1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Calvin Murphy will always be the perinatal NBA All-Star in Houston.

What? He's had 14 kids by 9 different women. No way Butler steps up to that level.

I think Butler'd be an All-Star for a very long time, if he got to play with James. Name 10 better wings in the NBA. And he'd get to play with two of the NBA's best facilitators? Where do I sign?

s3ts likes this.
  2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If I’m him and I’m just guessing.

He’s prob thinking.

I get to play with a team that’s truley about winning and their really close plus there all vets, we know jimmy doesn’t like the young players.

He’s also thinking he gets to play with an mvp and a HOF PG who doesn’t care if he scores 5 points or 20 points.

Plus they both playmake and get the ball to players in their spots.

Jimmy prob thinks he can be apart of a true big 3 but get the second most shots and plenty of opportunities to initiate the offense in MDA offense and boost his assist up also.

He’ll get to play a lot of minutes without harden and be the main scorer for atleast 12-15 min a game.

Houston is a good fit for what jimmy wants.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We said all this same crap last year about Lebron …. then he opted out and the story ended.

This one will end much the same. Butler will opt out and Houston is out of the picture.

As much as I'd like Butler on this team , I cant wait for it to be over and done with so we can move on to what we do about Rivers , Faried & House …. and who we sign for the minimum.

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Most teams don’t get any FA consideration, rockets are always in the mix.

You have to be in the mix to get one of them and houston is always right there.

Your not going to get them all or most but if your at the round table then you’ll land a few.

Of course the chances he doesn’t come see higher then if he does but who cares it’s about going for it and I love that Morey and the rockets are always going for it.

lilbird20 likes this.
  5. Fl Br

Fl Br Member

@cyberx got anything on the Lakers this summer? Reddit user and verified source u/RDAmbition has it that Kawhi is likely to the join the Lakers. Anything on the AD trade moving forward?

6. Fl Br

Fl Br Member

@cyberx Anything on the Lakers for this offseason?

7. Nook

Nook Member

The owner of the Pelicans made it pretty clear about how likely the AD to Lakers is.

sammy, Jontro and amaru like this.
  8. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Today's sweep should be a light bulb for any marquee free agent. Yes you can go to the Clippers, or the Lakers. But yes you will be stuck in mediocrity for years with no chance to beat GS. That clipper warriors series was an absolute fluke and we all know it. This trailblazer team was good i wouldn't even say they were just "solid", they were good in beating the second seed Nuggets and got swept by the warriors.

Let's just say you Add kawhi to the clippers (Not close to the talent he currently has in Toronto), Add AD to the Lakers both of those teams don't sniff 6 games vs this warrior team. The rockets are the only legitimate contender in the West, as of current we will not beat them but you add JB and things would be interesting. Idiotic of these players to start their own franchises when they have no shot

sammy and Y2JT like this.
  9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I'd love to hear something about Frankie Smokes Ntilikina

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

damn, Lakers fans now making accounts on CF just to try and get in touch with cyberx and beg for info

amaru, Hakeemtheking, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sauces say we are the Rockets are in the mix …. but are they really ? When Lebron didn't give them a visit , neither did KD ….

We all know Morey chases stars …. water is wet. That doesn't mean they are in the mix for any of them really.

I don't buy any of those sauces.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  12. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

That's about the same chance as Kawhi going to the Lakers.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Someone has to pick basketball over lifestyle and money. The good news is we are in that basketball mix.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Does anyone really know what Kawhi is thinking ? I hear a lot of bullsh!t from the talking heads …. but we haven't heard a thing from the one person that matters.

RichieBanks likes this.
  15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I was devastated after the game 6 loss..took a break from the NBA and the Rockets but NOW I AM BACK and rejuvenated.

We just have to keep knocking on the door! We will eventually win it all!

So basically the only plausible way that Butler can join us is to opt into the last year of his contract and demand a trade to us, am I right?

BaselineFade, lilbird20 and J Sizzle like this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol :)

Little Bit likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Butler's Options

Re-sign in Philly
    Jimmy Butler can opt out and sign a 5 year roughly $184m contract with Philly after tax.

