1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

So... does anyone know what happened to Eric Gordon in Game 6?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, May 13, 2019.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

If you told me that Harden and CP3 would outscore the Splash Brothers 62-60, I'd tell you we were in great shape to win because surely you'd think Gordon would be able to outscore the rest of the Warriors' starters and then some. Instead, he shot the ball 10 times, only attempted two threes (!!!) and finished with a game worst -15. He was outscored by Iguodala, Looney, and Livingston, and only scored 1 point more than Draymond... yikes.

I was never a fan of starting Gordon at the 3 because it's an undersized rotation that would struggle with rebounding (Gordon only grabbed a single board in Game 6), but the lineup proved me wrong with how well they played in the 2nd half of the season and in the Utah series, and it was because Gordon proved to be indispensable with his high volume/efficient shooting and elite defense on Mitchell.

But for that small lineup to work, Gordon has to be able to shoot with high volume and efficiency. If he's not, we're going to get killed because of the size/rebounding issues. To only shoot 2 threes in 37 minutes? Unacceptable. For context, Gerald Green attempted 7 threes in 12 minutes. Draymond Green, Jerebko, and Cook each attempted 2 threes, the latter 2 with way less minutes.

I actually thought this was worse than his Game 7 last year where he went 2-12 from long range. I'd much rather him go out shooting than whatever this was.

So what exactly happened to him? Did the Warriors make a defensive adjustment? Was he being run off the line all game? Were our other players hogging the shots? Did he succumb to the pressure?

Either way, I would definitely like to see him return to his 6th man role next season and we play a more traditional, bigger wing at the SF slot that can rebound well. I would even start Danuel House because he did that for a small stint and the team had success, though the best scenario obviously would be adding Jimmy Butler.

#1 Zergling, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    cbs1507, s3ts and GradyMcTracy like this.
  2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

probably got a long pep talk from ryan before the game

apollo33, CriscoKidd and Zergling like this.
  3. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

His A$$ puckered up so tight you couldn't stick a tooth pick up it.
    But other than that not much...

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

As long as we are going to be doing pipe dreams that have no realistic chance at working- the best scenario would be Kawhi or KD

Butler would be great, but I don't see any way that could possibly happen either

RyanB likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

i just don't think he had much fun on Friday.

RyanB, Deckard, UTSA2step and 7 others like this.
  6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

He shows up we win the game even with Harden's small-minded lapses

7. biina

biina Member

Not only Gordon - Harden, MDA and most of the squad too.

The team lacks poise under the pressure of high expectations.

bj3175 and OddsOn like this.
  8. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Ya he really hasn’t gotten enough flak for the Game 6 no show, albeit he did play well for most of the series including a big Game 3.

I prefer him to come off the bench honestly, if both CP and Harden decide to shoot more shots with him in the lineup then he loses opportunities by default. The only reason he was more impactful this year even in the starting lineup was CP’s decline and resultant apprehension to shoot.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

To be fair to EGo Re:Rebounding, we are a pretty poor rebounding team with or without him. So that's not really on him.

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

Poor by choice though. We used a Capela/Faried/Tucker lineup for a little bit and those rotations dominated the boards, but I guess the lineup was too big for MDA's liking.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Our best rebounding lineup (by rebound percentage) that played at least 75 minutes was Harden, EGo, House, PJ, and Capela.

Nene didn't play enough with any lineup to make it. Faried only played enough with one lineup, and that was our worst rebounding lineup.

For 3 man lineups, our best group was EGo, House, and Tucker. Followed by EGo, House, and Harden. Then EGo, House, and Capela. Interesting that EGo (and House) are in our 3 best 3-man lineup rebounding groups.

cbs1507, HP3 and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Need to go after Derrick rose in free agency.

At 3 minute mark of 4th quarter, gordon drives late misses layup and capaela grabs the board and looks to three point line for a kick out at the last second capaela goes back up with a miss.

Pretty much bad luck, miss layup, get 50/50 ball, then miss the put back.

Ariza made a name for himself with late game dunks and he routinely closed out games as a role player with late gam drives. Hopefully, house picks up where Ariza left off.

Aruba77 likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

He’s a streaky player and the smallest forward in NBA history because he’s got too much pride to be the best 6th man in the league. What happened in game 6 is what happened all year long, which is to say he didn’t play very well likely because he is out of position.

We need players taller than 6’4”

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Trading Eric Gordon with Clint Capela, picks for Aaron Gordon, just upgrade the Power Forward, Small Center already.

15. Zergling

Zergling Member

That was my point. MDA briefly threw out a Capela/Faried/Tucker and Nene/Faried/Tucker lineup for like 2 games at most. Both completely destroyed on the glass, and inexplicably we never saw them again. Both had very high net ratings as well.

Those lineups deserved a higher sample size (e.g. over 75 minutes)

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The same thing that always seems to happen with this team.....he failed to show up when it mattered the absolute most.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Games 5 and 6 he played nervous. Mishandling passes and shooting out of rhythm

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. blackistan

blackistan Member

Same thing that happened to Harden...disinterest and lack of urgency

20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The push off made by harden which was whistled stalled the offense.

The push off was classless and the bad pass turnover was stupid.

The Thompson steal on harden was like the Ariza steal against the Celtics that sealed the deal for a championship ring when Ariza played for the Lakers 10 years ago.