1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The reason we are not still playing is because Morey botched last offseason completely

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 15, 2019.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Instead of improving the team with smart moves Morey had the most disastrous offseason ever. Only focused on signing Carmelo. That didn’t work and cost us precious wins early in the season. Acquired MCW, Ennis just to ship them out later. No one thought those were good moves at the time.

Imagine if instead of that he did something good like signing Brook Lopez who is getting paid under $4 million this year. We would still be playing now and be favorites for the title.

This season was on Morey.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

**** happens.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Melo could’ve worked nicely. Melo just did not have the right attitude.

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

We’ll see how lopez looks against the hamptons 5. Prediction? On the bench.

5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Worriers are better than we give them credit for. They rise up when it counts as players and they get home cooking and get away with barking without getting t'd up.

But Morey's team was the only one to lead or tie the KD worriers in a series and closest yet to take them down.
    We'll see what presumably the bux can do.
    Morey put the fear of God into them.
    We'll see if we can push thru next year. People counted us out and hungover and dead to start this season due to losing ariza and mybooty and the melodrama and MCW bs.

If we can have a great offseason and start next year stronger- we'll be fighting for the top 3 seeds. Book it.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

But what about MDA?

snowconeman22 and Tfor3 like this.
  8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

As long as JB is coaching D - we'll be fine with mda.

If he loses the confidence of Morey/Tillman- they will address it.

I don't think we're there tbh. We lost to worriers not the j*zz. 1 or 2 more wins in regular season and we are 2nd seed and a lock for WCF this year. I believe Tilman's comments about his commitment to making the team better. I think he will open checkbook. I also think MDA will self evaluate and come back better especially since he won't be starting the season with melodrama - the player that led to his parting ways in NY. Also won't be dealing with JB retirement presumably. MDA will be coming back rejuvenated and ready to fight and to call MOAR timeouts and make adjustments :cool:

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, which minimum wage player should Morey have signed?

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i don't think it's all on Morey, but i do think he failed to make the team better than last years team. It was a high bar, and it was going to be nearly impossible to put a stronger product on the floor given we had to bring back CP3 and Clint for more money. But he made some big mistakes in the offseason. Melo was a big mistake. Not going after someone with length and defense in the front court to replace what we lost in Ariza and Luc was a mistake. None of the minimum signings panned out; Ennis was a big disappointment. Our roster was simply not better than last years. We have to acknowledge that. Yes, Rivers and the underused "Manimal" were great adds mid-season. The roster was good enough to give us another legit shot to beat the champs (Morey deserves credit for that), but i don't think it was as good as last years team. Last years' team probably would have beaten this years warriors.

Look, bottom line is Morey is still one of the best GM's in the league and he's gonna figure out how to improve the team between now and Oct.

#10 Aruba77, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I think every team he's been on could say the same thing.

Ramo$e and Tomstro like this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Morey muffed the offseason - but he recovered and assembled a top tier squad...
    We had the horses to beat GSW - especially a diminished GSW with no KD...

it didnt happen...

Look at coaching and system - we looked like ill prepared one dimensional chuckers...

13. Game7

Game7 Member

Things didn’t work out. I think we have been over this. We picked up pieces that (most) people thought were better than those pieces were expected to be anyway and we picked up our record from garbage to good. We went toe to toe with the best and lost in 6 games. We play them better than any other team. Hell yeah I am disappointed but move on.

14. foggy94

foggy94 Member

The reason is not Morey, it's because the salary cap exists. We need to remember that the cap exists entirely to hinder us getting better, it's designed so we can't just go out and sign the best players. Would Lopez at the MLE have worked? Sure, in hindsight it would have been good. But how many other guys were available in the summer? Are we saying that in the masses of minor moves - minimum salary guys, BAE signings, MLE signings, Morey is a failure if he doesn't nail the one player who would work?

Unfortunately the reality is our best market is the buyout market. There are just better players available, guys who get $10m contracts that we can pick up for a minimum. We can't do all our best business in the summer if the best market is in February. Unfortunately that makes things tough, because we need every advantage we can get over the Warriors and I think that includes being good enough all year to get home court. Those are two contradicting things that I don't know they can figure out.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The NBA's showrunners simply do not want the Rockets storyline to continue.

We demand a remake of the 2018-19 season with new writers.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Writing guild is one of the guilds that is on strike half of the time.

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

the only mistake Morey has done is overpay for CP3 and Capela, unfortunately those mistakes destroyed our window for a ring.

The only way out now is to go big (blockbuster trade) or go home (blow it up)

18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

The Allen Iverson Practice Video should be on continuous loop for MDA

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. blackistan

blackistan Member

Tell me something I don't know..Morey tried to cover up his trash offseason by picking up Faried, Rivers but then still managing to make it worse by getting Shump for a 1st rd pick

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Morey was AWFUL this offseason.

TheRealist137 and mastan like this.