1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey needs a plan. Start w/trading Capela for...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, May 21, 2019.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Mathloom, you are correct in what you said. I'm saying that when Draymond goes to set that screen, Capela needs to stay with Draymond. I would MUCH rather have green shoot that 3 or even put the ball on the floor than for him to be matched up against either splash bro. If Draymond beats you, them so be it. Asking any big to cover those guys is not realistic.

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

Without capela, you would have nurkic. And get to 2 seed,

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean, they have a chronological relationship, which is literally all the post you quoted mentioned.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

MT would be a center on Rockets for sure. But why would Indy trade him for Clint is more important question.

It would have to be 3 team deal where Clint goes to team that needs center, like Celts.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Trade Capela to Atlanta for the #10 and Prince. Move the #10 and Gordon for Turner. They get a replacement for the suspended Tyreke Evans, they get a lottery pick to replenish their roster (they only have 8 players under contract so far for next season) and this opens up playing time for Sabonis at the starting Center position. Hell, throw in a future 2nd too if that's what it takes. We get Prince and Turner back with a trade exception of about $12 million from the Capela trade to add more talent/depth to the team.

Y2JT likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

That is a lot to give up for Turner IMO. But roster would be intriguing.

Harden
    CP3
    Prince
    Tucker
    Turner

But even if Rivers returned, the bench would be severely weaker. Losing EGo and Clint for return of just Prince and Turner may not be enough to get past GSW.

7. steddinotayto

True but with that $12 million trade exception Morey has options via trading for another team's player(s). You can either use the whole $12 million or split it off to acquire multiple players.

D-rock likes this.
  8. JayZ750

Indy isn't trading Myles Turner in most cases. I'd happily give them Capela+ EG in exchange.

9. JayZ750

Seems to me that Turner and Sabonis can both start and man the 4/5 positions. Neither one is quite the ballhandler you might want at the 4, but both are capable of occasionally putting it on the floor and finding the open man, and of course both can hit with some range. Thad Young is a FA. Effectively changing Young/Turner/Evans for the #10 and EG (with 1 year left) doesn't seem like a good outcome for the Pacers, to me.

10. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

If Capela stays with Draymond while Draymond screens Steph's defender, you've just given Steph an open three. Great way to lose a game.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think you guys are really overrating Turner, dude got outplayed by Sabonis for most of the season...but that's just me.

12. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Did Horford retire or something?

13. steddinotayto

You might be right about the Sabonis and Turner pairing, however, McMillan rarely played them together last year (http://www.82games.com/1819/1819IND2.HTM).

Re-signing Thad Young should be a priority for Indy, next would be bringing back Bogdanovic. Then bringing in a starting caliber guard like Gordon plus the #10 pick to either take the BPA or trade for more picks. If Oladipo is good to go by opening night, Indy would roll out:

Sabonis
    Young
    Bogdanovic
    Oladipo
    Gordon

with McBuckets, Leaf and maybe a re-signed Collison or Joseph on the bench, Indy would be deep, not including whoever they take with the #10.

14. JayZ750

I hear ya, but I almost think its worthless discussing, because in a discussion about which 2 of the 3 of Turner, Sabonis and Young you keep, it's not a discussion. You keep Turner and Sabonis. And I like Thad Young... but I'm not sure you resign him. I'd definitely prioritize Bogdanovic or resigning Young.

The discussion between Turner and Sabonis, in the rare event they would move on from one of those, is a little trickier. Sabonis "seems" to have more offensive capabilities and upside, but then he is playing against different competition because he's a bench player. But beyond that, the Pacers "kept it together" (relative speaking) and relied on their defense more than anything. And Turner is a true DPOY candidate. He's the rare DPOY big that might not be neutralized by "small-ball". I mean he's no Draymond... but who is? He's better than Gobert in guarding the perimeter, that's for sure. Pus comes to shove, I'm keeping Turner. Of course, contracts come into play. Turner already signed his extension... Sabonis is still on a rookie deal.

In any case, I don't think any of the above is worth discussing. I feel 99% confident that Turner and Sabonis are both on the Pacers next year, but if one isn't, it's because they've gotten something back universally agreed as much better than EG and the #10 pick.

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why dun we go for Domantas S. then, amico?

16. JayZ750

It's the defense.

https://stats.nba.com/players/defen...G*20&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season

Turner guards a HUGE 8.5 fga/g at the rim, at 54% fg% given up, which is very solid. Giannis gave up 52%, but on only 3.8 fga/g. Gobert was slightly better % wise, and guards the most at the rim.

Capela guarded 7.7 fga/g at the rim, but at 59%.

Sabonis guarded 5 fga/g at the rim at 61%.

Sabonis of course, by virtue of being a bench player, is playing against other bench players.

All that said... it's close to a push. I'd probably choose Turner over Sabonis because defense is super underrated, but I'd be extremely happy with either, and ecstatic with both. If Oladipo can stay healthy, if they can resign Bogdanovic to a decent deal, and it they can add another legit FA, the Pacers wouldn't surprise me to be an ECF (or better) team in the next few years. Turner, Sabonis and Bogd. all continue to improve and are young.

D-rock likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

Would you trade Gordon for Sabonis straight up and keep the #10 for another trade?

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol, i don't think they'll move him unless they get back an all star caliber player, and tbh, i'm not sure he'd be a great pit here, i do like him but, i don't know...

19. JayZ750

Absolutely.

Everyone would. Pacers are NOT doing that. Sabonis is ridiculously good and only 22 years old. Pacers wouldn't do EG + #10 for Sabonis.

Honestly, I don't think there's any combination of assets outside of something involving Harden that would get you Sabonis. Or Turner. It MIGHT be different if the Pacers had some crazy contracts to get off of, but they don't. They're "worst" contract at this point is Dougie Buckets, and he's only got one more year at $7.3 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/cap/2019/

I actually think they can, and would be beneficial to them to throw a max contract at Kemba. Then resign Bogdanovic. Their starting five could be:
    Kemba, Oladipo, Bogdanovic, Sabonis, Turner

I'm not sure people realize how "good" Bogdanovic was after Oladipo went down. In 23 post all star break games, he put up 20.9 ppg / 4.4 rpg / 2.5 apg with 42.2% three point shooting on 5 attempts a game.

You might not think it, but the above starting 5, if healthy, can compete with any team in the East... imo... with the right coaching, chemistry and role player add-ons.

Vivi and steddinotayto like this.
  20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Sabonis closed out some games for the Pacers though, but maybe it happened in some particular matchups or he was just on fire. Point taken on the defense, i admit i didn't think he was as good as the numbers are saying.