1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David West: 'Stop letting nerds tell you how to play basketball....'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBA_fan_2018, May 11, 2019.

1. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

Well.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/10/david-west-tweet-daryl-morey-nerd/

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

At this point I agree. Morey needs to let his players play and play to their strengths. If Paul wants to take only mid range jumpers then so be it. If Harden wants to bring back his elite mid range game so be it.

3. Mr. Space City

Well the nerd had the rockets competing with the most talented team of all time with a significantly less talented roster.

PhilCollins, foh, Bo6 and 52 others like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The Rockets opened themselves up to such criticisms by playing so incredibly shitastically. The anti-Rockets and anti-Moreyball sentiment will be higher than it has ever been. And the team deserves all the **** that gets talked about them.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Depends on what you mean by "competed." But yes, they won two games and then put their uniforms on again for the last two games.

pauebtg, hakeem94, jboslett and 9 others like this.
  6. Mr. Space City

They were right there in those last 2 games. It’s not like they got blown out.

Listen to the warriors in the post game conference. They respect how much the Rockets pushed them.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Nobody has done better against the Warriors than we have. Yet somehow we’re doing it wrong. Ok.

8. sw847

sw847 Member

Well so did the clippers, a team which is A LOT less talented than the rockets AND they had to face the golden state was at full strength....so u like how the clippers are constructed right now? Come on, we have an old 40mil player on half a leg, a “super star” who takes a stroll when ever he don’t have the ball (I counted at least 5 times today he was at half court during offence). We are not gonna win anything as currently constructed

9. Mr. Space City

The warriors took the rockets more seriously than the clippers.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

It’s definitely true, at least part of it. Even people on here have bought this idea of this percentage of threes equals this amount of twos and slowing it down means less opportunities for turnovers so we just go from 7 seconds or less to 20 seconds or more.

That’s all in a vacuum and while it has paid off during the regular season, only because of Harden’s talent and to a lesser degree CP3 as their isolation proved to be very efficient, you know the playoffs are a different animal.

We need to simply diversify our offense and build a strategy for the playoffs, but takes a roster staying together and a coach willing to adjust as well as a Morey understanding the flaws in his stats driven theories.

JoeBarelyCares and payaso like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Participation Ribbon Level: Blue

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I get that it’s not the end goal. But these guys **** on us like everyone else is doing it the right way and we’re broken. I don’t see that. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t diversify and continually evolve but what we’ve tried to do wasn’t worthless.

Houstunna and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

More and more teams are moving towards playing Moreyball. It's the way the entire league will play very soon. Threes, free throws, and high percentage two point shots. I believe this system has worked very well for the Rockets.

The Rockets couldn't beat the Warriors because the Warriors are a better team. The Rockets need to continue to try to get better players. The Rockets may never be able to win a championship during the Harden era, but I won't blame the system.

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit if Morey walks away this offseason.

He's tried, tried and tried again. He can't get over the Warriors hurdle.

At some point it's going to drive him insane.

tinman and RyanB like this.
  15. sw847

sw847 Member

Lol...not gonna argue with that....all I am saying is we accomplished the same as the clippers in regards to playing golden state....we need someone who can push harden. James is a great player, one of if not the best scorers in the game today, but f@$ker is lazy! If he don’t have the ball he don’t move, plays defense only half of the tube. We need someone who will hold him accountable. Off all the short coming of the Gianis, his drive on both ends of the floor is not one of them. We need someone to push harden, he has potential to be great on both ends

281Texan and smp like this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

mauri to the clips would be deadly. nerd with a big pocket backing him.

jboslett, daywalker02 and smp like this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I like it

WarEagleRockets likes this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Seriously, it baffles me how some people really believes Harden is not taking mid range shots or he's walking the ball up and standing there watching instead of running and moving without the ball because that's what Morey wants :confused:

19. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

Getting blown out 5/6 times (twice at home) isn't being competitive. If the Warriors actually took them seriously it'd be 4-0, not 4-2.

francis 4 prez, Reeko and BigM like this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Says the thug with no rings.