davis
    Hayward
    Smart
    Rozier

This is his starting 5 of Boston if Irving bolts and they trade for Davis.

18. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'm sympathetic to that opinion, and made that argument a few weeks ago, but IIRC, @Mathloom made the point that last year, CP3 for whatever reason didn't take care of his nutrition or fitness, and came into the season needing to play catchup. This next season, OTOH, those deficiencies are going to he addressed. He might be better next year than this last year, if not back to his .260 WS/48 historical performance.

But point guards usually fall off a cliff right around his age.

Mathloom likes this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

I hope he can turn it around......but honestly he looked like he was pretty healthy and in shape this year.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  20. lionaire

lionaire Member

Nothing about Kyrie's future is definitive just yet. Who knows, making a deal for AD now could convince him to stay even if it's on a shorter deal.

Corrosion likes this.