1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets let go of Irv Roland.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, May 24, 2019.

1. RocketsFanBrian

Very interesting...

Stormy1234 and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

McHale was fired largely because Les Alexander was embarrassed when he and his friends watched the Rockets early in the season on television. Couple that with Morey seeing that the team just really had little respect for McHale’s style or ability.

That “embarrassment” early in the year also is the reason Les told Morey to spend the damn money.. which got us Gordon and Anderson and MDA.

BigMaloe, Deuce, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He should not have hired Milk Hair in the first place...... it was one of his bad decisions he had to rescind.

kjayp likes this.
  4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

See I feel just the opposite... I think his biggest downside is his failure to maximize his roster... Mike is all about his 'comfort level' regarding who he plays... He and Shump have a history - Shump got minutes in that last series despite looking horrible all year since we got him... Whereas House or Faried falter a little in the post season and they disappear never to be seen again... Nene isnt available as much as MDA would like - so he only gets limited minutes even when available...

BigMaloe, BigShasta, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

6. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I like van Gundy defence

7. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

ONLY requirement? That completely changes the game! Not sure many coaches would like to play that style.

8. jboslett

jboslett Member

He's allowed to use his own money? How does that work? A "donation" to the athletics program that is then used for hiring a coach?

9. Nook

Nook Member

He is the head regent... and yes making donations to the University’s athletic program. He has given an unbelievable amount of money to the athletics program.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

This one here hurts.
    Irv is great at what he does.
    Was very well respected by Chris, James, & PJ.
    It almost seems like Tilman is going to move on from MDA and find a coach that will maximize his stars’ potential.
    Unfortunately you must let everyone go when going that route.
    Some guys will be upset but it’s all for one common goal and that’s to win it all while Harden is in his prime.
    TBH if Houston decides to part with MDA I wouldn’t be upset and I would like to see a few coaches in there such as
    Tony Bennett (Virginia)
    Mark Few (Gonzaga)
    Jay Wright (Villanova)
    Tom Izzy (Michigan St.)
    Mark Jackson
    Kevin Ollie
    My personal favorite would be Jay Wright but an unproven pro coach can only go 2 ways, really good or really bad.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Can you imagine, in this time of social media newsbreaking, how nearly impossible it would be to interview a coaching candidate on the sly so you'd have him lined up before you fire the current one?

#131 topfive, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  12. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

This could go either way. Could be a big this is my team and I’ll do whatever I want and won’t let friends of players make decisions. Or could be “Harden approved” and he’s on board and understands what needs to happen.

bmelo and hakeem94 like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

Haha my friend I’ve always know how you’ve felt about him, it’s even in your sig. I

Shumpert didn’t play bad vs GS. He played well and was a positive player. House was well... he had his chances, I think he probably gets a shot at any other team but I don’t mind him not playing him. But I can understand the frustration. Now Faried not playing was definetly the right decision. The dude just could not hang defensively and that was the truth.

kjayp likes this.
  14. nsng20

nsng20 Member

If the rockets want a chance to win it all the next couple years they have to keep dantoni. There's no way we hire a new coach and adapt to his new style of play and beat any elite teams. Either keep dantoni and try to upgrade somehow or tank.

15. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Damn...The Rockets are sending a clear message here.
    The ushers, ball boys and servers are next.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Jalen sheds light on this. Makes sense. Harden isn’t coachable so you remove his henchman.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I always appreciate where you're coming from, man...
    and I will say Shump wasnt as bad as I'd feared that last series...
    but I think this whole 'Faried was unplayable' narrative is overplayed.... I think we gave up plenty of easy buckets on blown assignments as it was - whats a couple more? lol! It was when they missed and got a 2nd or a 3rd attempt on an offensive rebound that was the killer. Except for the last game, the winner of the rebound battle won every game... Faried was giving us 12.9/8.5 in 25 minutes since coming aboard - you cant throw his energy in as a spark plug for 10 mins when our guys got lethargic and were being outhustled? naw man... I think we missed the boat there... Energy is contagious - and there were stretches where we were flat...

smp, hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

MDA plays morey ball to a T. Look the warriors might win the ring without Durant. No shame in losing to them. Firing people for the sake of firing people seems dumb.

jcf likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

kjayp and GotGame15 like this.
  20. BullRider

BullRider Member

this is going to be one wild summer. coaching hires + a big move perhaps??

Stormy1234 likes this.