1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Fit for the Rockets in 2019 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Jun 3, 2019.

?

Who is the Best Fit for the Rockets in 2019 Draft

1. Zion Williamson

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. De'Andre Hunter

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Bol Bol

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Jaxson Hayes

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Ja Morant

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Rui Hachimura

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. BreakYoSelfFool

Agreed.
    The Warriors are an all time great team built by Jerry West. It is hard to win championships and even harder when you have to beat them. Honestly, I think they threw the series vs Cavs for a chance to get Durant, but that's neither here nor there.
    Would you also agree that getting to a championship at this point will require some type of roster change? Or that young talented players can help win a title? Of the guys I mentioned Robert Horry was the only lottery pick (11th) and Kahwi was the only other player drafted before pick 20. I think we can get a lottery pick in a deal for Chris Paul, Gordon, or Capela. I also think it is more likely than a trade bring in Anthony Davis, Kawhi, Durant, or Jimmy Butler (Probably our only other good chance at a championship). The dream is that 2 out of Chris Paul, Gordon, or Capela can somehow be flipped for Jimmy Butler (opt-in and trade leverage) and a low lottery pick. I guess a secondary dream could be for those 3 guys to all improve to at or near all-star level, but that seems nigh impossible.

We need 1 of 2 things to happen for a chance at a title:
    1. Rockets get much better
    2. Other top teams get much worse/explode
    I don't think its crazy to think that Lakers or Knicks get desperate enough to flip picks or that we can jump in on a deal to give a team enough capspace to sign their free agent target. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm not aiming high enough. EGo and Capela could get us Anthony Davis and Jimmy could opt out to sign with the Rockets for the minimum with Austin Rivers and K Faried.

2. BreakYoSelfFool

I think Zion can play any position, but we have little chance of getting him unless he looks like a bust in his first couple of years and we trade for him like T-Rob, MCW, Hasheem Thabeet, Terrence Williams, Marquese Chriss, etc)

#42 BreakYoSelfFool, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

simply put...i think its crazy

4. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I am for getting a first round pick and helping get younger that is whats wrong now we have no young players that can see the floor

5. BreakYoSelfFool

Never underestimate the heart of an analytical GM!

What is your idea to get us championships?

6. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

My ideal summer would follow

1) 3 team deal

Houston in: #8/10/13 James Johnson and small contracts from Miami that they want gone
    Houston out: Clint Capela

Miami in: plumlee
    Miami our: johnson #13

Atlanta in: Clint
    Atlanta out: 8/10/plumlee

Houston incentive can use the picks in future trades or use it on some guys I love in the lottery.

Deandre hunter posted great ft%/3 point percent/and provides great size and switch ability

demboyou from France poses potential and size like siakam with great ft%/reb/evolving 3 ball/athleticism/switch ability

Thybulle from UW is someone I’m in love with. Steals blocks and d not seen since Payton. Great o rebounder/athleticism. Surprisingly good ft shooter. Good volume on 3s. Projects to be Marcus smart. But if shooting mechanics hold he’s your Danny green.

Miami wants to get out of tax hell and this could help

Atlanta gains Capela who is a need and fits their timeline without touching their cap.

Trade 2. In 2 separate trades

Houston in: Aaron Gordon
    Houston out: Egod/whoever Miami wants to dump (dragon/Johnson/olynyk) unprotected first

Sign with MLE

Jam/dedmon/daj

Likely settle for DAJ

Trade 3.

SnT shump/nene/3 unprotected for
    Jimmy opt in if he threatens to leave as detailed in other threads

4) Min sign McGee and Gibson (ties to our guys)

DAJ/McGee/demboyou
    Agod/tucker
    Butler/hunter
    Harden/thybulle
    Paul/whoever

.... let me dream

tc0330 likes this.
  7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Guys that have potential and would fit.

Hunter. Premier 3 and D of pool with size to boot. Posted great 3 point percent and ft%.

