1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy Rogers is also gone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, May 24, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Once again shows that Tilman is a coward.

Little Bit likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

How? o_O:confused:

3. Fantasma Negro

Or it will get an absolute overhaul and be magnificent

Sajan likes this.
  4. anchel

anchel Member

We lack info to value this type of decisions. But the Rockets' biggest defensive issue this season (including last playoff series) was defensive rebounding. And the biggest factor there it was our midget lineups with 4 guards or even Tucker as center. I don't know how much of that responsability it's on Morey, for not putting together enough playable guys with more size, or on D'Antoni, who is the one to decide about lineups. But the Rockets desperately need to improve there.

Regarding Bzdelik, the Rockets could think he failed at the defensive gameplan against a Durantless Warriors, or failed at exploiting Capela's full defensive potential... He could even had been a factor on rotational decisions, assuming that D'Antoni completely delegates on him defensively, and listens to him if he says, for instance, "Faried is unplayable".

Regarding Rogers it has to be about intern coaching and decisions out of our range of knowledge.

#44 anchel, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    cheke64, Invisible Fan and topfive like this.
  5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

My guess is that its probably because the Rockets think or know KD is going this summer from Golden State. The Rockets' entire defensive scheme was put in place to slow down the Warriors with Durant. We saw how horrendous that switching defense was against the Warriors core in the 4th quarter of game 5 and then in game 6. If Bzdelik was going to stick with that style of defense the Rockets next season would have been eviscerated by the Warriors.

Bring in a new defensive coaching staff that is less rigid to changes and can adapt and develop something that will be more of a deterrent to the movement offense GS will employ again next season.

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

My take is, Rockets didn't want to wait for Bzdelik to decide if he wanted to coach this year.

They probably are in discussion with the new defensive coach at the moment and that coach probably has his preferred set of assistants.

smoothie and sammy like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm withholding judgement until I see if anyone else leaves on the defensive side, and just who we end up with that's taking over their duties. I'm not surprised that Coach B is gone. They had to drag him back last season, and it would have made the early season easier had he not left in the first place, in my opinion. We may end up liking the changes. I'm sorry to see Rogers go, however, and they better keep John Lucas. Otherwise, it's wait and see for me.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The issue this season is that we didn’t switch enough. You have it backwards.

The previous year we had the personnel to truly switch everything, which is the only way to beat Steph/Klay/Draymond. This year we had about half the roster switching everything, and the other half sticking depending on matchups. That killed us once KD went out.

Little Bit likes this.
  9. Remlap

Remlap Member

Roy Rogers and Trigger ride off into the sunset. . . . .Happy Trails. . . .

[​IMG]

Will likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm hoping this decision wasn't heavily influenced by Capela's terrible Round 2 showing this year.

Roy has been instrumental in Clint's growth from raw rookie to polished contributor.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

This move would be a no-brainer if Rogers was a Bzdelik guy, but Roy was brought in by MDA himself. I wonder if MDA had any say in letting Roy go, or if it was a Tilman/Morey decision.

#51 topfive, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

All the people that give Harden a pass game 5 and 6 keep telling me it was the defense that failed the Rockets not the offense. Now those same people are mad that Jeff and Roy are gone.

lionaire likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good question. Could this have been a "nudge" to MDA towards the door? I forgot about that.

jcf likes this.
  14. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

MAKE Chris Paul play defense? Are you out of your mind?

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Maybe Clint can't learn anything more form Roy now. Clint needs to reach another level that Roy couldn't teach him.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

The Chron says that Rogers wasn't willing to settle for a 1-year deal and has other teams interested. It might be just that Tilman didn't want to extend him past MDA's contract, and Roy didn't want to wait and see if MDA himself would get an extension when other teams might be willing to give him a better offer now.

Nowhere do I see anything about the team thinking they needed a better big man coach.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can understand him not wanting a one year deal. If other teams are expressing interest, that speaks well of his reputation. Guess we'll find out what went down eventually. Perhaps you'll hear a word by the connection you have.

topfive likes this.
  18. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

In what capacity? We've already heard they're looking to extend MDA. Assistant coach on defense? That's a rough fall from grace considering he once had total control in Minnesota. I'm thinking he's holding out for another head gig down the line, like Marc Jackson.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Nothing can be judged until the position is filled. Stay calm everyone.

I like shaking up the staff but keeping MDA as the figurehead for the Harden relationship.

AroundTheWorld and CCity Zero like this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, if they let Lucas go... Uh.... It'll be really bad I think--to say the least

Deckard likes this.