1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Morey given permission to spend into the luxury tax!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, May 12, 2019.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

#1 TheRealAllpro, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    BigShasta likes this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

By the way, when you say "every other GM", there are currently 5 teams in the luxury tax, per Spotrac.

The Celtics, Blazers, Raptors, Thunder, and Warriors. Four of those teams are mired in absolute mediocrity while also costing their owners a bunch of extra dough.

I am in favor of the Rockets paying luxury tax. I'm only warning Clutchfans that you want to pay lux tax for the right players. Everyone is now going to get antsy and demand that we immediately go and sign every Marcin Gortat and Frank Kaminsky out there. We know that Morey is going to be patient and cryptic. It's going to be a long summer.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

And yet three of the five are still in the playoffs as the conference finals start up. Maybe there's a correlation?

4. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

bullshit

chadyang likes this.
  5. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

AD or bust.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Said the same thing a year ago so uhh we'll see.

chadyang, Ziggy, burlesk and 21 others like this.
  7. BigDikNENE

BigDikNENE Member

its happening

8. Mr. Space City

yeah, aight...

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's a mixed bag. I'd argue that the Celtics and Thunder tried to do the right thing but are even more screwed than we are, salary-cap-wise. Hayward is now Parsons 2.0 (on a $31M!!!! contract), Kyrie is a headcase, Horford fades in prime time ($29M!!) and you can't build on Russell Westbrook.

I'm not familiar enough with the Blazers roster to really break down where all of that money is going. EDIT: It's that $18M Evan Turner contract. That's an example of what we don't want to do.

The Raptors acquired a fantastic two-way star and surrounded him with high-IQ veteran role players (Green, Gasol, etc etc). However, that $24-25M contract for Marc Gasol still really hurts. Honestly, $22M for Ibaka at this point hurts, too.

There is no magic answer to using the luxury tax. But at least it will be an exciting summer.

burlesk likes this.
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Man...not even a week since getting eliminated and the Rockets PR team is in damage control mode and fully operational.

That's some dedication.

Dont say you will do it.

Just STFU and do it.

We all have seen how they said the same thing right after last years's playoffs and laid a big fat egg over the off-season.

chadyang, Ziggy, dragonwill and 24 others like this.
  11. ApuN

ApuN Member

Sajan likes this.
  12. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Let's go!!! Throw the ****in checkbook at MCW

chadyang, burlesk, LorneMalvo and 6 others like this.
  13. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Melo says he’ll accept 10 million as long as he starts

14. HROZ

HROZ Member

Yea the great thing about the raptors is their older players

Lowry Gasol Ibaka only have a year left.
    So they run it back next season then hand the keys to Leonard and the young uns. And they'll have cap space.

???? ????
    Siakham
    Anunoby
    Leonard Powell
    ???? VanVleet

Portland have 2 expirings
    Turner 17 mill next year
    Meyers Leonard 10 mill next year.

If they can flip them and some DPs for say a 2nd rate star they could be really good next year. Though they need Nurk back as well.

Doubt they can keep Kanter Hood and Curry too though. And they need a backup PG if they trade Turner.

burlesk, Jake Tower and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

article just says we can spend the MLE - even if it takes us over the lux tax...

Wasnt that the plan all along? Wasn't the whole reason for cutting our own throats this year was to get under the tax - so we wouldnt have to worry about the lux + repeater tax for the next 3 years? ...bc we already got fat money going to Harden, CP3 and CC over that span...

Weren't we already planning on using the mle to try to keep whatever we could of Rivers, House and Faried?

Koperboy, Gray_Jay, LFE171 and 5 others like this.
  16. HROZ

HROZ Member

For us.

Gordon Capela Tucker are on good contracts.

Paul is not unfortunately. And if we can trade him I'd be down. Gordon too I'd trade if we can't afford to bring him back after his contract expires.
    But we do have 9milll to play with.

And we need to definitely make one last run. Before Paul's contract and play becomes too much of a weight on our shoulders

Capela Nene Hartenstein
    Tucker Clark
    Gordon
    Harden
    Paul

Are the players I think we have signed for next season. I'm still waiting on the Ariza and Moute replacements. Also Ariza and Moute are not Ariza and Moute replacements anymore.

Bengchu, burlesk and BigShasta like this.
  17. farhen

farhen Member

tilman is full of $hit, full of bark no action

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

19. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

I will believe it when i see it.

They could have done it this season and we might have got past Warriors.

Next year everyone will be one year older. Good luck with that..

Gray_Jay and slothy420 like this.
  20. dejamike

dejamike Member

I know we as fans, we don’t care about the lux tax because it’s not our money, but from a business standpoint, the organization has to be smart in regards of spending. I’m glad that our GM got the ok to go for it. Hopefully this will be the off season that we actually can get over the hump. I’m so tired of the so called hypes in the past years... S. Swift, Ron Artest, Melo, Ty Lawson, Barkley, and etc... I was 15 when the Rox last won a ship, can we get another one before I turn 45 pleassssse?