1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) MDA has ended contract talks with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 30, 2019.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if they can't figure out an extension they need to fire him and move on. a lame duck coach being replaced midseason sounds like another wasted year in harden's prime

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well they got TMac and Yao. Didn't ultimately get to top 5 level or end the way we all wanted, but they put together on a paper a team they thought, and we thought, would be competitive all the way to ring potential.

Harden is obviously better.

Harden will be gone, eventually. It's a matter of organizational competence to prepare for that appropriately.

Heck, the Spurs did it by being shrewd, and plucking Kawhi. Then they f'd it up, by f'ing with him. [whether Kawhi could have been more communicative or whatever, the Spurs completely botched that organizationally...]. Had they not done that, they'd be here as a top seed still. Same way the Warriors went from crap crap crap crap crap to dynasty. Smart organizations, with a little bit of luck.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, not that.

It is not just you, there were people who thought they could find reasons to believe in Harden and this system again. Excuses of some sort.

I think Harden is pretty unique, his strengths and his flaws.

I am not sure what the future holds but from suddenly changing owners to potentially coaching changes, and potentially blowing up half of the squad.

I dun see perennial contenders surviving this kind of instability. Yep, we were never perennial.

As one poster already said, this feels like a perennial purgatory. The one perennial.

Unprecedented IMHO. I might be wrong, history is not on my side.

4. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Again, I am for coaching change, but firing your head coach should be handled with care. In the past 5 years, only one coach is getting the job done in terms of winning it all, do teams fire all of their coaches?

The incentive based move claimed by Tilman smells like a cheap move.

Little Bit likes this.
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Cheap move to squeeze him out. That's what it is. Tilman probably doesn't want to overpay the next coach either.

7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

8. HP3

HP3 Member

So yea you wanna tank and get rid of Harden now? That’s not a good move, we will NEVER EVER get back fair value fir him

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He was willing to add just one year and they said no?

They better f'ing fire him. If you think I've been writing books the past few days, I'mma drop novels this whole summer if they send us into the season with a lame duck bitter head coach and assistant who are willing to slide onto an unstable bench.

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man, is it too late to bring back Les Alexander? Say what you want about Leslie, at least he ran a respectable organization.

Little Bit likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Agree - but it doesn't seem workable. Why would he quit? He's in a win-win either way. He has guaranteed money, and a job on a really good team if they don't fire him. If the Rockets don't want him, he knows they'd fire him before the season and he'd get his money for not working. It's not like he needs to quit to go get another NBA job now, so I'm not sure why the Rockets would think he'd quit.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I would not be bothered by this move by the front office if the other coaches weren't in place.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Like even the Thunder don’t do this with Billy Donovan, Morey what you doing :(

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

After reading everything in these 8 pages, my opinion on this is...that i don't really get what's going on lol, the one year incentive based extension sounds...odd, but personally i'm fine with letting him coach the last year of his contract if you think there isn't a guy worth to get now, and then see what happens, i wouldn't have extended him at this point.

YOLO likes this.
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Literally everything Tillman has done since he has gotten here has reflected cost savings over team success. The fact that he is still duping so many people amazes me

Little Bit likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man, you guys were mad with Mchale was extended then eventually fired. If MDA is still here, let him work for that extension. Get to a final and wait for the money to roll in.

I'm not even mad.

Vivi and YOLO like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

And that’s fine but the problem is why would you fire his staff, Almost like self sabotage it’s like wasting a year of Harden, not to mention it’s not like Morey to play this indirectly and dare I say under handedly

19. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Just seems so strange to me to come out of this whole thing thinking, coaching really needs to be changed. Look at Warriors roster and look at Rockets roster. In a game of pickup, how many Warriors players are taken before
    This was my fear the second I heard he was buying the team.

HP3 likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Why wouldn’t you if you’re not letting the coach go. Some kind of changes were going to be made after losing the way they did. So it’s them and some players the way it’s looking like now.