1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa out 4-6 weeks with cracked rib

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, May 29, 2019.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

When Correa was 22 I said that if you offered me Jeters career (individually, not counting rings) for Correa or let it play out I would have picked let it play out. The only comp I’ve seen to him, talent wise, at SS is ARod. It’s not looking like that will be his career. I’m not down on him. I’d offer him 12 for 330 tomorrow if he’d sign it to be an Astro for life. I love Correa. But, it’s starting to get dicey with these injuries and not having had a truly monster season yet.

BigM likes this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d sell as soon as a good enough offer came around. No rush, but he’s going to want a huge contract and he hasn’t stayed healthy enough to warrant one. Somebody is going to overpay for the guy, but I don’t think it’s going to be Houston and I’m alright with that. What I’m not alright with would be losing him for nothing. Now if he stays healthy for a while, maybe that’s a different story, but so far it hasn’t worked out that way, and he’s still a young guy. To me that’s concerning.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  3. astros123

astros123 Member

Lol Correa's fiance seems pissed off on IG . Shes blocking people left and right and even blocked the Astros fan pages hahaha. Anyone who thinks Correa is going stay in Houston past his contract has lost touch of reality. Trade him during the offseason for a bona fide #2 if we lose Cole.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Yeah go to NY or LA, I'm sure the fans and media are more easy going on their players than in Houston.

5. SemisolidSnake

Luhnow's too smart to pay Correa big for what we've seen from him in the past couple seasons. And the injuries are definitely a part of that, as well they should be. He was too smart to shell out for Keuchel or Marwin. He'll have plenty of options to fill a Correa hole. No, I don't know what they are, but I trust Luhnow. He's not building a franchise of likable players. That's Scott McClelland. Luhnow is going to always be focused on building a winning team.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I've injured rib cartilage before in jiujitsu, but to crack a rib you have really be doing something pretty damn forceful. Maybe the rib isn't actually broken and it's just cartilage damage. Either way it's annoying as hell and slow to recover from.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

So I was just curious how much time Correa has missed compared to the other guys. Below is the percentage of games missed in their full seasons. I did not include any of their first years where they were brought up from the minors and I did not include this years games either. These are the seasons they started and finished in the majors. I also realize this includes scheduled days off and game where maybe they came in late to pinch it, but that should all even itself out for the most part.

Altuve missed 6% of the games (7 full seasons)
    Bregman missed 4% of the games (2 full seasons)
    Springer missed 16% of the games (4 full seasons)
    Correa missed 23% of the games (3 full seasons)

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd venture the opposite way of thinking... if he stays healthy for awhile, and plays at the level he has (or exceeds it) during the times he's been healthy, the Astros would have gotten max value out of his true prime years... and could then consider making a long term investment or not at his true value. Likewise, the Correa camp/agent would possibly be sacrificing more FA dollars by signing an extension now, even though it would be good insurance in case he truly does have a freak injury every single season.

The Astros got that sort of career out of Keuchel. I don't think anybody is losing sleep over losing him for "nothing". Teams and players do have the ability to get the most out of one another, and play things out.

The Astros don't have to sign him now, don't have to trade him now... but they do need him to recover and get back to doing exactly what he was doing the first 2 months of this season.

BigM likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Springer missed a good chunk the first season (I'm presuming you didn't include it) due to a hamstring injury (similar to what he has now).

Altuve was ultra-durable... till he wasn't.

texans1095 likes this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It was his quad in 2014 but I did not include that. I wasn't trying to skew the data. I didn't feel like looking up who made their debuts and when. I started with their first FULL MLB seasons. Springer also broke his wrist in 2015 and missed a big junk of the season. This was his first full year and is included in my data.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Altuve, Bregman, Correa were post super-2 callups. Springer came up after the first month in 2014.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I hear this kid Lance McCullers is available to join the big league roster

texans1095 likes this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Let me know when he becomes a bona fide number 2....

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Probably next year.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So he broke it playing basketball? Nobody believes that massage BS.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We aren't trading Correa unless something goes horribly wrong.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's officially injury prone at this point, it's a deserved label that nobody should question. By the time he returns he will have basically missed a full season's worth of baseball games since we called him up.

On the field there's nothing to question. Save for last season, which was almost certainly injury related, he has been on a first ballot HOF trajectory.Trading him simply isn't a realistic expectation, for a multitude of reasons, even if one wanted to (which no sane person should)

He still has 2 full seasons to shake the injury prone label and cash in fully, but at this point if he were a free agent anybody would be foolish to give him a Harper/Machado like contract. The most important ability is availability and right now there's no reason to think Correa won't miss a huge chunk of the season, it's happened 4 times in 6 years.

18. CinematicFusion

So how bad is Correa's back if it takes an Elephant to give him a deep massage?

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Correa's Masseuse:

[​IMG]

whiskeyred and donkeypunch like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member