1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Sleepers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, May 14, 2019.

1. basketballholic

Jalen McDaniels

Don't know where to start with this kid. His negative is he's rail thin. The rest of his game is on track to develop as a versatile 3/4/5 with length and tools on both ends. I guess what I like about him most is he just goes and makes a play, whatever is needed. Run the floor. Defend. Set the screen. Rebound. Catch and shoot. Roll and finish. Drive and finish or dish. Bring it up. Harass 94 feet. Defend the rim.

Dude just makes the right plays and he's developing all his basketball skills simultaneously.

And he fits our system. If he's there in the second round and hasn't matriculated to the first I'd try to buy a pick for him for sure.

This next video shows the good and the bad. Especially against Duke where the team is overmatched.

You can see the defense. You can see the offensive potential. Obviously need to develop. So does every kid. But the developing skills. Nice.

Vivi likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Talented kid, but there are potential off-court issues. McDaniels is from my current neck of the woods (Tacoma area) and I remember that he's being sued by two different girls for recording them having sex and sharing the videos on social media. In one case, he was the one having sex with the girl, and in the other it was a friend of his and Jalen was hiding in the closet.

The trials haven't started yet and nothing has been proven, but if the charges are true it shows a distinct lack of judgement. Hopefully bad behavior as a young guy wouldn't derail a basketball career, but it's happened before.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

His kid brother Jaden is just finishing up high school and is among the top 10 college recruits on most lists.

4. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

#4 cjvnyc, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Vivi and basketballholic like this.
  5. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

By the way, Matisse Thybulle is now being mocked in the first round, so he's no longer a sleeper, but, still, if you want to enjoy yourself check out highlights of him playing defense.

D-rock and Clutch like this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

So this a pointless thread since the Rockets have no picks

No Worries likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't forget that 8-inch vertical.

xiki, BHannes2BHonest and javal_lon like this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

Hopefully we buy a 2nd round pick. Jontay Porter looks to check a lot of boxes for the what we need. He seems like a fit and a still mid to late 2nd round for us.

10. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Jaylen Nowell (mentioned above) reminds me of CJ McCollum- not as good, mind you, but very similar-looking games.

11. basketballholic

Beat me to it. Was going to post about him next.

This guy is very interesting. Very powerfully built combo guard.

The shooting is there. Plenty of range. And can hit off the dribble as well as off screens and spot up C&S. Solid mechanics and decent release.

A side note here, he is very good even closed out. He has a back for finding the right spot on the floor after ther close out. Will navigate to the FT line (not FT extended) and either get a high percentage look that he converts at a very efficient clip or he'll find somebody or he'll continue to the rim. I'm making note of this food this reason. He does not choose to pull a bunch of midrange shots outside the paint. But he does take those 5-15 footers in the paint area. And with his mechanics and his jets to get him up and extended those are very good shots, efficient shots.

So he has a great sense for great shot selection.

The next part of his game is how he attacks the rim. Another thing I really like is he seeks out contact with the big on his finishes inside. He's not falling down trying to elicit the whistle. He seeks the bump to deaden out the opposing bigs reach and to establish just the space he needs to complete the finish. Very, very impressive.

Passing - he sees the floor well and makes the right pass, delivers ball accurately and conveniently for shots, drives, and finishes. But he's not a gifted passer. Does not incorporate deception into his passing. And he does have a tendency to throw a lot of jump passes. I'd consider him NBA average passer.

Defensively is where I have questions about him. I don't think he'll be able to defend NBA point guards well. Don't think he can slide well enough. But I don't know for sure because I haven't seen enough video on him. He was depended on for his offense. I think he could potentially defend wings.

If..... he does prove to be a useful serviceable defender then he could turn into a steal.

I was not aware we had invited him in for a look. That tells you he met some base scouting criteria we had.

#11 basketballholic, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Vivi and cjvnyc like this.
  12. basketballholic

Tacko has improved considerably since high school. I do not consider him a viable NBA level talent at this time. Maybe later if he develops a significant NBA skill.