Demboyou. Great athlete. Fluid. Great sir and reliable ft shooter with 3 in works. Looks like siakam

Thybulle is a beast. Do yourself a favor and heck out this kids tapes. Amazing d great o rb. Athletic with great ft%

The last 2 guys high on my list is KZ from Stanford. Great shooter with versatile defensive potential. Extremely long.

And the auburn forward cheke? 2nd best 3 and d in draft imo. Could grab him late after acl tear

AuburnRocket likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Exactly what morey is trying to do. Get another significant piece. Other than that you aren’t getting any closer to a championship being won

9. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

lots a gems in this draft..Morey will get someone but MDA will bench him..same old story

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

The only part I read was about JJ. The Rockets have had interest in him for awhile. Comes from a Tuck-toughness pedigree. Contract is a bit heavy, but one year really. Miami wants to get rid of spare pieces. Who knows? Where's Wayne?

Philly as well: Simmons (somehow with that 1 millie) is a spare part to move for space.

CJ Miles plays like a Rocket....:)

James needs help. Period.

lilbird20, Deuce, jch1911 and 6 others like this.
  11. tc0330

tc0330 Member

i think id faint if we got aaron gordon

D-rock likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not saying he’s the best player on the list but Bol Bol is really interesting.

13. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

First time I've seen Chuma Okeke's name mentioned. Didn't want to come across as a big Auburn homer, which I am,but Chuma has great tools...can play d,rebound and shoot the 3. Downside is the torn ACL... will be late being able to contribute. Was hoping that he'd return to Auburn but too many good eyes for talent for that to happen.

D-rock and BallaDoc like this.
  14. BreakYoSelfFool

How do you plan on getting a significant piece? We can't sign with cap space, so we either have to trade or get a significant piece in for low salary. This is not the offseason to try to get low price signings, it is a sellers market. We probably can't even keep all of our current significant pieces. There is about $150 million in cap space just in L.A., and another $150 mil in Brooklyn and NYC. If your plan is to beat GS, and newly tooled LA, LA, NY, Brooklyn, Boston, San Antonio, etc in the mid-level/buyout market I think its crazy. Remember the last time we were in this type of market we ended up with Ryan Anderson for 25 mil and Nene. This free agency will be even worse

Reminder of the crazy deals passed out in 2016

If we do trade, its hard to trade for significant improvement in player for player only trades, especially when you don't have extra cap space to take in more salary. Nobody is going to take one of our players and give a better performing player without some additional incentive (cash, cap, draft picks). Also, we don't really have useful draft picks or cash to add in to get back more than we put in. We can get back significant pieces through taking slightly less significant pieces plus well selected draft picks though.

I think something like Capela for Cody Zeller and 12 overall pick could work. That would put us in range for guys like Bol Bol, Bruno Fernando, Cam Reddish, Jaxson Hayes, and others who could be significant pieces and probably/possibly better than Capela (25th overall). Zeller himself may be better than Capela if healthy and spoon fed by Harden. If we could get Jeremy Lamb back too, would be a plus. He could at least replace Rivers.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

how? a bunch of luck is going to have to work in the rockets favor but one thing that likely won't happen is the rockets trading for some high draft pick at this point in time

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Anyone else still chaffed about Memphis jumping us in the draft to grab Brandon Clarke? Capela to BOS for their pick and then selecting Clarke would have been very nice.

I will be bitter about this forever.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

it may happen; it very well may not - - if TheGoodGuys fail to win it all, reach Finals ‘at least’, JEH13 to Knixies feels possible. A ‘reset’. Low payroll. Russ to ______ ? Philly for Simmons? Kings for Buddy Buckets, with Fox making another intriguing backcourt? Also Knixies?

Future bright (sic). Perhaps for a certain bottom line (that’s been bottomed out by this pandemmie thingy)?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

What

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What what? Implausible? Perhaps. Impossible? No!

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

I guess you missed the 2019 draft