1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are some minimum wage free agents that can help us beat the Warriors next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 15, 2019.

1. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

There'll be at least 2 undrafted rookies who we've never heard of but somehow were the player of the year in "insert no-name conference here".

They'll look like steals in the Summer League, only to be traded come the start of the season.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I miss donte green, Jeremy lamb and de Anthony Melton.

Streakshooter likes this.
  3. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

They have to pay house after two bigs basically quit on the team.

First, Melo is completely new York. If you going to bat for melo then he going to bat for you. But if you not going to bat for melo, he ain't putting his body on the line at his age.

Second, Far"weed" quit on the team faking a religious practice which was totally bull ****.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

can we still get nunnally? (lol)

Little Bit likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Probably because you have never watched Dedmon, like all the Clutchfans that have been begging for him for years.

Poor man’s Samuel Dalembert.

6. wesbound

wesbound Member

Sounds legit... how the **** are we getting all this when our cap is locked up?

7. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, neither of us have really watched film on him that much. Keep in mind I think Clint is very much better. But using Clint as a trade chip to get a star or(or a really good role player) while we get Noel who has a similar skill set to Clint(with higher defensive upside imo) isnt so crazy tbh.

8. rockets13champs

We gotta do a 3 way opt in with Orlando and Philly after Orlando loses Vucevic to Sacramento.
    Capela and scraps to Orlando
    Jimmy to Houston
    Fournier and fillers and trade exceptions to Philly...

Deandre takes MLE
    baynes MIN
    Taj min
    Corey Joseph Min
    JaMychal Green I think there’s another MLE

wesbound likes this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

He’s been in the league long enough, no need for tapes. The guy can’t get anything more than a minimum contract around the league. I know you stated he’s much better, so not trying to argue, but the Golden State series is clouding peoples heads with the idea that we can make due without Capela’s 17 and 13 on 65% shooting (rounded up but those are bigger numbers than I even thought). Lord knows we can’t afford a lower seeding with a worse regular season.

I guess it isn’t crazy depending on what star we’d get. But it’s going to be a common problem our teams tend to have. Capela is more valuable to us than he would be to other teams with their roster.

10. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

11. Moahst

Moahst Member

ROBIN LOPEZ.

12. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

13. HP3

HP3 Member

I think looking at his minutes and his pay and concluding that he can’t help us is too easy. His career he’s had injuries and no playing time. I think he could have signed a better deal than OKC. Plus he has put up monster games this great when he has started. Idk I think that warrants a chance.

Yes I agree, I would never move Clint just for Noel, if it could somehow land us another star is the only way I do it.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Looking around the league, it's become entirely possible to get away with going small or playing a mediocre C. As long as we upgrade elsewhere, we can do the same. The team was staggeringly more successful with Tucker at C. You can have a big big man off the bench, but you don't need to pay that person $15m+. Right now the starting C's in the playoffs are Gasol, Lopez, Kanter and Bogut. For overall impact, Capela is better than all those guys. But is he the right fit? Can we get away with 6'1 Paul at PG, 6'4 Gordon at SG and 6'5 Tucker at PF with one of the worst performing benches in the NBA.

Capela is worth his contract, it just doesn't seem to suit what we do. If our entire universe is dedicated to getting perimeter players drives to the basket and otherwise taking a 3pt shot, you want to have a C who can be a threat from the 3pt line.

For me, I'm not thinking Capela sucks and therefore we must trade him. I'm thinking Capela is good but there are better fits for what we do $ $15m+. Someone will be able to make use of Capela's 17/13 on 65% shooting at 24 years old for sure. You have to give up something good to get something good. We're not going to get a star for him, but what I'm seeing is that the teams who have players we could use do not need a C. So you need to get something else for Capela in order to have a chance at those players.

smp, ApacheWarrior and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What about Sergio Llull? Is he ready to help save the world?

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I heard that Corey Brewer is looking for a minimum wage job.

17. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Reading this thread is depressing. Same thing year after year with Morrie. Surround harden with a bunch of scrubs and hope for the best. Signed a bunch of G league team players and washed up vets that can’t shoot the 3 while running an offense takes 53% of their shots from behind the arc. Giving away draft picks so there’s no future up n coming players. Meanwhile, Harden is I’m his prime and it wasn’t last forever.

Yes, there will be plenty of free agents that can contribute but I doubt Morey signs any of them. We need taller players they can rebound and play defense against bigger teams like the Warriors. We need a small forward I can shoot. We need guys that can shoot the three and they’re open. We need ball handlers they can create their own shot and don’t rely on Harden do create everything.

There’s no telling who would accept the minimum or MLE but I’d offer the following players that I think it help the Rockets:

Jared Dudley - might sign for vet min, plays aggressively and can shoot the 3 at 36%, 6’8”

Rodney Hood - good size and scorer. Starting to play like he did in Utah and is still young

Seth Curry - good 3 pt shooter. Young. Plays well off of screens

Malcom Brogdam - Only in the league for one year and shooting over 42% from beyond the arc. Good handles for a 6’5” guy. I do whatever it takes sign this guy. Up-and-coming player

Paul Milsap - solid player for his age. MLE?

Quinn Cook - good 3 pt shooter playing behind 2 all stars

Kevin Looney - good defender and mid range

Al Horford - 33 and still playing well. Can play off the p n r

Derrick Rose - possible vet min that can score. Look pretty good in Minnesota and they played us

Darius Miller - I’d give this guy and MLE or even trade for him. Good 3 pt. shooter, great size at 6’8”, and solid defender.

Guys I’d trade EG and Capela for include Julius Randle and Miller at NO. Bojan Bogdanovic and Evens, and maybe M Morris and Al Horford.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How old is this guy? I swear the CF garm has been talking about this guy coming over for like 20 years now.

HiGHurNAMEis likes this.
  19. anchel

anchel Member

I hope he's not referring to Sergio Llull. Prioritizing Llull over Rivers with the MLE it would be a big mistake. This is not 2015/2016. Llull has had some injuries and past his prime. Rivers is a more useful player with a guaranteed performance right now.

UTSA2step likes this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

We got so ripped off back then. 8th pick for Battier.

If that was offered in today’s era, you would get the 28th pick.