1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

You mean 7 men rotation? :D;)

amaru likes this.
  2. basketballholic

Here's some numbers based on $109 million cap this year and $116 million cap next year.

Butler can choose free agency and if Philly offers him a 5 year max he'll make around $202.3 million over next 5 seasons. And he'll be turning 35 years old before season 6.

He can walk away and sign a 4- year max offer elsewhere. He would make around $140.6 million over the next 4 years. He'll be turning 34 before the next season begins. If still performing at a high level he could possibly sign another deal and make up most of the difference in that 5 season. But that's 4 years of risk.

Butler could opt in to his 19.1 million option and forego free agency for one year in order to pick a destination/ team that he prefers to play for and force a trade. He could then take the risk for one year of staying healthy for one season and then signing a max deal next summer. If he did that, and assuming he stayed healthy and was offered a max deal from the team that held his bird rights next summer, he would make around $175 million over the next 5 years. And he'd be turning 35 at the beginning of that 6th season.

But...... if he went this route he would probably have good leverage on that 5- year max signed next summer provided he was healthy. There's no doubt he's going to perform in a contract season. That would mean he would make around $46 million in that 5th year/6th season for a total $221 million over the next 6 seasons. He'd be turning 36 after that contract expired and entering the following season.
    =========================

Now here's another possibility and one I think that Butler is considering.

But first, some background on Butler's career that some of you may not know or remember. When Butler was in the last year of his rookie deal the Bulls approached him with an extension proposal. The offer wasn't max. But it was substantial. Especially for a #30 pick who was averaging 13/5 as a lead defender with offensive limitations. He turned down the extension which was something like 4/70 and "decided to bet on myself".

(I remember this like yesterday because I had got a tip that we had made a trade offer for him and I was hoping that we could trade for him cheap since he had not agreed to the extension.)

So Butler goes out that 4th season and just kills it. Chicago had to give him a 5- year max to keep him. Butler took a huge risk for the whole season, the risk that he would perform even better than before and the risk of injury. That says 2 things about Butler: 1. He wants to be great. 2. He wanted to be PAID the most he can get and he's not willing to settle out. He wanted to mac his career both in performance and earnings. Very driven.

Butler is an idealist.

And to reiterate, fast forward to the trade to the Timberwolves. Butler had a choice there. The Bulls were waiving a super max contract at him. But they were rebuilding. And they fired the coach that developed him. He made the decision to move on and forced a trade, leaving that super max contract on the table, trusting Thibs and the Wolves to make it up to him by renegotiating his deal last summer. Because he wanted to win and get his money. Instead of honoring Butler's sacrifice the Wolves signed KAT to an extension, which killed their cap space and opportunity to start making up the super max extension that Butler walked away from by demanding a trade. And that in turn ended Jimmy's confidence in them as an organization and prompted his trade demand.

So this is where we are. Two things matter to Butler, winning and money. And he's already demonstrated that he'll go to extremes to get both.

With all that in mind, I think Butler could very well take one of these two options.

1. The LBJ/KD contract. Opt out and sign a 2-year max contract (either Philly or elsewhere) with a player option on the second season. Then if healthy next summer, opt out and do it again, 1+1. This will carry him through age 31. He'll have 10 years experience. And can sign a 35% max deal for either 4 years or 5 years if he re-signed with Philly.

In this case, assuming the cap goes to 109 then to 116 and holds at 116 for the 21-22 season, Butler would make right around $200 million. But he's likely got an extra year and possibly 2 on that contract that could net him an extra $104 million. And that's based on the cap staying level in 21-22. If the cap increases... those numbers go up.

2. Same scenario as #1 except Jimmy opts in for next season and forces a trade. He loses $13 million over the course of 5 years or however long his career lasts.

If Jimmy is willing to take a health risk of two seasons (he's already demonstrated he's a risk taker) like LBJ and KD have done... then I don't think it's reasonable to believe that he'd give up $13 million in the short term to make it up on the back end while playing out those years on a perennial contender.

It's Butler's call of course. But if he wants Houston it is likely to happen with him opting in before June 29th.

