1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela: Possible trade destinations!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Which rich center they gonna bench opening day Whiteside or Capela ? lol

2. omgTHEpotential

One of the most satisfying posts I've read here in a while :D

3. dream2franchise

LOL LOL LOL

They've wanted to move Whiteside for a while. Learn to have a discussion.

4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Learn to eat a ----

5. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

They’ve wanted to move Whiteside but no one wants him. If they had both him and Capela, then they would have even less leverage in a Whiteside trade. Teams would know that they would HAVE to move him and wouldn’t offer ANYTHING of value in return.

Y2JT likes this.
  6. R=$

R=$ Member

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You guys do realize that Love played only 22 games last season …. at $25m that equates to $1.136m per game.

He hasn't played 60 games in over 3 years.

But hey , if you want him sitting alongside CP3 on the bench …. by all means , bring him on but be prepared to watch Harden and the 4 stooges from the YMCA fight for the 8 spot.

tc0330, snowconeman22, jcf and 4 others like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cooler heads will prevail here. Clint still has lots of room to grow, and he will make another leap like he always does. He isn’t going anywhere...

AKA, always bet the exact opposite of the Clutchfans Divatards.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

How come no one can spell Capela right?

saleem and Vivi like this.
  11. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Do you not realize needing to trade Capela to win a title is literally not a fact?

And it's not even practical to argue considering the dominance of the 2018 team.

I've never been high on him but you are an ass. Stop letting idiots turn you into one. In reality most basketball fans are just stupid about the game. This forum is a pretty good example.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I tried it in trade machine. We can add Nance to the trade as well and then smile bigger when it goes thru that way instead. Unfortunately we'll have to get Sam Dekker some other way. He's the real key to this trade working... signing the FA Sam 'Hit the Deck' Dekker.

[​IMG]
    @Os Trigonum

JoeBarelyCares and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. basketballholic

Needing to trade Capela to win a title is literally a fact. Stop being stupid.

14. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

No its not on any level you moron.

Ugh.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Capela has been in the league for five seasons, and has yet to develop any semblance of an offensive game beyond layups and dunks. Right now, he’s a liability against small-ball lineups that are the rage in today’s NBA. That’s a major problem that is not likely to be resolved before next season. To improve their odds of beating the Warriors and winning a championship, the Rockets either have to move on and use him as a trade chip to get more playable pieces against the Warriors, or keep him and sign a small-ball power forward or center that is playable in the Tuckwagon lineup.

16. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

True, Capela is still young but its not hard to see his ceiling. He’s improved FT’s but he’ll never be a good FT shooter. Offensively he runs the floor well and does a nice job on the pick n roll but he’ll never have an outside shot, he just won’t. So, when you take away the lobs from Harden and put back dunks you have a guy that can’t grow much more.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

People that are BEGGING clint to develop a post game or a jump shot are misguided .

Yes those things would make Clint a better player

Yes those things would add versatility to our offense

But , would MDA EVER incorporate those plays ?

No , because they aren't efficient .

We would have Clint develop into lamarcus Aldridge and those skills would be wasted .

Clint can make a little jump hook , but he won't ever take those because it's been ingrained that it's a bad shot and that he should either go for the layup or pass it out to a 3 point shooter .

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Spent 10 minutes on the trade machine. Please see below for the answers to all of our problems.

Capela for Lonzo/Ingram
    Capela for Knox, Frank N, Lance Thomas
    Capela for Dwight + Satoransky
    Capela + CP3 for Wall + Beal
    Capela + Gordon for Gordon + Fultz
    Capela for Powell + Anunoby
    Capela + Nene for Hardaway Jr
    Capela + Nene for Draymond
    Capela + CP3 for Wiggins, Dieng, Covington
    Capela for E. Moore
    Capela + CP3 for Holiday + E. Moore
    Capela for TJ Warren + Holmes
    Capela + CP3 for TJ Warren, Josh Jackson, Holmes, Tyler Johnson
    Capela for Bjelica, Giles, Swanigan

@basketballholic - Capela trade aficionado - please advise.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I almost guarantee that if Houston is going to trade Capela it’s going to be for a 3&D player.
    Watching MIL, GS, and TOR spend very little on a C was an eye opener for DM & Co.
    MIL signed Lopez for the vet minimum.
    GS has Looney on a rookie contract and brought back Bogut (GS splays better with him on the floor than with DC) for less than a $1 million.
    TOR picked up Gasol off waivers using their MLE and is now a starter contributing significantly.
    Meanwhile Houston is paying Clint $90 million for the next 5 years. I think DM has figured out that there are centers on minimum level contracts that can do what Clint does if not more, especially if you have Harden and Paul running the offense which makes everyone look better.
    In all honesty I don’t think Houston makes a significant move other than trade Capela.
    I think once Capela is traded for someone like Bazemore, Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal, Courtney Lee, or even Demar DeRozen than I think Houston moves to also trading Nene and picking up DJ along with maybe McGee who definitely fits MDA system.
    I see Houston going into next season with

Chris Paul
    James Harden
    Danny Green
    (FA best case scenario) or one of the guys I mentioned.
    PJ Tucker
    DeAndre Jordan

Y2JT likes this.
  20. basketballholic

To understand a Capela trade you have to understand how Morey crafts deals. Morey likes to make trades that can be announced and then synergized into something greater later. He completes trades in stages wherever possible to create dynamic trade offerings in other deals.