13. basketballholic

Terence Davis

This guy appears to be off most everybody's radar screen. 6'4" 4- year senior guard. May go undrafted.

But this man is an NBA player. Because the skills, maturity, and drive are in place. Needs to improve skills somewhat. But they're a good enough base to work with. And when you experience his character you can see it.

He's billing himself as a 3&D role player. Which is great. And really smart. Because he actually played some point at Ole Miss. But he's showing with his words and actions that he will grind and do the dirty work. Very humble person. I love his character and attitude.

Skills wise - he is blazing fast end to end while maintaining good control of the ball. A lot of times at Ole Miss he was a one man fast break running right past multiple defenders.

Very active. Reminds me of a young Kyle Lowry if you took Lowry's body and flattened and stretched it out to 6-4. To me he compares favorably to DeAndre Melton. Except I think he's more driven than Melton is. I think he's a great on-ball defender from the first step on an NBA court. His length should make him able to defend 1-3. Don't know about 4-5.

Offensively he can shoot it, handle, and pass. Not elite at any of them. But his skills are on an upward trajectory. I'd say his shooting is NBA quality. And handle and passing are headed to a decent level.

I do not know why this guy isn't getting any run. But I'd personally like to see him in a Rockets jersey.

Check out the video and listen to his interviews

roslolian, Nook and Vivi like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

Jaxson Hayes
    Late lotto so not much of sleeper but will be a top 3 stand out of the class. The raw tools & size are there with a shooter’s feel and he is still learning the game. I would trade away the farm less Harden for him. He and Harden would complement one another perfectly for years to come.

Wonder if Capela and a future unprotected 1st would get it done.

- Sign WCS and/or Holmes in the short term.

- Use Capela cap towards Tomball Jimmy.

15. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Well, Jaylen Nowell just lept from undrafted in the ESPN mock to #40 on NbaDraftNet, on seeing him at the Combine (no surprise, really- Morey is great at scouting the back half of the draft):

(Celtics beat writer for NBA.COM)

Jaylen Nowell dazzled all throughout Game 2 with a combination of athleticism, offensive creativity, and defensive awareness.

The University of Washington product intercepted a pass early in the first half for Team 3, which he turned into a fast-break, double-clutch dunk. He also displayed a strong mid-range game, knocking down a couple of jumpers.

Nowell finished with 10 points, three rebounds and three assists, of which two were dished in behind-the-back fashion.

16. basketballholic

Mike Daum

Negatives first

1. Considered unathletic - I say considered. He's not a great athlete. But I think he's probably more athletically capable than given credit for. He's not real fast. But he does get up and down. Doesn't look quick. Yet when he gets caught switched on a small he does good.

2. He does need core conditioning in my opinion. He's not fat but his body is soft. He needs a body coach that will work with him on core strength and help him get chiseled, add a little muscle.

3. He played at South Dakota State against largely substandard competitors.

4. He's 23 and will be 24 this year.

That's it. That's his negatives.

Positives

1. 6'9" F/C with long arms that can shoot the ball from anywhere. Can shoot it off the dribble or catch and shoot.

2. Good post moves. Knows how to exploit smaller defenders.

3. Great ball IQ. Takes bigger defenders outside and shoots over them. Takes smaller guys into the past as necessary and beats them.

4. Great rebounder. Good fundamentals with the box out. And that instinct to read the shot and know where the ball is going.

5. Smart defender that has shown some switchability and smooth to defend the post.

When he did play against big schools like Wichita state, Ohio State, etc. he played well. Probably won't get drafted because of age. But he's really worth a second rounder and if undrafted he should get a call and offer.

#16 basketballholic, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Vivi likes this.
  17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

18. Fantasma Negro

19. basketballholic

I don't consider Chuma a sleeper. He's a known quantity. Just an injury pushing him down.

20. Fantasma Negro

Either way he should be there in the second round and thus gettable

woket likes this.