1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The reason we are not still playing is because Morey botched last offseason completely

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 15, 2019.

1. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

agree, last year's team was so fun watching, just the defensive tenacity is really missing on this year's team

J Sizzle likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Rockets lost to the Warriors in 6 games, while staying fully healthy, with the Warriors without Boogie and KD for 1.5 games.

We would have lost in the WCF instead of the 2nd round. Of course, CP3 might have also been injured by then for all we know.

Losing in the 2nd round is better. It's more embarrassing, as it should be, and hopefully leads to bigger change. Last time when we lost in the WCF, they were cool with just running it back.

SkareKrow, malakas and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't think we would've run it back again had we lost in the WCF to the Warriors. Especially if we'd been the #1 seed and had home court.

It's a moot point now anyway, but given the Rockets have issues winning at Oracle in the playoffs, they need to prioritize having the best record possible next season. Unless by some miracle the Chase Center winds up being a much easier place to win at.

4. JayZ750

I mean I'm not arguing a general truism, which is getting homecourt advantage is always better than not.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

There were more than a few people on here arguing that it didn't matter.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, I think this is right. And Morey did a good job picking up his bench before the run-up to the playoffs. At the same time, he still did completely strike out on the offseason and he does things to make me question his judgment. Not dogging the analysis, but he seems to get fixated on some guys who don't seem like winners anywhere they go even if they fill up a stat sheet -- like Melo or Dwight Howard. This offseason, it was a 'no-regrets' low-cost move, but he wasted his at-bat on Melo. He's praised for managing the cap well so he doesn't get bogged down by albatross contracts and that's mostly true. I fear the Chris Paul contract is the exception though. I don't see how the Rockets could possibly be a better team next season than they were this season. And this season, we weren't as good as we were last season.

7. JayZ750

No. They/we were arguing when it was best to play GSW without HomeCourt. Which was going to happen. The argument was giving up HomeCourt in a potential WCF in order to get GSW earlier and healthier.

If 1st seed was a possibility would have definitely preferred that.

YOLO likes this.
  8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

You suck at critical thinking.

1) Morey has this thing called a salary cap to work against.
    2) He wanted to Sign Lopez. He choose The Bucks.
    3) Morey picked up Rivers and Faried and House. All better than the minimum wage players he could have picked up in the summer.
    4) Do you not realize his owner wouldn’t let him spend into the luxury tax or use the MLE? Who do you expect him to sign for min wage?

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

You guys keep saying Morey Muffed the offseason. Who exactly did you want him to sign?

This is an ownership fail not Gm.

10. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I do not think Morey is to be blamed here, at least not for player acquisition. I think the key reasons for the loss:
    1) D'Antoni system just does not work. Jacking up contested 3's is streaky at best. Pathetic logic with substitutions. Players are just forced to shoot 3s rather than utilizing their strengths.
    2) Harden lacks killer mentality when it counts the most. Attempted 1 shot in the last 10 min of the Game 5. How can one expect to win here when rest of the teammates are bricking 3s?
    3) Harden to Capella game got completely exposed and Capella's overall game itself got exposed as he pretty much can't thrive unless Harden is able to create plays for him. He could have at least showed some resilience on defense instead but that too was weak.

Solution: Coach needs to go. I do not see him changing his style of coaching and too stubborn to adjust. Bring in some solid defensive C/PF. Wanted to see more of Faried in the playoffs at PF.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Like I said, the writing sucks. They totally dumbed down his character and had him make stupid mistakes that are inconsistent with his actions in prior seasons just to contrive adversities for Harden to set up his heel turn.

malakas and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We don't need to change the coach, we don't need to change the system, we need to find a good SF or PF that can create their own shot and not just be a spot up shooter that can't handle the ball and finish plays in the paint. We have been needing that for 3 years now. Ariza was close, but even he and Luc could not dribble and finish well in the paint. That is the spot we need to try and fill this offseason to get back on top. There are several decent FA options out there I hope we can get on the cheap. Get a backup C to replace Nene's role and I think we will be fine to make one more run at G st and take them out.

When phoenix had Nash, Stoudamire, Joe Johnson they were great. When johnson left and they had to rely on Marion on the wing they were not the same and could never beat SA. We gotta find that SF/PF player that can create from the wing and/or below the FT line.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

botched is a strong word. Misplayed was more like it, and you have to give him credit for being able to resuscitate the team after the horrendous start, the melo debacle and early injury. Sure those moves for players who never seemed to be a good fit was an error, but he quickly remedied it. It wasnt Darryl Morey's fault that Clint Capela turned into a big b**** in the playoffs and that his team as a whole forgot how to box out and rebound the damn ball.

malakas likes this.
  14. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Ugh. Just ****ing ugh man.

Even if it was true(WHICH IT ISNT), that’s still a great reason not to sign him.

15. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He’s far better at moving his feet than you think.

malakas likes this.
  16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

We’ll see, he certainly doesn’t move better then capela

17. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

This what being a hopelessly delusional diehard fan looks like.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It is true. Melo not working out is Melo’s fault. Completely true.

19. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He absolutely does. There is no doubt in my mind in that.

20. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He has bad athleticism. Bad shot selection, bad defensive communication.

Bad shooter.

He’s terrible on both ends and has been for several years now. Morey just isn’t a good talent evaluator.