1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Fit for the Rockets in 2019 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Jun 3, 2019.

?

Who is the Best Fit for the Rockets in 2019 Draft

1. Zion Williamson

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. De'Andre Hunter

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Bol Bol

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Jaxson Hayes

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Ja Morant

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Rui Hachimura

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

rockets aren't getting any high draft picks. /thread

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You're true to your name.

raining threes likes this.
  3. ball king23

ball king23 Member

if we do trade i would take a good SF and not look back

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can Zion play Center?

:)

5. basketballholic

Cameron Johnson

raining threes and CRJames14 like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

What rookie will outplay or steal minutes from Rockets first 6?

Harden, CP3, EGo, PJ, Clint, Rivers?

I think Faried fell out of rotation due to Bzdelik influence, not MDA. And comparing a crappy Knicks team to the 2nd best team in NBA is poor comparison.

Rookie is not going to get any impactful minutes in MDA's notoriously short rotation. This current team is just too good.

And if you knew my posting history, you would know that I am not or ever advocated for jettisoning D'Antoni.

7. Dalton Pence

Dalton Pence Member

Putting Hachimura on here but taking Barrett and Reddish off due to shooting is comical. Hachimura isn’t even a lottery talent in my opinion. Could develop into a three-point shooter later in his career, but the only thing he excels in, is scoring over smaller players in the mid-range. Physical limited, with not a ton of upside. He would not be what Houston needs

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Zion is like Morey's dream small ball center.

Super high motor, explosive, dunks everything, has good defensive awareness. Too bad theres no way NO will take Capela and change for him.

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Morey usually doesnt do much, maybe finds a way to get a high draft pick in 2nd round just to get something he finds in the ruff to pan out.. They never buy into the top 20, cause it would take like eric gordon for that.

GotGame15 and raining threes like this.
  10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Perhaps the best fit right now is a subtle Morey tweak to begin roster improvement. Well, that's one suggestion I've heard.

Ahhh.... The days of Shane Battier for Rudy Gay. People lost it, but man, Shane was great for the Rockets and their small window with McGrady/Yao

IMO, the rockets don't need a rook. They need proven players... If you can "smuggle" some one talent (game ready) for the low, I'm all for it.

Morey is good at adding both to flip one or the other later on.

I miss Sam Mack draining 3s and Mike James being a beast off the bench... His first run with us, especially the first year with jvg, he was siiiiick.

I hope Morey comes through with the depth fit... Potential be damned during James prime years

11. BreakYoSelfFool

Part of the thought is that some of those guys would have to go to bring in draft picks or proven players. If you feel we can win with what we have, you may be the only one. If we can for example, get a solid 6-man/starter and lottery pick for Clint Capela we have to take it in my opinion. My question is if we do have to get rid of a key rotation piece to improve and get a draft pick in the process, who fits our system the best. Not even who is the best player or would do you think will have the best career (probably Zion, Morant, or Bol would be consensus)

I think any of the guys mentioned could take Capela's or Rivers' spot immediately. Also Rivers is not under contract and will be hard to keep. All current rockets players will be less affordable than the rookie scale and we are gonna be in LT range without major trade. What can Capela do that Jaxson Hayes, Bol Bol, or Bruno Fernando couldn't do from day one? Heck what can Capela do that Capela (25th overall draft pick) couldn't do from day one? The Rockets are in a 3 year window, so you also need to consider next year and the year after. If the value is close, go with the appreciating guys not the depreciating ones.

Ja Morant could easily take over EGo's spot and could possibly be better than CP3 by the end of the season. There are quite a few guys that would move PJ Tucker to the bench, with DeAndre Hunter being one. And Zion would start for any team in the NBA.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The only way we trade for a draft pick is to use it in a trade for a veteran ad that would be a mid first at best. This is just a thread for absolute dreamers

RocketOrg likes this.
  13. BreakYoSelfFool

I think Rui is the best small ball 4 type player in the draft. He's a hard worker and he excels at running the court and finding open lanes, hitting open jumpers, cutting to the basket, and finishing around the rim. All things the Rockets need. Also, he shot 41% from 3 last season. I think he compares well to current day Marcus Morris (with an extra 6" on his wingspan) skill wise and possibly Rashard Lewis (Rockets biggest draft blunder of all time) if he continues to improve his range. He is also good at 1 on 1 defense because of his wingspan but needs to work on team D.

14. BreakYoSelfFool

Our GM is also a dreamer. Your narrow mind restricts you.

“You will never get any more out of this life than you expect.”
    “An intelligent mind is an inquiring mind. It is not satisfied with explanation, with conclusions. Nor is it a mind that believes, because belief is again another form of conclusion."

Also I hear this guy has a son with an even better stroke. We should draft him...

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah his dream is a championship which means continued dreams for better players or stars around his 30 year old mvp. Not some high draft pick in 2019

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Call me crazy, but I’d love to see the Rockets take a chance on Tacko Fall if he drops far enough in the draft.
    Realistically though the Rockets will probably trade the pick or draft a European player to stash overseas for a year or two.

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

0% chance Morey keeps him.

19. BreakYoSelfFool

I'd guess his goal is multiple championships, which is not possible without having young cheap talent. Most dynasties have young talents that give good production on rookie contracts. Off the top of my head there are Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Ginobli, Tony Parker, Norris Cole, Kawhi, and Taysaun Prince. How many one and done vet min guys win multiple championships?

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

how about he gets 1 actually before talking multiple. looks like 1 is already hard enough I'd say