1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Tilman Fertitta determined to do "whatever it takes" to improve Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 17, 2019.

1. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I would've thought Thibs burnt his bridges with that whole Butler trade disaster, especially as I think Fertitta's the kind of guy to both hold grudges and take that sort of thing personally.

I'm calling it that JVG never coaches again, absent something like the US Olympic/WC team. He's getting paid and having fun wearing a headset. Why would he get rid of that for a HC's lifestyle?

Joerger, Hollins, are maybes, if not splashy enough for Fertitta.

3. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

RocketWalta, Little Bit and jboslett like this.
  4. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Sounds like you’re intimidated by type A people.

Denovo likes this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thibs you might be right, but at the same time maybe tilman also respects him for just trying to win as many games as possible this past season while saying F you all to everyone else including his own owner :D

JVG i think still has an empty space in his career having gotten close twice but never sealing the deal for the title. his competitiveness and deep admiration for harden's game could bring him in

mastan and Gray_Jay like this.
  6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I say I’m annoyed by Tilman and you say I’m intimidated.

LOL. What a dumbass take. If anything you reading into my comment shows that you’re worried about your masculinity. You have an inferiority complex.

7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

If that's the case, then I can see it. Lord knows these guys are insanely competitive, just to be able to make it to an NBA head coach's seat. It's gotta be hard to turn that off. I'd like to see him in the chair, provided he's kept up to date on what works and what doesn't in the NBA in 2019. Certainly there appears to be great respect between Harden and JVG, which could only help.

I just can't see JVG leaving his current gig. But the lure for a ring is strong, and despite this season's ending, the Rockets were really close to competing in the Finals for one. Better opportunity for one here, than any other likely vacancy in the NBA.

pippendagimp likes this.
  8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Reporters recommendation for 3-yr 60M or 4-yr 75M for Gordon.

Repeater tax won't happen. He can dump Capela.

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I've decided JVG should only leave ESPN to do color for the Rockets full time.

Relativist, smp, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  10. BigBum

BigBum Member

The biggest concern this summer is that Gordon wants to compare his new contract to Chris Paul's.
    Paul $40 million, Gordon _____ million, please fill in the blank.

do whatever it takes?

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

also JVG was interested in our head coach position 3 yrs ago, but les alexander never gave morey his blessing on that direction

Gray_Jay likes this.
  12. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

G
    Gordon's value is his sixth-man of the year type offense, for 13-15 a year. That value goes away at 20 a year, or when you're paying 18.5 a year to a, what, 34-35 year old? Projection is that he gets older, not better next year; maybe even brings back some of his injury-prone history. No way should they give 20 a year for that.

13. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Interesting. I wonder why? That was after Bickerstaff wasn't retained, right? Did JVG and Le$ have long term beef about how JVG left here?

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

imo les wanted a high powered offense b/c that was the direction the league was moving and it also made for more exciting basketball --- more ticket revenue. and he probably already had his mind made up on MDA anyways

smp and Gray_Jay like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

For me , its not that really about ducking the tax , its how doing that left you with so few options for improvement …. while he's telling us he'll do what it takes to improve. Well hell buddy , why didn't you think of that before you sent all your assets out the door to get under the tax line ?

I see no viable plan to upgrade the 5 veteran free agents they will lose …. with One T-MLE.

Gray_Jay and pippendagimp like this.
  16. jboslett

jboslett Member

Returning 5 starters is the key. Yes we’re losing depth, but you’ve got a starting 5 that competes with one of the best teams ever assembled. Is it ideal? No, but to act like our run is over is crazy.

I expect Gary Clark to play next year. I think Hartenstein could make a case for backup 5 next year, especially if he can prove he has 3 point range. Otherwise, I expect Morey to find budget players that fit the system before and during the season, just like last year.

If he can turn Capela into a better Warriors fit (a long 3/4) while finding a cheaper 5 I’d be ecstatic.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

If he wants to use "Whatever it takes" as the slogan next year, Disney may have a word with him.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  18. macan

macan Member

i like what i heard, now let's see if he can deliver

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Get a plane when we actually have cap space to sign a free agent. Also... go tell that to Dwight who picked Houston over The Dallas Cubans.

They care about their own pocket books, a chance to win on the big stage, and advance their careers.

Dwight, Gordon, CP3... all of that happened because Morey was an asset genius and parlayed his hand into James Harden and open guest slots next to him. All I know is since Salty Frozen Shrimp man came along Morey has been managing the team more like... well.... not Daryl Morey. I miss the Daryl Morey who actually would take on a Brandon Knight to acquire a first rounder... not the Daryl Morey who sells off a 1st rounder just to move a Brandon Knight for one year when they wouldn’t have cap space either way.

#79 dobro1229, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Gray_Jay likes this.
  20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

six more players and three more draft picks for another year of Iman Shumpert

not blaming Shumpert, I was happy with his play