1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets let go of Irv Roland.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, May 24, 2019.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

@The Cat says there is some truth to that report TIFWIW

2. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

He’s friends with lots of people in the league, players and media guys all follow him on there.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'll repeat that if Morey was lashing out it would be illogical to fire the coaches that run the defense and keep the offensive assistants.

Furthermore, it's illogical to think that Tilman is overriding Morey but then letting him lash out and fire assistants. I mean think through that. If DAntoni wanted to keep these guys and Tilman wanted to keep Dantoni, would he let Morey go nuts and just fire people? We think he's a crazy rogue?

Corrosion and HP3 like this.
  4. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Regardless what’s going on....a mass exodus of the coaching staff for an alleged contender is a horrible look. No denying that. I don’t know what happens, but this is a pretty awful start to the offseason.

cheke64 likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

We are going to have our #pickofthecoaches.

BigShasta, jboslett, cheke64 and 3 others like this.
  7. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Nothing the Rockets have done the past two seasons had made any sense. From letting Ariza go to not finding a proper replacement to having a 6'4 Eric Gordon start at SF. Plus the Rockets have stated that they don't want a lame duck coach yet MDA is essentially a lame duck coach as he has not gotten an extension yet. Why wait this long? The Blazers offered an extension to Stotts as soon as their post season had ended.

jboslett and mastan like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Just go ask Major Applewhite.... his ass was fired and a replacement known before the season even ended.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

On what basis - other than the last couple weeks - do you make the assertion that "Tilman has never been afraid of firing coaches"?
    and if MDA quitting (rather than being fired) saves the T a years salary... is that out of character?
    jus askin... lol

10. Nook

Nook Member

No way Roland is gone without Harden being on board.

Deuce, AroundTheWorld and treyk3 like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Tilman has ran UH athletics for some time. He has dipped into his own funds to hire and fire a number of coaches.

Deuce, topfive and kjayp like this.
  12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I disagree that these moves are just Morey lashing out. I think there's strategy to it.

I do think that Landry's right that Tilman was a driving force on the option year pickup.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is so dumb. So Fetita is going to overrule Morey in the HC then let him undermine him?

Also what does it mean that Fertitta picked up the option? How does he conclude from that there Daryl wasn't on board? ​

AroundTheWorld and jboslett like this.
  14. Game7

Game7 Member

Johnny 5 belongs to nobody!

15. Nook

Nook Member

Tilman already said MDA is coming back.
    All the coaches fired are on the defensive side of the ball ( except Roland) and once JB was let go, it was obvious they would not come back.
    MDA’s coaches are all still present.

The reason for Roland’s falling out will come out soon enough.

BigMaloe, Deuce, Vivi and 5 others like this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i would say based on the defensive performance before Bzdelik's return - the defensive staff should be fired... I mean these guy were atrocious so they had to pony up big money (and kick Melo to the curb imo) to entice Bzdelik to return... If Bzdelik isnt gonna be around - why keep the other defensive guys who showed their ineptness wo Jeff?

17. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I don’t think this is some power play by Morey to push MDA out. One of the conditions with hiring MDA was that management gets to pick the defensive coach along side him. I hope for a Nick Nurse/ Stephen Silas type. Someone with fresh eyes and a new voice. If we hire JVG / Thibs...I would just shrug in disappointment.

18. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Clearing space for rebound coaches.......

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I definitely believe that. Tilman has said as much basically or did at the time. He was ready to make Dantoni coach for life basically lol.

I know Morey wanted JVG and then silas over Dantoni.

Amazingly Morey has this bad rap for not believing in old school guys but he wanted JVG, he’s wanted Lionel Hollins on the staff TWICE, he wants Silas over Dantoni and the first guy he wanted to hire after Rick was Budenholzer.

Vivi likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

What is that strategy? If they want to push MDA out, Tilman would just pay him his option and fire him. He has never had an issue paying coaches to stay home.

Also the best way to push MDA is take away his offensive coaches... he doesn’t care about his defensive coaches.

There is no real question Tilman was the driving force picking up MDA option.

Deuce, AroundTheWorld and justtxyank like this.