1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Fit for the Rockets in 2019 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Jun 3, 2019.

?

Who is the Best Fit for the Rockets in 2019 Draft

1. Zion Williamson

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. De'Andre Hunter

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Bol Bol

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Jaxson Hayes

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Ja Morant

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Rui Hachimura

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. BreakYoSelfFool

While they currently don't have a draft pick, the Rockets have been rumored to trade for as high as the #4 pick. They also have been known to take gambles on lottery talent who didn't work out with their original team. Which 2019 prospect fits best with the Rockets needs and style of play?

Zion Williamson | Duke | Fr | PF | 6-7 – Explosive freak athlete, 6’11” wingspan, strong finisher, good rebounder

De'Andre Hunter | Virginia | Soph | SF | 6-7 – Great 3pt shooter (42%), 7’2” wingspan, can switch 1-5 on defense

Bol Bol | Oregon | Fr | C | 7-2 - Tall 7’2”, 7’5 wingspan, 3pt range (52%), good handles for a 7 footer, shot blocker (2.7bpg), only 19 (9 games)

Jaxson Hayes | Texas | Fr | PF | 6-11 – 7’4” wingspan, High FG percentage (72%), good shot blocker (2.2 bpg), Great lob target with good hands, Finishes strong around the rim - dunks everything, 74% FT

Ja Morant | Murray St. | Soph | PG | 6-3 – Great at getting to the rim and finishes at high rate, great passer, tough competitor, big game performer, only missed 1 3pt shot during NCAA tourney (87.5%)

Rui Hachimura | Gonzaga | Jr | PF | 6-8 - 7’2” wingspan, has consistently gotten better each year after starting playing ball late, improving 3pt shooter (41.7%), hard worker, Great conditioning

The following guys were removed because of shooting concerns:

RJ Barrett
    Cam Reddish
    Nassir "Malcom" Little aka Little Nas X -
    I really like that Country Road song though

I don't watch too much college ball so please excuse if I left off other good fits. I tried to factor in the Rockets love of the 3pt shot and affection for 6'8" PFs. I think Ja Morant would be a good replacement for Chris Paul and Jaxson Hayes could play well in Clint Capela's role, but a couple of the other guys are one of a kind players. Zion's physical ability seems like a cross between Jordan and Shaq; not an exact fit, but off the charts athlete that could probably destroy guys in pick n rolls with his size, strength, quickness, and leaping. Bol Bol is like Kevin Durant, but taller, better shot, and better shot blocking than he was at 19.

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

3,4,6,7 are available to trade,

Fake news shows bulls and suns are sending 6 and 7 for Paul.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'll take the 6'6 pf red shirted from Kentucky.

Kornel87 likes this.
  4. raining threes

I hope they pickup a 2nd rd pick and take Dean Wade.

Dude would look great shooting corner 3's.

5. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Hunter would be a great fit with our system, but trading all the way to 4 to get him wouldn’t be worth the cost.

Also, obviously Ja and Zion would be amazing, but neither would be obtainable.

6. HROZ

HROZ Member

We have like the 52nd pick?

Highlyrated and WestendMassive like this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Paul to Lakers for hunter And others is possible.
    Sauce believe that Lakers are not signing any stars.

8. BreakYoSelfFool

The Rockets once got #2 overall draft pick Steve Francis for Michael Dickerson, Brent Price, and a future first in 3 yrs. So I'm saying its possible. Also, between the Lakers and Suns rumors, may be a bidding war for Chris Paul. Even with that, I vote for Bol Bol that guy has Dirk, KD, KG potential as a 7ft tall 19 yr old. Plus his dad killed a lion with his bare hands. As good as they are, I'm not sure Zion or Ja fit well with Harden as they seem to require the ball in their hands to be effective.

Can someone merge the 2 threads, I messed up in creation

9. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I didn’t say Hunter wasn’t possible. I just said it wouldn’t be worth the cost imo.

10. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I’ll admit stranger things have happened, but it’s extremely unlikely.

Zion is Morey’s dream small ball 5 and I think would fit the system extremely well, but, again it’s a moot point.

11. ball king23

ball king23 Member

12. ball king23

ball king23 Member

Rui or Hunter does not matter to me they are both good fits

13. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

14. fattz

fattz Member

Jaxson Hayes (of the choices given) is the answer for us because rim running works with Harden. Capela would be a memory with a rookie scale comparable player because of saving with 2 max contracts.

IMO
    Bruno Fernando is the best pick for us in the draft.

#14 fattz, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need to get younger but draft picks are not going to play significant minutes for MDA.

Window is too tight, need proven young players that coaches trust. Not finding that in draft.

GotGame15 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  16. BreakYoSelfFool

I don't know a whole lot about Fernando, but I feel like one of his major strengths is his low post play. I don't think the Rockets would really utilize that as much. I like that he gets compared to guys like Hakeem (footwork and post fakes) and Serge Ibaka but that may be more because he is African born in my opinion. He doesn't seem as athletic as even Jaxson Hayes, much less those two guys. Also, the shot blocking is not as good. The Rockets need D and an intimidator inside. He also a little older than Jaxson and Bol. Also, I think there is something of an advantage being the child of a professional athlete that those two have.

I think Bol Bol is better than both though, he can do it all. I would say he is twice as good as Kristaps and similar type of potential that Doncic has. The foot injury is a little concerning since it is the same one that ultimately took out Yao, but I think Yao might not have been allowed the needed recovery time. Also, Jordan and Embid had the same injury and did well afterwards. Bol's dad lasted 11 years in NBA with a similar frame, probably slimmer so makes durability a little less of a concern. Elite shot blocker with elite 3 point shooting and solid handles and passing. If he had finished the season, Bol would have been a top 2 pick: 21 pts, 9.6 reb 2.7 blk, 52% 3pt on 3 attempts a game. The only thing stopping him from being the perfect small 5 is his height.

17. ball king23

ball king23 Member

RUI sitting there would be a great fit so would barret but that is a pipe dream

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Fits lol we have no chance at any of these guys the Rox are capped out and dont even have any of their picks.

19. tc0330

tc0330 Member

rj barret

20. BreakYoSelfFool

I disagree. Really sounds more like you are saying D'Antoni should be fired than that we cant use a skilled rookie. Either way its not really true. No coach that will play a worse player, simply because he is "more experienced". If anything they will play a worse player, because they have more potential that they want to develop. I wonder why D'Antoni didn't trust Faried during the playoffs, was he also too young and unproven? Pretty sure he D'Antoni trusts guys like Iman Shumpert because he trusts them, not because of their experience. Don't believe me? Check Iman's rookie year. As a rookie drafted outside the lottery, Iman played 20 mins in his first game as a pro and became a starter under D'antoni in his 4th game. Just off the top of my head, there was another young player named A'mare something that did pretty well with D'antoni along with a rookie Barbosa who started as soon as D'Antoni became coach of Phoenix. I don't really feel like going through D'Antoni's history, but there are plenty of young players and rookies he has started.