1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets let go of Irv Roland.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, May 24, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah I don’t think they are pushing him out. Morey is a professional and has treated guys with class. Tilman has no problem firing guys and paying multiple coaches.

I think Morey probably would have a different head coach if he could have his choice. But he’s not a brat that throws tantrums. He always works with the parameters he has.

BigMaloe, Vivi, jboslett and 3 others like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

He also really wanted Carlisle.

His only requirement is that the HC incorporate analytics and be open to change.

BigMaloe, Patience, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

good to know on the UH stuff - i dont follow college...

based on this article...
    https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/mike-dantoni-contract-salary-houston-rockets-head-coach/

it sounds like Tilman picked up the option on MDA last year (2 year option)... at 5M/yr?... could he not be experiencing buyer remorse at this point - and not wanting to pay the other 5M?

4. kjayp

idk... he had McFails wife going off on him and his 'crocodile tears'.... lol... jus sayin...

5. justtxyank

1) Nothing in Tilmans history suggests he’d balk at firing a coach and eating 5 million
    2) Morey has been doing interviews with Dantoni and talking to him about next year all offseason

HP3 likes this.
  6. justtxyank

Nobody likes to get fired. But Morey never went after McHale. He never dogged him in the media, never leaked stuff about him. He’s defended him to this day even though he wasn’t his choice.

BigMaloe, Vivi, jboslett and 2 others like this.
  7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Ok things are really getting kinda weird.
    Seems like MDA might go too. House cleaning is in full effect, although, i dont think letting go of Irv was necessary but there is no way he was let go without hardens blessings.

#107 ryano2009, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  8. Nook

Nook Member

It is quite possible that the owner and GM and are not completely sold on what they want to do with the HC spot. Knowing Tilman it is also quite possible behind the scenes the Rockets are trying to negotiate for someone else and picked up MDA’s option as a fall back.

If the Rockets were that excited about MDA long term, he would have an extension already.

When it is all said and done MDA could end up with an extension but it looks like the Rockets are weighing all their options.

BigMaloe, Vivi, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  9. justtxyank

On that point, Tilman has never fired a coach without another one lined up.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

that would be quite foolish of them then

ryano2009 and HP3 like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

I know he’s not perfect but what do you think is the reason they might want to hire someone else. I’m open to a better coach but I feel like Mike effectively maximized the talent of the roster.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, if Morey was the billionaire, he could.

13. justtxyank

I can tell you one thing Morey absolutely wants he rockets to do: play faster.

HP3 likes this.
  14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is a great point.

15. kjayp

The most important aspect of what I got from the article is that the extension was picked up last year... thats a big deal imo... i mean if they picked it up this year then i'd be skeptical of them wanting to make a change - but it was last year when hopes were higher that a healthy CP3 would bring success this year... and it didnt happen....
    and of course you got the McHale drama of being fired after an extension... but I think that was Harden appeasement motivated...

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden:

I still know what we'll need to do.

topfive likes this.
  17. kjayp

idk the mans finances... but is the potential for eating 5M more pertinent than its been in the past? Like I say idk... just based on capital to buy the team.... all the cost cutting moves... is all the talk of tight Tilman finances just people blowing smoke?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Request a trade & get his ass up out of here? ;)

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Any decision to not bring back MDA is going to be driven by analytical data. There must be something fairly glaring.

Also keep in mind that Morey has said that he has lost out on other coaches (Carlisle) because of timing and has said that the Rockets ultimate goal is to get a young coach that fits the structure of the organization and would lead the team for decades. He specifically mentioned Brad Stevens and Gregg Popovich as examples.

So it is possible there is someone that Morey believes is a perfect fit out there.

Deuce, Vivi and HP3 like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean firing some assistants is cute but unless he starts cutting player personnel, nothing is pointing towards 'whatever it takes'.

And I would see the direction Fertitta is going with this.

How many years does Dan Toni get if he stays long term. #NotLastMove