Sign With Another Team
    With everyone else, he can sign a 4-year at $140m with each team's tax situation different. On an LA team, this would work out to about $131m. On a NY team, this would work out to about $134m.

Here, he is limited to teams with cap space. The teams that can renounce all their free agents and create enough cap room to sign him to the max salary are Atlanta, Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, Dallas, Indiana, Clippers, Lakers, Milwaukee, New York, Phoenix, Sacramento, Utah.

Opt-in and Trade and Extend
    If he opts in, he would make $20m this season. Then he could be extended for 4 years and $160m, meaning he made $180m over 5 seasons.

If he signs with the Mavericks, Spurs, Rockets, Grizzlies, Heat or Magic he would pay no state income tax. Effectively, this means he is passing up about $4m over 5 years when compared to what Philly can offer him.

The downside of this strategy is that he's living on a promise. The upside is he basically can choose any team in the NBA to get traded to since Philly is likely to want to get something of value back than letting him walk, yet at the same time Philly can be in position to have 1 almost-max slot if they let Reddick and Butler walk and re-sign Tobias so the assets they get back have to be of better value than what they can secure in the open market.

On an opt-in and trade to an LA team, he would give up $11m in taxes vs Houston's offer. On an opt in and trade to a team in New York, he would give up about $8m vs Houston's offer.

In terms of money we are in a great position. He would be taking the smallest pay cut with us (about $4m), and we have a recent experience doing an opt in and trade and even extending Paul after an injury and on a knee that was repaired earlier in his career.

I've estimated the tax very conservatively here. Basically I've assumed it's half of the tax rate since half of the games are played in other states. My understanding is that if this were calculated with all the appropriate taxes in each state, it would favor us a bit more than that.

If Butler wants to be a Rocket, money will not be an issue imo. He seems to have a good relationship with his Philly teammates. He seems to really be drawn to an LA lifestyle. But I feel like we have a good shot and it's not reasonable to say that he will join so and so team for the money only.

#657 Mathloom, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

It's frankly weird how many people on here are seemingly angry at others for suggesting we are going to go after Jimmy Butler (we are). Like legitimately angry we are talking about it.

Guess what, this has a real chance of happening. Does that mean it will, or even that the odds are great? No, but as many have explained, the money and mechanism for executing it isn't an issue. It's just whether Butler wants to come here, stay in Philly or go elsewhere. The guys has options.

Dudes on here would rather we be talking about who we are getting with the MLE. We literally did this two seasons ago with Chris Paul...like seriously how have you got such short memories!

D-rock and Vivi like this.
  19. Milos

Milos Member

Since we know SAC had FA interest in CC last year ... BEFORE Cauley-Stein & Kostas expired ...
    Would you make this deal, assuming DeAndre Jordan can be signed to start at C?

HOU - 26.4 in
    J Butler (2 @ 20.4)
    J Simmons (2 @ 6)
    HOU brings back 2 home-town kids including the long-sought 3rd Star
    We can replace CC adequately if DJ for cheap rumors are real
    Maybe JJ decides we are a good fit for him in the EG role now that he's in PHI?

PHI - 22.5 in
    E Gordon (2 @ 13.5)
    B Bogdanovic (2 @ 9)
    PHI gets to upgrade JJ Redick without waiting around for FA market
    They instantly free up extra cash by renouncing his rights, combined with $4M saved in deal, to aggressively resign Tobias Harris
    And they get more shooting + insurance against TH leaving in FA with Bogdan

SAC - 13.8 in
    C Capela (5 @ 13.8)
    SAC gets the young C to anchor their DEF and grow with the young core they already have which they already targeted last year
    They can then let Koufos & WCS walk in FA and use extra cap room to bring in more VETs for the bench

DJ
    PJ / Faried
    Butler / Simmons
    Harden / Reddick
    Paul

Solid 8-man PO rotation

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

well a lot of people here have just grown use to striking out a lot on these big FA's. Which has happened for years now. that's a big reason why. You can't really blame them.

JB is a pretty big long shot based on all the circumstances. I'm not sure about the anger you're referring to but its understandably doubted that it will happen

BaselineFade likes this.