1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Construction on Loop 610

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, May 30, 2019.

1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This. The whole plan is LRT convertible. This BRT line was the only way to get this corridor the mass transit that the people approved years ago but got blocked by obstructionist Culberson.

Sajan likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lot of 288 talk in here. Not sure I've ever even been on that before. Lulz. 610 construction is RIGHT at my exit. Kills me.

3. Poloshirtbandit

Two layer was one of the ideas discussed but I think that's on hold for now.

BruceAndre likes this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

I truly hope 288 is done this year. I am so sick of those unfinished roads and ever changing traffic patterns.

Also they are replacing all the interchanges at 610/59 near the galleria. That's supposed to last 6 freaking years!

The post oak construction is done?

Houstunna likes this.
  5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Let me dispel some myths about transit and freeway construction.

1. Myth: Mass transit, including the system they are building along Post Oak, will reduce traffic.
    Truth: Mass transit is designed to give people transportation options. Every major city in the world has traffic congestion so if you expect less congestion, you will be disappointed. Newsflash: Traffic is here to stay.

2. Myth: Building commuter rail, where people live, is a better use of money.
    Truth: No transportation system is built outside-in. That makes zero sense. Every city infrastructure in the history of cities is built inside-out, including Houston's road systems (e.g. 610 --> BW8 --> 99). If you build a commuter rail that dumps you off in some random spot downtown, and you work in, say, Greenway Plaza (which has something like 30 high rise office buildings), how is that helpful? Even if it dropped you off in west downtown and you work on the east side, its a 15-20 walk. How is that helpful? Furthermore, outlying areas tend to get reshaped quickly in the span of a decade or less. So it's more expensive and risky to build commuter lines into newer parts of the city. Everything inside 610 is pretty close to a sure bet. Want a shorter drive, move closer.

3. Myth: Building more/bigger freeways will reduce traffic.
    Truth: Freeways are supply/demand. Want to reduce demand? Charge a higher price. Increasing freeway supply will increase demand. How many times have you delayed an errand because it was rush hour? You told yourself you'd wait until the traffic dies down, right? If there was no traffic, you'd have no qualms about running that extra errand, right? Well, you and thousands of your neighbors all had the same thought keeping you off the road till later. Building bigger roads just entices more traffic. Want to reduce traffic? Charge more tolls. In England, they just started charging ALL auto traffic in central London. NYC is considering the same. Your tax dollars to build more roads is, at best, a short term sugar rush and in the end just a mirage.

4. Myth: Mass transit is only for the poor and decreases land value.
    Truth: Living close to (but not too close) improves land value. In every major city in the world that has a good transit system (which is pretty much every city outside the US and some in the US), real estate listing include how far they are to a transit stop. Why? Because it is a significant value giving you the buyer the option of not buying a (second) car. In the DC area, Georgetown successfully fought to keep rail out of their neighborhood. Fast forward 30 years and, surprise, now they want it. It's an isolated neighborhood from the rest of DC.

5. Bonus Myth: Mass transit invites criminal behavior into good neighborhoods.
    Truth: Who breaks into your house to steal a TV and escapes on a train? That's just ignorance talking from some elitists.

pasox2 and Sajan like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...the reason they had to use Buses is because Republican Congressman has blocked METRO funding for expanded Rail. That corrupt ******* Culberson was finally defeated, so maybe Rail can now expand.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I agree with almost everything you said except this. There is a huge correlation in the greater Houston area: as Metro has added bus lines further into the suburbs, it has increased crime along those bus lines. You can almost draw a map of it.

The perfect example is FM 1960 and when they added buses in the 90s.

9. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Some great points -- but, it's my understanding that very urban mass transit system in the US has always had to be subsidized by taxpayers. That is to say, none of them have ever operated at a profit.

Now, this is what I have been told by a very learned person, years ago.

It doesn't detract (necessarily) from your other points; just thought it should be added to the mix.

In terms of answers, it will have to be (I think) a) making commuters pay for it (ie, tollway); b) flex working schedules; and c) telecommuting. Of course, not every job can be "flex."

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

LOL, we need our own subforum.

11. droxford

droxford Member

So.. .it's interesting that the politics gets brought up again here... I'm gonna voice my opinion on this topic....

There's no precise right or wrong in such situations. Liberals aren't all wrong. If we didn't have liberals, we would have things like bike paths, public parks, clean air, safer working conditions, etc.
    But on the flip side, if we didn't have conservatives, our interests in such things would get out of control, with costs not being considered enough to make reasonable decisions.

America will always need both to find the balance between investment and ROI. In this particular situation, the conservative perspective has been holding Houston back from the advancement that it needs in order to facilitate population growth while maintaining (or improving) the cost and experience of commuting.

Unfortunately, when we vote, it's not as simple as "vote for this candidate because she supports ___ program". There's always ulterior motives and pork involved with the politics. It's sad.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Whoever planned the last 610 construction is a complete dumbass.

They tore up the freeway for years yet still have four lanes of traffic each direction. All they did was stack the exits-entrances and added separate ramps for Westheimer. That freeway needs 6 lanes minimum with express lanes going from 59 to 10.

Those fools wasted time and money which will be reimbursed through increased taxes and lame traffic tickets.

#32 Houstunna, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    BigM likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Nice post, but give me more lanes and let's see what happens. Houston is too car-crazy to have some of the freeways we do. Freakin two lanes of I-10 going under 45.. that's just blatant stupidity. The entire downtown area is dumb.

One problem with some of these newer freeways is that the looong ramps for interchanges disallow feeder road traffic to enter a freeway then enter the incoming freeway. This happens because the ramp begins miles before you get to the incoming freeway.

#33 Houstunna, May 31, 2019
  14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Oh they bout to jimmy-jack with that too...

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Left lane for fast traffic only. Make that happen.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Because houston drivers are stupid and they can't take a turn at highway speeds. So the damn exits/entrances and 10 miles long.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The main problem of drivers is the same problem with most things in life..... People being selfish/inconsiderate.

Newsflash: The world is bigger than just your needs.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Exhibit B: Merge lanes in Houston.

I mean is it that hard to say...u go, then i go, now u go, ok i go..

instead: ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL MINEEEEEEEEE THE ENTIRE LANE IS MINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So I'm supposed to merge late?
    Yes! As you see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, stay in your current lane up to the point of merge. Then take turns with other drivers to safely and smoothly ease into the remaining lane. Don't worry about being "Minnesota nice." When traffic is heavy and slow, it is much safer for motorists to remain in their current lane until the point where traffic can orderly take turns merging.

#38 Sajan, May 31, 2019
    BruceAndre and Houstunna like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Houstonian who's never been outside the Loop to go to the coast. Laughable.

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep. And people wonder where my misanthropy comes from …..