1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Gomez - Are we concerned?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The other odd thing about his (reportedly) wanting to go elsewhere... while he's certainly been better since the DL stint, he hasn't exactly been very good, relatively speaking (.252/.324/.415/.738). And, overall, he's been below average since the trade (.226/.284/.351/.635).

I can't imagine too many contenders would be lining up to add that to their team. So if he wants to experience postseason baseball... the Astros likely offer his best, most realistic chance.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astros look like fools trading for Gomez after the Mets rejected him.

Bad decision, but nobody's perfect. Can't bat 1.000. Can't win them all.

Hopefully the newer additions are able to still propel us.

#surging

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Really not Gomez's fault that Hinch keeps trotting his ass out there daily.

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

this. I don't get why he doesn't bench Gomez for a while and give some other guys a shot. At this point, Marisnick is better is equal if not better defensively and batting at a higher clip in the last month... this Gomez experiment has failed and the only thing I guess they are hoping is he catches fire for the second half of the season, but it doesn't appear that he's made many adjustments this year. Same old story. It is a head scratcher.

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Yeah, it's interesting dilemma. Not sure exactly what you do with him. Can't really trade him or cut him at this point, and I guess he is being payed too much to rot away on the bench. Gotta just hope he recaptures some semblance of his former self, which on the surface shouldn't seem impossible since he's not very old or anything.

Man, Houston teams have the worst luck trading for players who randomly fall off a cliff.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

I've never been a fan of Rajan. He puts down Houston sports all the time. Color me not surprised to see him post this garbage.

This article reflects very poorly on the Chronicle. Then again, they continue to employ Brian Smith, and 80% of their sports writers are god-awful, so maybe I should just lower my expectations.

They're just giving a platform to a moron. Why on earth would you run a story with multiple quotes from that guy? It's not even funny. Like, okay, I get it if it's a funny article. It's not. It's seriously one of the dumbest articles I've ever read.

Obviously everyone is frustrated with Gomez. I am too. I'm not protecting his poor play. But this article is a very low blow. It reflects poorly on our city and our fans. Gomez isn't trying to suck. It'd be another issue if he were intentionally sabotaging the season. He's not. The guy just isn't good. He won't be back next year. The end.

Players take note of ignorant stuff like this. Players want to be treated fairly. I'm not saying we should treat all Houston athletes like godsends. Just saying to treat them fairly...which in some cases means not mass producing some moron's ignorant go fund me page.

1 person likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gomez and Fiers are performing better than what the Astros sent them and likely have already provided more value than the Brewers will ever get from the deal. Considering how close the wild card/division race was last season, that no hitter was huge. Phillips is almost having as tough a time in AA as Reed did in the majors making contact.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Gomez HR @NYY in the playoff was huge, too.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not that it invalidates your point, but it is highly unlikely that they've "already provided more value than the Brewers will ever get from the deal." GomezFiers have produced 2.2 fWAR for the Astros to now. Santana has given Milwaukee 0.3 fWAR and they control him for 5 more seasons. Hader is a Top 100 prospect; most recent KATOH projections are for 4.9 WAR over his cost controlled seasons. Phillips' stock is down, but in March he was a consensus Top 100 prospect and had a KATOH projection of 5.2 WAR. I'll grant you that Milwaukee may never get anything out of Houser. But to suggest that Santana/Hader/Phillips will produce <1.9 WAR combined over the next 6 seasons is pretty silly.

That's not to say Houston lost the trade; they made the playoffs last season and Gomez may get hot, and Fiers still has 3 more years of control.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

reading that tells me the trade is relatively even overall, and both sides have had unexpected disappointments already--and it seems that the disappointments relative to last year's expectations will continue for both sides as well

12. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Not sure they were all his fault but Gomez was a part of every play last night that cost us runs for or against. But, it's baseball - not a fan of his hitting approach.

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I hate our fans

14. HstnSprtsFan101

Let's see how he responds to it tonight. Can't ask for a much better matchup than CC

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The article is probably as stupid as you say but....it's also probably fair. Gomez's act is probably furthering and intensifying a decline rather than anything resembling a turn around that is desperately needed personally and professionally.

Speaking of professionally....that's part of the gig. Media, fans...that's why you're getting 9 mil even though you suck. Perhaps if all the fence swinging, overacting and attention seeking were given a well deserved rest people wouldn't focus on him so hard. But he does so they do and here we are.

Btw, Gomez's "good arm" just missed the plate by 25 feet again.

16. Airdough

Airdough Member

I would say he's trying to get out of town but he was visibly frustrated with himself last night when he grounded into the game ending DP. All of his skills just left him at once, it's like watching Schaub go from a solid to good QB to worst starter in the NFL practically overnight.

For his sanity and the Astros, just admit when you're wrong and try something else. The AL is much deeper this year so continuing to hope guys just start turning it around isn't a luxury you can afford to take.

17. Fantasma Negro

I miss this guy

Until he goes on six month slumps lol

#317 Fantasma Negro, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I get your sarcasm, but come on SI still electric? He's 3-16 on the season (.188) with 2 BB and 5 K's. He's about as electric as an Amish Toaster.

kaleidosky, msn, Hustle Town and 11 others like this.
  19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He doesn't miss you. Congrats.

20. Fantasma Negro

I don't get the joke

Tomstro likes this.