1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa out 4-6 weeks with cracked rib

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, May 29, 2019.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm officially on the trade Correa bandwagon.

Obviously, you can't trade him at the deadline, but either in the offseason or next year at the deadline (unless he has another "massage" again) I would trade him. Maximize his value when he has either 2 seasons or 1.5 left. Move Bregman to SS, put Gurriel at 3B if Toro isn't ready, and Alvarez and Beer at 1B/DH eventually.

lw17 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Obviously you’d prefer to get some value in return for Correa instead of letting him walk in FA, but there’s no denying that when he’s on the field he’s a huge asset. I know he’s trending toward the injury prone label, but I’m not sure if that’s justification enough to trade him. Especially since you’d be getting prospects in return that would likely be at least 2-3 years away from the MLB. It this was 2013 then maybe we make that move, but we’re a legit contender and I just can’t see us trading away one of our best players.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Correa is def gone. Astros will look to trade because our money won’t be enough for him.

lw17 likes this.
  4. AKVerse47

AKVerse47 Member

No, once he comes back. He wouldn't be able to pass a physical right now anyway. I should have worded my post better.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Cole leaves as a free agent in the off season I would be ok with them using Correa to fetch an all star #2 SP.

6. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

They're not trading Correa. Sheesh.

BigM likes this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Stupid injuries aside... the vitriol towards Correa when things are going bad for him (even fluke things) certainly outweigh the praise he gets when he’s going good.

What is it with that phenomenon? If people aren’t b****ing about his injury, they’re b****ing about how he’s most definitely gone (which isn’t a concern for another 4 years... or longer if CBA stuff happens). Never much in between.

Just strange.

everyday eddie and BigM like this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

Well, expectations were through the roof and have been for a long time. In the last couple years he has not lived up to that and has 1. been injured 2. struggled 3. been injured and struggled. There have been not been many long stretches of sustained excellence like most were expecting/hoping for.

*I know you know this and are gonna give me some prefabricated push back but that's my take.

lw17 likes this.
  10. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

The Astros are not going to trade Correa.

But this could definitely make the FO think twice about what kind of long-term deal they may offer him. Despite the fact that most of his injuries have happened on the field, if Correa can’t stay healthy through a full season (which he yet to prove that he can), then does the team really want to sign him to a long-term and expensive deal?

I have to believe that it bothered Correa that Bregman got an extension before he did and that this season was a very important one for him to play well and stay on the field. While Correa has played well, the fact that once again he cannot stay healthy hurts his chances to get that big money deal he wants.

While many will argue that he is still young, I would argue back that as a young man he is consistently injured and while he can bounce back quicker, that ability lessens the older that you get, especially as a professional athlete putting your body through the wear and tear of the season.

Correa has superstar potential, but still has yet to put it together, as a fan it’s frustrating to see. I understand that he’s human and can be injured, but when you compare Correa to Bregman who seems to embody what Correa talked about when he was drafted, playing the best that he can, wanting to be a hall-of-farmer, etc. maybe Correa has gotten comfortable and complacent, I don’t know.

As fans we can only hope that he comes back healthy and help this team win another World Series.

And for all the folks that talk about Correa leaving for a bigger market, just about every major market team has a young good shortstop. I could see Correa going to Miami, big Puerto Rican population, playing for his boyhood idol Derek Jeter, etc.

11. the shark

the shark Member

Claims he cracked his rib during a "massage"?

Pull my other leg and it plays jingle bells.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

WTF? Is Brian Cushing now doing massage therapy?

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, there have been sustained stretches... the point is that the praise during these stretches (including the first 2 months of this season) is nowhere near the anger.

I'm sure you'll come back and quote the disappointing stats during his year 21 and 22 seasons, while ignoring the 23 year old pre-back injury ones, and basically now writing off this year's performance due to this injury.

Nobody is making excuses... but he was playing excellent baseball on both sides of the field.

BigM likes this.
  14. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Agreed. Some people seem to think that his inability to stay healthy is somehow a moral failing.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also, I'm not as threatened with these injuries as some seem to be. He had a bad back last year... that healed after extended rest. People went from questioning whether or not he can be an all-star again to taking for granted he should have a +.900 OPS.

He's recovered from every other injury he had, and odds are he'll recover from this one as well. Similar stuff happened with Springer early on, (till he played mostly full seasons).

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d trade him. So much potential, but his contract demands will be outrageous and he can’t stay on the field now at 24, what’s it going to be like when the dude gets older? Who breaks a rib getting a massage? He’s way too valuable to let just walk away in free agency, so you might as well get something for him.

AKVerse47 likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So you sell low on him 3 years before he’s a free agent? Cool.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's injury prone. Period. I don't care how. I don't care why. You don't invest in him long term. That is why Brantley only got a 2 year deal and McCutchen, who is a lesser player at this point, got a 3 year deal. McCutchen played a minimuim of 146 games in his 9 full seasons in MLB. This is Correa's 4th full season in the bigs. He's played more than 110 games ONE time and it doesn't look like he will even hit 110 games played this year either.

In my opinion, that means no long term deal. That means you either trade him or let him walk in free agency. I would rather trade him a little early and maximize his trade value. Also, the whole qualifying offer thing getting you a draft pick didn't work so well with Keuchel, and now that we aren't a revenue sharing team it is worth even less. Hopefully, Correa comes back strong in the 2nd half and you trade him in the offseason or at the deadline next year. It is not a personal attack on Correa. It is the business of baseball. I am a fan of the Houston Astros first and foremost over any individual player.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  19. CrazyJoeDavola

Jeff Kent admires Correa's honesty.

[​IMG]

CrushCity likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Cold Hard, HTM and Fantasma Negro like this.