1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Tilman Fertitta determined to do "whatever it takes" to improve Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 17, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yep , teams get a limited amount of cash to spend each year , either to facilitate trades or buy picks …. they used their allotment to grease the wheels of those trades. They wont be participating in the draft this year.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Landry-s-Reviews-E2398.htm

2.6 stars on Glassdoor with 39% approving of the CEO. Lol.

3. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

NickKent likes this.
  5. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

So the rockets are going to continue to ignore the draft and overpay for castoff roleplayers. Awesome.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol.

Tillman's reputation among folks that had been in business in Houston for decades conforms to the ratings and reviews. But a very shrewd guy, definitely a hard-ass go getter type, made some right choices, etc.

He's not beloved, that's for sure, but he's had success, so we'll see.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We're in agreement here …. 100%.

They gave that draft pick away for no other reason but to dip under the tax.

They'd be better off today with Knight's (expiring) contract on the books & that first round pick in their pocket.

Instead , they saved $11m and made improving the team exponentially more difficult.

Richie_Rich, mastan and dobro1229 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I dunno. I read the above, and I thought, "He gone." At least Tilman didn't start talking about MDA wanting to spend more time with his family...

I agree with you about Fertitta not likely eating that last contract year. If he does decide to move on though, looking at the second part of that quote, about FA wanting to know who the coach is, I think Fertitta will do it fairly quickly.

pippendagimp likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i have a feeling bzdelik retires and we hire a big name associate coach. ie. a former head coach known for defense

Gray_Jay likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This should be a fun offseason.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pretty sure it's going to be Small ball ISO and 7-8 man rotations to the Death....... oh well.

If PJ breaks down one day, I would not be surprised.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

Are you going to spend millions to buy draft picks this Summer?
    likely: 4 million for one of 34-40th pick, Cap is $800K.

Are you will to take back a ton of salary to move players to upgrade the team?
    highly unlikely: Capela/Shumpert for Love = huge repeater tax
    Capela/Shumpert/2 First Round picks for Butler = huge repeater tax

Are you willing to pledge to NOT give up first rounders again for cost cutting?
    unlikely: profit is more important for boss

#54 BigBum, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
  15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

That would fit in with the whole, "We're not a lifestyle company," language towards the end of the interview. It's also an intermediate step in showing displeasure with MDA, while not firing him, and your plan allows for hiring what might be MDA's successor.

Probably more realistic than firing MDA, buying him out, then buying out Kelvin Sampson from UH and having him come here. Who did you have in mind for the ex-head coach known for D?

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

If Tilman has only 2 options to sign Gordon
    3-year 60 million
    4-year 75 million

Which one is he going to choose?

17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

AIUI, they can't physically spend money this draft to buy picks from teams. The money that could have been used for that, was spent to facilitate their dumps this last season.

I don't think getting Kevin Love improves the team. Assuming he even can play half the year if he was here.

Giving up 1st rounders would only be needed to induce a team to take an albatross contract off the Rockets. They really don't have any more of those contracts. Well, besides Paul, and there aren't enough picks in 10 years of drafts to induce another team to take him. I don't think CC's or EGo's or Nene's are contracts you need to sweeten with a first.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

oh i can't really say. maybe out of tom thibodeau, JVG, dave joerger someone agrees to be 2nd fiddle? another lesser name is lionel hollins

Gray_Jay likes this.
  19. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I don't see, "LOL No, enjoy playing for the Pelicans, Sixers, or Celtics, Eric," as one of your choices.

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Lol the owner speaks in pretty frank terms, maybe even a little edge to them. Something Houston Rockets “fans” would wail and gnash teeth over if he didn’t. But since he did, Houston Rockets “fans” will just go ahead and b**** about it anyway.

Didn’t want to pay luxury tax for James Ennis or Melo or other middling player. Insists he will when a player worth doing it for comes up, so, b****ing ass Houston Rockets “fans” would James Ennis, the guy half of you dimwits couldn’t stop referring to as Anus...was he worth the luxury tax? Melo? MCW?

I need to **** off this site, the negativity is toxic right now.