1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) MDA has ended contract talks with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 30, 2019.

1. rocks123

rocks123 Member

confusing moves by the rockets. its either you want him or not. make up your mind. incentive based? hes not some college coach you need to test. the guy been in the league for decades. he is who he is.

Gray_Jay and J.R. like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You obviously don't remember all the crap he did when he first started here... or ask some of his former employees what they think of him. lol.

Easy, lw17 and harold bingo like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He didn’t pick any of them. Weird situation here where coach doesn’t bring his guys. Morey gave him a list of coaches he could choose from apparently and will do so again

RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Casey got fired from his last job despite being COTY and replaced by a rookie head coach on a three year, $10 million deal who hasn’t his team in the Finals.

I’m not saying Tilman knows what he’s doing or the offer was perfectly fair or not.

But it doesn’t sound insane. They fell short of their goal. The offer gave him an opportunity to make $9 million a year.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Morey gave him a "list?" MDA must have wanted the job badly to agree with that caveat.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

What's unfortunate here is that this is a moment to re-asses who and what we are as a team. This is the time to get creative, but finding solutions to our problems (like solving the warriors issue) takes time. We need to be spending every moment in the off-season fine-tuning those solutions and not wasting time throwing our entire coaching staff and potentially roster into transition.

PhilCollins likes this.
  7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Does it cost Tilman money to fire him? What’s the point of trying to force him out?

treyk3 likes this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sure. He still has to pay the rest of his contract. Optics? Letting him twist in the wind while Morey sees if he can entice a star player by offering him input on the next coaching hire? Even the say-so, if Harden agrees? That's the theory I've got right now.

cjvnyc likes this.
  9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Anyone calling Tillman cheap is a straight idiot...Tillman spent 2.2 billion of his hard earned money on the Rockets...

Mike D'Antoni is a great offensive mind, but in the playoffs he always seems to be outwitted by better coaching...Tillman is 100% correct to put pressure on D'Antoni...he was brought here to win a title not to get the "highest wins for regular season games". Same with Chris Paul...and especially James Harden. When they arent meeting those goals it is time to completely break things apart and its better to do it early when you can. The Warriors have sent the Rockets home 4 out of 5 times I believe...We arent beating them as presently constructed. Something has to change, and the offense has to flow naturally.

Paul is a shell of himself, and this year he really looked OLD. Harden has developed a postseason reputation and appears to be not as receptive to coach as he once was.

Vivi, RayRay10, BamBam and 1 other person like this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hating a guy for being a competitive a-hole and hating a guy for being cheap and dumb are not exactly the same thing, in the context of what you want in a business owner.

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The truth is, when/if Dantoni ever demonstrates that he's capable of making in-game adjustments, THAT'S WHEN he'll get the vote of confidence from Tilman/Morey, and that's when the multi-year extensions start taking form. His stubbornness cost him an extension!! You can't continue doing the same things that have hindered the organization from winning a championship and expect to get different results! I know Morey-ball is a mandate to keeping the head coaching job, BUT it does not supersede WINNING! We can beat just about everyone with Morey-ball, but not the Warriors! This has been proven several times already, you have to make adjustments to have a legitimate shot of de-throning them!!!!!!!

Like others have said/reported, If they truly had confidence in his ability to get them a championship, he would already have an extension waiting for him to sign...

Go Rockets!!!

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Far be it from me to call a couple of billionaires "dumb", but sometimes that's just subjective -- especially coming from a bunch of basketball and business know-it-alls like us. I'm sure both guys were called "dumb" and both guys definitely are/were being blamed for being cheap.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sure. I'm just saying that dumb and cheap vs hyper cost-conscious and hyper-competitive can manifest as the same thing, though. You don't really want to work for either of them.

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't think he lasts until; the all star break

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think they are blowing it up …. unless you call moving CP3 for less than an allstar blowing it up.

I don't see Capela being moved nor Tucker and definitely not Harden.

EG …. I could see him being moved depending upon what happens elsewhere.

Cp3 for quality role players to compliment Harden. Those two just don't fit together.

Lakers , Miami , Charlotte …. maybe even Nawlins or Philly.

Moving CP3 can provide up to $24m in actual cap space. (You know you have to take something back unless its the Flakers). Maybe you only end up with $8-10m …. that's still enough to sign a quality player , then you have the Full MLE and BAE to play with. (to get that cap space you have to renounce Shumpert's cap hold).

If instead you take players back in exchange for CP3 , you just have to make sure they compliment Harden / fit what you want to do.
    I'm less concerned about the roster now , assuming CP3 is moved than I was with the idea of going into the season with CP3 under contract and being up against the tax line with nothing but minimum's to hand out.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Morey looks like he just came out of a cage match lol.

He is going to leave the Rockets for another opportunity within 2 seasons.

Most likely after this season.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. BullRider

BullRider Member

if the Rockets were trying to push mda out they would not have proposed 5 million for another year.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

My offer still stands to not coach the Rockets. I'll accept half of what they pay Dan Tony.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Michelle Beadle let it slip that Chauncey might be calling his last game. I wish he was interested in being a coach and not front office. He’d be a great associate head coach for us.

20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

MDA just wants to hitch his wagon to Harden for the last few years of his contract. I feel like management knows that IF things go sideways in the next couple of years then MDA is going to retire and F them.

Management want MDA to go year to year for a reason.

MDA wants 3-4 more years for a reason.

The two sides need to meet in the middle and award MDA with 2 years after this one.