And since we're looking at moving EGo and we may need to attach salary to EGo we need to have Capela's or done other players salary available to merge with ego if necessary.

So step 1 in a Capela is finding team that wants him and will give us what we want to be able to synergize later.

1. What we ideally want is a superstar. So, Capela and Ego and 4 picks is on the table for AD. And still be on the table until the draft when we want to have a home for Capela agreed upon. So we are shopping Capela and are prepared to move him on draft night with our without AD.

So barring a trade for AD....or one of Butler opting in and forcing a trade here we are shopping Capela for the best collection of draft pick value and low salary players that fit into our existing traded player exceptions. This would leave us with either a 14.8 TPE or 14.8 of contact value to aggregate into another trade later.

This is why trading Capela to Sacramento for Frank Mason III and a couple second rounders is a real possibility. Because that would be a trade where Sacramento took Capela into cap space and we would have 14.8 million of player salary to then take on an expiring contract (like Atlanta just did with Crabbe) for a first rounder and maybe more.

Look at OKC for instance. They have to exit the tax this year and next year. They just became one of the first teams to pay the repeater tax and they cannot do it again. So they ate going to shed salary. Period. And that's why you can bet your last dollar that if they can move Westbrook out they will. Because they have to be out of the tax a minimum of 2 years.

So something's got to give in OKC. Would you take Adams for Capela/Nene/2 minimum salaries? Would you take #21, Roberson, and PatPat for Capela? While sending Capela to Sacramento and getting back a second (Sac sends other second to OKC) ssns Mason III?

That's tempting to me. #21, a second, a cheap backup pg that Paul can train, and Roberson and Peterson on expirings.

But that deal offer anything like it isn't likely without knowing Capela has a home and we're willing to deal him for nothing but draft pick value and low salary players that fit into existing exceptions.

So the first part of a Capela trade is getting an agreement from a team to take him. And we want the best combination of cap space and pick value.

The second best thing we can get for Capela is a larger expiring contract (s) and as much draft pick value as possible. For obvious reasons. We're just skipping steps. Based on Atlanta/nets deal...a good young player (prince) on a rookie deal sent out in trade was worth a non-lottery first round pick (Or two future second round picks. By the way, in terms of trade value two second rounders is typical value for 1 non-lottery first rounder.)

Because Atlanta received a non- lottery first for taking on Crabbe and another first for sending out Prince on the 4th year of his rookie deal. So because Capela is a good young player.... but is already past his low rookie scale and is owed a sizable amount of money for 4 more years he may only be worth one non lottery first plus an expiring contract.

So the next best thing to not taking on a salary for Capela would be to take on a larger expiring salary(s) plus the best combination of picks and players that fit into existing TPE's or can be aggregated into Capela's 2019/20 salary, which is $14.896 million and could bring back as much as 19.896 in incoming salary by itself after July moratorium depending on what happens with Shump and other deals.
    So here's what i consider realistic deals in the initial phase of a Capela trade.

1. KIngs - Mason and two seconds

2. Orlando - Mozgov and a first......maybe Mozgof and Bamba but i don't think we want yo fool with Bamba.

3. Atlanta - Plumlee and a first (17) if they don't trade up... we'd obviously prefer no Plumlee and a higher pick.

4. Wizards - Mahinmi and 9 for Capela and a future....... second if we got one and could get away with it. Maybe take back Howard's 5 million deal and throw in one of our minimums too have his salary available for trade. Or maybe keep him as the new Nene. (I still love his defense and rebounding.)

5. Charlotte - Biyombo, #12..... them make it delicious by throwing them a second for Hernandgomez!!!! gimmiegimmiegimmie my name ain't jimmy. (Probably overly optimistic here. But I'd throw in a first and take back a second for Hernandgomez. That dude is ready to explode.

6. Bucks - George Hill and their first (I'd probably try to squeeze them for more though)

7. Detroit - if they rebuild (and I think it's coming. But i don't see a market to move lamebrain Drummond though so i don't really think this deal is possible.) 15 plus expiring deals. And I'd laugh if it including Thong. But I'd love to have GRob. He is way underrated and would be a cheap replacement for Ego when we trade Ego.)

All of the aforementioned type deals could be agreed to and leaked on draft night and then executed after the moratorium. And they could then balloon into 3 or 4 team trade.

The other thing is that a team like OKC could realize we're moving Capela and decide to offer up Adams for him, Nene, and a minimum salary or two. And that would be tempting since Adams is legitimately working on a 3 ball.

Or maybe Detroit realizes it's over and offers Drummond, plus 15 plus another and pick swap rights gor Capela... in that case I'd probably still pass unless i could reroute Drummond with one first later and there were no other deals to be made.

But before I'd take that deal im calling up Miami and offering a home run deal with them. Take JJ/DW/ Winslow/14 for CC/Ego/Nene/minimums. I might even send them Shump in a SnT for KO if they're agreeable. Get them out of the tax with all expiring contracts so they can create 2 max slots next summer and we've got everything we need to win it this next season.