1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) MDA has ended contract talks with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 30, 2019.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

God this team is ****ed. Who is going to want to be an assistant to a lame duck coach? What a disaster.

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I like that theory. But there is no way Diantoni would just walk away with one year left on his deal and leave the money on the table, right? So why not just fire him and you would still have the appeal to potential free agents.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then Daryl is in the middle of hiring a head coach, a distraction from what has to be his paramount interest, getting the best player(s) to play with Harden and to beat Oakland. The MDA situation will resolve itself one way or another, eventually, in my opinion.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Reasonable to expect that the Rockets will offer a lesser player than Harden the opportunity to have a bigger say than Harden in a coaching hire?

Sounds like a situation that could get even messier.

5. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Anyone that thinks all these slow media leaks aren't on purpose is delusional...

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just for the sake of argument, do you consider Kevin Durant a "lesser player?" And might KD like a voice in picking his next coach? Just for the sake of argument, understand.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't they fire at least three of them? I lost count.

Anyway, the more I think about this, the more I believe that the firing of assistants was what made this whole thing weird. If they were not ready to take on MDA for a longer term, why would they want to change the assistants now? There were several options they could take:

1. Do not negotiate an extension. Let it play out and make the decision next year.
    2. Negotiate an extension and hope to retain MDA.
    3. Fire MDA now.

Any of those options should have been done before they fired the assistants. The only acceptable explanation to me is that MDA wanted to fire those assistants too.

And looks like they took option #2 but was not sure if they really wanted him long term. Another weird move. If they were not sure, why didn't they just wait till next year?

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I agree. It has to be Harden's call.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Oh I wasn't thinking of a top tier FA, I see your point. I was thinking more like a Jimmy Butler.

Frankly I do consider Durant a slightly lesser player to Harden, but they're close enough in status and friendship that I wouldn't see that being a problem.

Heavily depends on the player I guess.

Deckard likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember when Adelman was pissed off and leave (or at least part of the reasons for the failed negotiation) when they insisted on him grooming the guy they picked as the future successor.

Deckard likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't really like the idea of a player picking a coach, but it would certainly be safer as far as stability goes.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Remember the rumor that he was interviewing with Philly?

Where there's smoke there's fire

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yeah, I see where you are coming from. It would be a huge distraction IMO if Dantoni stayed on, all the while knowing the rockets don't want him. Free agents wouldn't want to come into that situation either. Basically, if they don't want him, they should just fire him IMO.

14. Mr. Clutch

He's smart at making money. But that might not maximize our championship chances

15. farhen

farhen Member

Jim deserve better coach

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yeah, I don't either. I think they should fire him if they don't want him. My gut feeling is that Harden would be ok with that.

Mathloom likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

I don't necessarily disagree with you.

But if that's how he feels then he should fire dantoni not offer him a below market extension

18. Texanstradamus

Rockets literally becoming the worst ran team in Houston overnight geez

19. raining threes

20. Texanstradamus

Morey screwed us with that cp3 contract after a bad hammy killed a potential finals appearance who would have though a 34 yr old injury prone pg getting a Super Max was a bad idea