1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are some minimum wage free agents that can help us beat the Warriors next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 15, 2019.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kelly Oubre Jr. Is a near All Star talent

Aaron Gordon is a huge need for the Rockets to play Small Center vs Draymond

Jimmy Butler at SF, a defensive mindset, creator, shoots midrange, clutch shooter

jcmoon likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

ryano2009 and Nook like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Guys who might be realistic even though some wont be minimum guys I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow end up with two guys from this list and drop Green and Fareid.

DRose
    JJ Redick
    Terrance Ross
    Dwayne Dedmon
    Tomas Satoransky
    Bobby Portis
    Rudy Gay
    Thad Young
    Danny Green
    Malcolm Brogdon
    Bojan Bogdanovic
    BroLo
    Milsap
    Horford

4. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets actually have more flexibility and freedom to make changes than last season.

Ryan Anderson is off the books.

Eric Gordon is under a shorter deal. Clint Capela is eligible to be dealt.

The Rockets are also going to have the MLE and can get to the 9.2 MLE fairly easily.

They also have the right to Shumpert and the ability to trade him as salary.

Also, after the draft, the Rockets will have their draft picks available in trade.

Also the Rockets will be in the tax.

There are also a lot of guys that are free agents that fit the Rockets need and can fit under the MLE possibly.

Possible targets:
    Ariza
    Chandler
    Beverley
    Bazemore
    Dedmon,
    Morris
    Carroll
    MKG
    Harris
    Bell
    Matthews
    Green
    Caldwell-Pope
    Brook Lopez
    Gibson
    Jordan
    Noel
    Reddick
    McConnell
    Oubre
    Holmes
    Aminu
    Curry
    Hood
    Danny Green

There are a lot of players that could slot into the Rockets MLE and start or play 30 minutes a game for the Rockets.

Also there are lots of players that fill the Rockets needs.

So I would be shocked if this off season isn't quite a bit better than last.

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I would LOVE to have Danny Green on this team. His defense is so underrated and we know he's a dead-eye 3 point shooter.

Go get Beverly back and see what we can get for Clint.

payaso likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is NOTABLE from Morey regarding Free Agents. Sounds like he has his eyes on some International prospects.

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Market value by million - subjective
    JJ Redick - 9
    Terrance Ross - 8
    Dwayne Dedmon - 7
    Tomas Satoransky - 8
    Bobby Portis - 8
    Rudy Gay - 8
    Thad Young - 9
    Danny Green - 8
    Malcolm Brogdon - 20
    Bojan Bogdanovic - 6
    BroLo - 8
    Milsap - 15
    Horford - 20

Positive view: Some of them don't want money, want rings.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I am not sure how I feel about that.

One way to read that is to say that Morey isn't confident that he will land good enough players in the NBA so he is forced to look outside the USA.

I do know that the Rockets have spent a lot of time the last couple years scouting the Europe market.

I personally believe that the Rockets will be able to get a good starter for their MLE, especially if they make the moves to get the 9.2 MLE.

Chamillionaire and Deuce like this.
  9. BreakYoSelfFool

I wonder if Morey has considered bringing over Llull

#49 BreakYoSelfFool, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    WestendMassive likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

What are Vassilis Spanoulis & Kostas Papanikolaou up to?

ChumpCity likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Llull be shocked at who Morey lands.

Vivi likes this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

Deividas Sirvydis, Amine Noua or Sekou Doumbouya. Otherwise get Yull to come through

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So you are saying to get to the 9.2 MLE (versus the ~ 5M T-MLE) you are expecting salaries to go out and ensure the Rockets are not a LT team this season? Or is it they can use the 9.2 MLE and be in the tax and then it would *hard cap* the team. I always feel the Rockets won't ever *hard cap* themselves so they never box themselves in in case they have to pivot.

Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, there are a number of guys available that can fill the long wing spot.

If I had to wager, I would say that Aminu is the most likely target with the MLE.

Aminu has the height to play 3-5 and he has a wingspan of 7'3".

The Rockets really missed the long wingspans of Ariza and Moute this season.

The Rockets would be able to get Aminu 30 minutes a night at the 3-5 and he can hit 3's well enough and can rebound the ball well.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I'm tired and groggy, so I could very well be wrong (it won't be the first or the last) but I was under the impression they could cut several of their smaller salary players to get to the threshold for the larger MLE (non-tax holders). I cannot see the Rockets hard capping unless it is to add a legitimate star.

I think it really depends on what and who is available in the trade market, compared to the MLE.

Deuce likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good timing....I will pay more attention to how Aminu plays vs GSW. Was surprised he was basically benched in the 2nd half of the Nuggets Game 7 though.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

He has lapses sometimes. Also, depending on who is around him, he can be a liability if asked to score.

Still, he is a Swiss army knife for a team like the Rockets. He addresses the rebounding and switching issues well and he can hit 3's and free throws. If there are any red flags with him, it would be a concern about his discipline on when to switch.

A lot of people criticized the Rockets for the frequency of their switches (especially in games 1 & 2 versus the Warriors), but the problem wasn't the strategy, it was that the Rockets lacked the proper players to make switches.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I like Aminu's fit. I prefer landing a guy I think could blossom into a real big time player though like Kelly Oubre, although I foresee him getting A LOT of money from Phoenix to stay whether it's straight up or a match.

UTSA2step, joshuaao and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Oubre is a good fit if he is hitting his 3's. He is athletic and talented.

It is also very possible the Rockets try to land 2 of those long swing players (obviously not someone as good as Oubre).

treyk3 likes this.
  20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

New System.... Stop with isolation only and layups and three's only

payaso likes this.