1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas’ Long-Awaited Bullet Train Plans to Start Construction

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I know there’s probably like a really simple explanation why they can’t just build the tracks up and down I-45 but....why?

Also have read that the rail is so expensive very few ever become profitable. So basically it just becomes a government subsidized tax problem forever? Like the beltway, it’ll be free eventually right? I think we’ve lined enough super rich pockets that they can either do humanity a favor for once and pay for their own train business...or just not saddle us with another tax burden. Because I could give a damn less about train or no train. Tax or no tax my vote is no tax.

3. Buck Turgidson

You and Max better get up pretty ******* early in the moring then....

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Really good watch. Its unfortunate the US government cant support such a system after already spending billions in California, yet the private sector is closer to realization in Texas. Such a freaking broken system. And yet the communists in China have finished theirs in no time

If im not wrong, I think the Japanese system is also funded by the private sector (i should probably Google this). I'm not sure if it's breaking even or incurring losses (I should've googled this also)

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. droxford

droxford Member

Well, the government there owns all the land. There is ZERO cost of land purchase to develop trains across China. America is burdened with individual freedom and the right to own land. Building trains across America means purchasing land rights from land owners to the tune of billions.

...and, yeah, many years ago, a conspiracy to kill rail and establish infrastructure on cars has continued to plague our government and society, even to this day.

7. TMac'n

I will say this though: I am kinda glad we have all the roads and current infrastructure that we do for cars. I like the ability to drive where ever without totally being dependent on public transportation. Also, oil and gas has made Houston what it is, and without it we would turn into Detroit.

But Texas (and America) really needs to turn their attention to public transportation. I hope this private sector Texas High Speed Rail is a success and sets some sort of example for the rest of the country

Jayzers_100 and ipaman like this.
  8. droxford

droxford Member

I'd like to see a balance between rail and cars. I like the independence and freedom of cars, but our state and country are BIG and as our population increases, our need for high speed rail increase more and more each day.

9. Fantasma Negro

2025? We should have jet-packs by then

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

It's only a matter of time before the US realizes we need rail. The congestion and pollution are already out of control. Tell me how many more highways Houston is going to build before 2030 to accommodate the growth.

Americans think if the US doesn't have it, it must not be good. High speed rails..gross. Good cell networks and high speed internet?..no thanks! It's always blamed on our geography and population density.

If you prioritize something, it will happen.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

But Texas Central does have a few legal and procedural disputes to clear up first. Currently, some of the opposition to the project focuses on an oddly existential question: whether the company is a railroad at all. “Simply self-declaring that you are a railroad does not make it so,” Kyle Workman, the president of the opposition group Texans Against High-Speed Rail, told the Houston Chronicle in February.

https://www.citylab.com/transportat...ay-high-speed-bullet-train-cost-route/587743/

Kyle Workman should go suck a ****

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I want high speed rail to succeed and have been cynical about the bullet train succeeding, to be honest. But even if it succeeds, what does that do for traffic congestion. It's great if you're going from Houston to Dallas or vice-versa or maybe to College Station, but I don't see what it does for intra-city congestion. And that's the problem everyone wants to tackle. A bullet train from Houston to Dallas may help some people working in the immediate area of the stations or who want to take a day trip or maybe even companies looking for a bigger talent pool, but what exactly does that do for congestion? And if you say we can build more stations in the city, I think that's where costs start skyrocketing. I wish it success, though. I want it to succeed. The sad part about watching that video above is the fact that billions was spent on that Cali rail system that ended up being nothing. What are they going to do with all the crap that's been constructed there, anyway?

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Who is Texans Against High-Speed Rail funded by?

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortunately, the bubble will burst and without diversification, Detroit is Houston's future.

15. TMac'n

Probably the land owners against eminent domain

Just pray it doesn't happen Debbie Downer

16. biff17

biff17 Member

What?

Houston is very diverse economically and there have been numerous boom and bust cycles throughout the years and Houston has never come close to Detroit.

Can you explain your reasoning?

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

They can never take away the Pho spots and nail salons in the strip malls.

biff17 likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is it meant to solve intra-city congestion? It should help divert traffic from I-45 which should help one corridor.

19. plates300

plates300 Member

They should just take the HOV lanes and one lane from each way of the freeways and make it into a rail. Not necessarily high speed but just for inner city/outer city transportation. I absolutely loathe driving in traffic and if there was a more convenient way to get around, I would gladly give up driving.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, what I was saying is that, to me, intra-city congestion is what most people face and seems to be the big issues in Texas cities lately and into the future as they grow. How much congestion is on a trip from Dallas to Houston on I-45? I make the trip a few times a year, but it's always on a weekend and early in the morning, so there's hardly . I can't imaging there's gridlock coming in Buffalo, Centerville, Madisonville, etc. I guess I'm saying is "what's it fixing"? Is 45 clogged anywhere but at the endpoints (a.k.a. intra-city)? I honestly don't know. I would think it may cut down on flight congestion more.