1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The all encompassing VR thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Mar 30, 2016.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You kinda have to play through the pain a little your first few times. Play smaller doses to get your VR legs. It's one of the biggest problems VR has right now, people feel wonky their first time and say f**k it.

It bothered me a little at first, but I got to where it didn't effect me at all pretty quickly. After I stopped playing for a while and picked it back up it bothered me again, but it wore off quickly.

92i likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

Your either VR or RV.

3. Buck Turgidson

I'd still take VY

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I really wanted to get into vr with the nba league pass but when i checked the schedule for Rockets games, there was only like one the whole season. There were like 5 worriers games, so I said eff that.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I keep reading this is problem for quite a few people - kind of a vertigo/ motion sickness sensation that is worse if you are standing.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When your body is stationary but your brain perceives movement. Almost universally there is a strange feeling a some point.

People with much greater resources than video game companies have studied VR tech and there is still no proven way to completely stop it.

The simplest comparison is sea sickness.

7. droxford

droxford Member

I've been setting aside cash here and there in anticipation of buying my first VR solution in 2019.

With that in mind, I'd like the opinion of others here about which direction to go.

The Oculus Quest (coming out in Spring) looks like it's gonna be a strong addition to the market. Price-wise, it's very appealing, especially considering the fact that it's gonna be standalone, and won't require a PC. I've been targeting this device, but now I'm having second thoughts:
    Certainly, its snapdragon processor won't be able to handle high-end VR
    As VR grows, I would suspect that the software will outgrow the Quest's hardware
    Content will have to be ported to the Quest, which means the total content selection will be limited, and, I suspect, short-lived.

But if I don't buy the Quest...
    I would have to buy a gaming PC AND a VR headset. Certainly my costs go up. But it gives me the ability to run more powerful VR.
    I'd prefer NOT to buy a Vive or Rift headset, knowing that their technology is now two years old (or older).

What do you think of headsets like the Pimax 8k or 5k plus ?
    What do you think about the Samsung Oddysey plus?
    Which other headsets are coming out this year that I should be mindful of?

8. droxford

droxford Member

I purhcased an Oculus Quest and received it on the same day of its release (May 21).

Aftet 2 1/2 weeks with it, I must way....

WOW! A truly fantastic VR experience! Very submersive. The lack-of-tether is VERY nice. The inside-out tracking works very, very well. I greatly enjoy the freedom be being able to take it with me somewhere.

The graphics are unfortunately simplistic compared to a high-end headset, and I knew this when I bought it. It's not a fault of the screens (which look amazing, it's just the limitations of the Snapdragon processor. But even with this, the apps, experiences, and games run smooth and provide an excellent experience.

But I'm very happy with the purchase so far. It's unfortunately very easy for me to burn through hours of time with it.

#88 droxford, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    KingCheetah likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I read the reviews. It sounds cool, and would like to try it out. Personally I am going to wait a few more years. It’s going to be scary how good this will become over time. There is no way to avoid it.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow, that's so sad.

Thanks for the Friday pickmeup!

[​IMG]

daywalker02 likes this.