Right now I think this is the mosy likely scenario for us over even Winslow, LBJ, KD, or AD. I just don't have time to edit my avatar. But if Butler doesn't want to come here it's back to Winslow or possibly Oubre SnT. With us also kicking the tires on Otto and Harrison.

#662 basketballholic, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Via back channels, it is up to Tilman "Whatever It Takes" Fertitta to make Butler an offer he can't refuse. :cool:

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Theirs quotes from Lebron saying he thought about playing with harden and cp3 as well as Simmons and embiid.

And Lebron didn’t take meetings with any team.

And kd was always going to GSW.

If u get a meeting which they have your in the mix.

Doesn’t mean your going to get them but your in the mix.

Besides the two guys you named which happen to be the two highest profile FAnto switch teams in the history of the game. The rockets have gotten meetings with any marquee FA since Harden has been here.

lilbird20 likes this.
  5. cyberx

cyberx Member

6. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I hope

Butler opts in.

Then CP3 for Butler + fillers

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CP3 is not being traded for Butler.

lilbird20, luckyman76, Nook and 2 others like this.
  8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Philly wouldn't want CP3. We would be trading Capela or Ego.

9. Fl Br

Fl Br Member

Im a Lakers and rocket fan

10. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

R
    Rebounding was the main issue. When we were able to get into our defensive sets, GS would miss but we couldn’t consistently grab boards. Give GS enough possessions and they will score one or way or another.

11. rockets13champs

U know rockets fans are supposed to hate lakers.

12. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Yep. With the age, injury history, and signs of decline, it's hard to see anyone taking that contract off Houston's hands.

13. Nook

Nook Member

We will see.

There were reports at the deadline that ownership wasn't that keen to deal Davis to the Lakers.

I laughed at Magic Johnson claiming the leak came from the Pelicans.

The leak came from Davis' agent.

D-rock and luckyman76 like this.
  14. Fl Br

Fl Br Member

I don't care. I like the way your team plays. And want to see the team come back for another run next season.

topfive and Little Bit like this.
  15. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I think it would have to be EG, Picks, and help from a third team. May even have to absorb a band contract. This also assumes Butler wants to sign in Houston.

I curious about engaging Cleveland and gauging any potential interest in Capela on their part. If Cleveland shows sufficient interest, CC might be enough for them to send KLove our way.

If somehow, Morey is able to pull those moves off, the rest of the pieces should fall into place quite easily....

Make a value play for DeAndre Jordan to sign for MLE. Resign Austin Rivers. Lastly pursue a talented undervalued young player who can be part of the rotation, Josh Jackson anyone? He’s uber athletic, still on his rookie contract, and as a trouble maker who recently crossed the wrong side of the law recently, might have wore out his welcome in the land of cactus. Lastly, if iHart is ready to contribute solid backup minutes for DJ, we’d be set

CP3/Rivers
    Harden/Rivers
    Butler/Jackson
    Love/Tuck
    DJ/iHart

The combination of lineups that can be derived from this roster would be incredibly versatile, skilled, and athletic.

We would be able to play any style. Fast, slow, big, small, iso, motion... and our switching scheme would be at its a absolute best since we would have added athleticism, size, and length.

16. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

This is fantasy land. Not feasible salary cap wise.

BMoney and izeroi like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Probably not …. but one can dream.

I believe CP3 is a horrible use of funds next to Harden , they both need the ball in their hands , better is a 3 or 4 that can play off the ball.

Just my opinion. Nothing against CP3.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Cp3 would actually help them a lot and honestly getting butler while keeping Gordon might actually be the better play but I don’t see the rockets trading cp3 at all even if philly was down to do the swap.

I think houston is committed to cp3 for better or worse.

I also think cp3 is undervalued around here and the league.

He can still be a 15/8/6 guy with 37% shooting from 3.

Is that worth 40m a year? No

But he’s still a really good player on both sides of the ball and I don’t see him falling off a cliff next season like a lot do.

I just think him being a top 10 player is done but being a 15-16ppg guy with 8 assist and solid D while knocking down 3s at a decent clip is very valuable.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Deuce and amaru like this.