1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey needs a plan. Start w/trading Capela for...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, May 21, 2019.

1. Asian Sensation

If DJ could just do us a solid and come home for the vet min it would give us so much more flexibility.

2. basketballholic

That's not enough. If he's not going to switch he's gotta shoot the 3 at a high level.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Most of the issues with Capela against the Bucks and Warriors would be less glaring if the Rockets had a legitimate long 4 that could play the 5 adequately when we go small. Someone like JaMychal Green could slide to the 5 when needed and have the ability to switch and still rebound and knock down 3's but keep players honest penetrating inside. Couple that with us not really having any long 3's after having Moute and Ariza last year.

I understand why the Rockets moved on from Jeff B, the lack of adjustments was inexcusable, but he also did not have the pieces that ideally fit his system.

I am fine with dealing Capela for a player like Butler or another all star caliber player, and Capela does have really good value for the right team. However and deal for Capela necessitates the Rockets getting a legitimate 4 (in the style the Rockets want) and a decent back up 5.

4. BreakYoSelfFool

GSW best player is about 7ft tall and the almost the whole team is 6'7"+. They have 1 "small" player, at 6'3" above average for NBA PG. What lineup could they call small ball? 90% of their team is taller than PJ Tucker

ak99999 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That’s my point.

Rockets seem to have it in their heads that they need to roll out their small ball line up. And maybe they do because they have no other option. But the rest of the nba has moved to size and length that can also sometimes shoot.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The offseason is another Soap opera every season, just get your popcorn ready.

Toronto is dragging out the series to a boring extent.

7. ballgame

ballgame Member

My disagreements with the Theories "Small Ball and Capela Improving"

When the Rockets went small ball, your talking; 6'0 CP3, 6'5 Harden, 6'4 Gordon, 6'6 PJ Tucker and 6'4 Rivers.....That's what killed us, we go too small! You can win like that during the season but in the playoffs you are going to run into the superior talented teams that are taller and I don't care how hard you try, if you are continuing to run out a small team you are going to loose. We need a 6'10 - 6'11 frontcourt player that can score.

Morey still has not gotten past the small players. The Aaron Brooks, Carl Landrys, Luther Heads, Joey Dorseys, Chuck Hayes, etc......I don't know of any team that has won a NBA Championship playing lineups as small as the Rockets trot out. Gordon is not a SF, PJ Tucker is a good player but he's too short to be a PF against the better teams.

Secondly, I think Capela has maxed out! If you look where he started, what his skill set was when he came into the league and where he's at now, how much more can he improve? HE'S NOT NOR WILL HE EVER BE HAKEEM. When Akeem came to UH all he could do was dunk. By his 3rd yr, he had a hook, he had a spin move. Capela has NEVER, NOR WILL HE EVER have an offensive game. He's totally reliant on Harden. It's his 5th yr and he still does not have one GOTO MOVE. NOT ONE.

For once, I want Morey to put together a long term plan. Implement a height and length position requirement (SIMILAR TO WHAT THE TEXANS ARE DOING IN FOOTBALL. ALL DAY SPORTS 610 HAS BEEN RAVING ABOUT HOW MUCH BIGGER THE TEXANS ARE THIS YR) Similar to what the Lakers had with Kobe and Shaq and the Bulls had with Jordan. The only short player the Lakers had was D. Fisher, every other player was tall for their position. Harden has 4 to 5 good yrs left and CP3 has maybe 2 yrs left. Start by looking for a 6'10" - 7' 0 PF who can score and rebound, we need a front court player who can score and rebound. AD would be nice, I would love him but he's always hurt, I would prefer Myles Turner. Next, look for a athletic 3 and D SF who can run the court, this year or next. James Ennis was just starting to get in a grove here when Morey traded him (He played good for Philly in the playoffs).

I like Rivers as a big PG next to Harden. I would like someone a little more offensive skill set but he's not bad.

raining threes and ak99999 like this.
  8. dream2franchise

Didn't know that. Admittedly cap machinations like that are beyond me. I look for fit and salary matching and that's it. Damn.

At least Miami knows what they have! (Jimmy's not a superstar Miami covets though?)

9. basketballholic

Yes they were very active trying to acquire him early in the season along with us.

10. Clutchkid13

Clutchkid13 Member

Doesn’t matter when the end result is Lebron 4th title reign

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Capela will be fine. He will get better and learn from the post season. Natural growth in the teams players is just as important as bringing in players from trades. People want quick fixes, but sometimes the fix is already there if a player on the squad developes

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm guessing DJ likes money more than coming home. Who doesn't like money?

When DJ is playing like a vet minimum player, that's when he will sign with the Rockets.

13. Asian Sensation

DJ has made nearly $130 million in his career. Not saying money isn’t important but I want to believe he values winning as well especially at this stage of his career. How much? We’ll see.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Ah classic clutchfans,

Buy high, Sell Low

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's made $130 million. Maybe he's spent $130 million.

16. dmoneybangbang

Guys it simple... Morey needs to trade Capela for a center who can match up with any team.

17. Asian Sensation

And that is?

18. dmoneybangbang

KAT.... AD... Draymond Green..... you know centers that can matchup against any style..... It's easy! Make it happen Morley!

19. dmoneybangbang

20. dmoneybangbang

I wonder if they watched the rest of the season when Capela was healthy and a key cog in our offense. Hopefully other teams don't have recency bias like CF.

D-rock likes this.