1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unrealistic expectations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketOrg, May 10, 2019.

1. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Lots of blame on this board being punted at Harden but I don’t think he’s the issue. The rest of the team is complete trash. Morey is the one to blame for not surrounding him with quality players. Morey is the one that let Ariza leave and couldn’t sign a quality SF to replace him.

Did you guys really think this team could win a championship? When Kevin Durant one out you knew they had enough players on the team to still be good. What with this team look like without harden? I’ll tell you. It’s a lottery team. Morey never replaced Ariza. He signed a G League player in House after experimenting with Ennis and Anthony, then gave up next years draft pick to bring in Shumpert. Where was he tonight?

Yep, Morey is the one that paid Paul $160 million when he’s on the down side of his career. Jesus, just look at the rest of the team with the exception of Tucker. Look at Gerald Green jacking up stupid off-balance 3’s and getting shoved around the paint. Look at how Capela was paralyzed with the ball in his hands and getting shoved around by Draymond Green. I actually think Gordon is a good shooter but his ball handling and passing is horrible.

No, Morey is to blame for hiring MDA and putting this team together. Seriously, ask yourself if you thought this team could win a championship when we sign Camello Anthony and then cut him. Ask yourself if you thought House could come in and fill that position. What did Morey do? Oh yeah he went out and signed a couple of G league point guards that never even saw the court in the playoffs. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

ramotadab likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Harden is absolutely an issue. He isn’t that guy to lean on in the playoffs. Big games like this he’s just not up for it. You could already tell when he misses 3 free throws in the 1st quarter. He’s not that dude.

If he’s the #1 guy they’re not winning. I’ll never trust him again

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When I see a guy take a Sunday stroll down the court and pull 20 Toronto Game Tracy Mgradys(standing near the half court twiddling your thumbs on a offensive possession), I know he is never going to lead an NBA team to a ring.

4. max14

max14 Member

Paul = a very old and poor man's Curry
    Gordon = very poor man's Thompson
    Capela = a broke ass poor man's Green, heck, might not even be that
    Tucker = a poor man's Iguodala

er that's left with
    Harden vs Durant.

Yeah, it is unrealistic to demand the Rockets to win.

ramotadab, PolarBear and JBAC123 like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think we all had a pretty good idea based on the past history between these teams that the Rockets weren't going to win this series. So, this is totally not unexpected. I know everyone wants to have blind enthusiasm. I was shocked at a segment of you thinking game 7 was a sure thing.

plutoblue11, jeevinesh and napalm06 like this.
  6. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

We were foolish to think we automatically would win a ring if we beat GS. To be honest the way the Rockets played in round 1, I was thinking (to myself) that I wouldn't be surprised if we were swept? We played like garbage. Nothing compared to last year. Our expectations were WAY too high and I think we have deeper issues at hand. It sucks and I feel numb but come October I hope Morey assembles a team that fights and plays with heart.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Did anyone really expect the Rockets to beat the Warriors before the season started?

ramotadab and sushimaster like this.
  8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

maybe harden isn't the cold blooded killer we all want him to be but we also just lost to the more talented team.

the warriors flat out had more talent on the court than we did. even without KD or boogie, they have more talent.

9. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

That’s correct. We don’t have near the level of talent and yet it was close. I really think we need to make a trade this off-season and replace Capela and if possible CP3. Doubt it happens since no one will want Paul’s big contract but one can dream

10. Mr. Space City

It was very realistic to think the Rockets could at least beat the Warriors at home without Kevin Durant and Boogie Cousins.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I get what your saying and I was mad thinking that at the end of the game.

But we really don’t know.

I mean harden has done better against these warriors than Lebron, lebron did get banged out by these warriors with Irving and love Just two finals ago and swept last year.

Nobody has won more than 2 games against the warriors over the last 3 playoffs but the rockets 5 wins and clippers 2 wins.

It’s hard for me to believe that if harden had klay with him and the warriors had Eric Gordon that the rockets wouldn’t have won this game and game 7.

Harden doesn’t play with any in their prime Allstars. Not one.

His two best players he’s played with our past their prime cp3 and Dwight.

I’d like to see him with a true Allstar under 30 before I make that claim.

Because the reality is nobody is beating these warriors it’s not like we’re flaming out against bums.

I find it hard to believe that we can’t best Toronto or Denver or even the bucks it’s just the warriors man they got great top end talent and a great player in curry and KD and two Allstar level guys in klay and green(overrated but still awesome in his own right)

Harden played pretty damn good this series cp3 steppes up big tonight but the rest of the team besides tucker we’re utter useless.

Get harden jimmy butler or someone of that caliber or better and then I’ll know what harden is or isn’t.

I’m not gonna pile on him right now, we have high hopes because of him.

I do agree tho that he’s very passive in big moments but he did make winning plays tonight but he can’t do everything.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

100%

But the reality is curry klay green iggy and apparently looney

Is better than harden cp3 Gordon tucker and Clint.

That’s facts.

But we still should have won this Game no excuses.

But their still more talented even minus kd.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

GS had way more talent...the Bucks do too

Harden should take control of his career and demand a trade before he retires ringless

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

I can’t say harden has done better than lebron when he won a championship by beating them. That’s the ultimate feat. The goal was accomplished.

Yes I get what you’re saying but for 1 game at home for your season, he’s got to just muster up a performance, especially in that 4th quarter against a kd less team. If he’s that player so many people believe he is, those kinds find a way to Will their team to a w. It’s just happen way too much for me personally. I just now realize as good as he is, he isn’t the player in the playoffs you see for much of the mvp regular season. There’s a huge difference in his comfort level in between seasons.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't think this was wasted season. The Rockets were horrible at the first year and were lottery-bound, if Harden missed a few games. They turned things up a notch to vault back towards the top half of the Western playoffs.

Harden had one of the greatest seasons ever. His performance rivaled MJ and Kobe.

You need a great team to beat Golden State, or be a serious Achilles heel to a great squad. Fortunately, they might lose KD or Klay at that point.

16. Asian Sensation

We had a sick team. This team had tons of talent and Harden had plenty of help. Surely, enough to compete with the Warriors with Boogie and Durant. And definitely enough to beat them without Boogie and Durant. He didn’t get it done and now you wanna say his teammates are “complete trash”?

So last year it was cause we were missing CP3 (understandable) but this year it’s cause we were missing Ariza? Trevor Ariza y’all.

Never change Clutchfans... never change.

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Let’s be real yes Lebron won the finals but it was dumb luck they were down 3-1 and green was suspended game 5.

If they play that series 10 times Under that same 3-1 hole Cavs don’t win not one time.

It was great that it happened but that was some crazy crazy luck.

And Lebron is better than harden.

I want to win the odds that harden gets it done are slim but that would be the case if kd was in hardens place instead of harden.

The warriors are just that great.

With or without KD they are still the most talented team in the league by a long shot.

I guess we could blow it up ( not gonna happen)

But our best chance is still building around harden.

We just need to get him a real Allstar under 30.

Then we will all have our answer.

And I agree we should have won tonight we had a 7 point lead in the 4th with to chances to push it to 9+

We didn’t and they got it to 1 in less than 1 min.

18. jowman

jowman Member

capela is a broke mans looney. tucker is a poor mans green. not that it matters

smp likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean if we’re going to talk about luck kd went down in game 5 with a 4th quarter left to play. Tie game. A fully healthy rockets team couldn’t beat them for 1 quarter to come home? On to game 6. A fully healthy team couldn’t beat a kd less team in an entire game? Come on now, the rockets just beat them twice with kd. Just Inexcusable. This is the 4th time in what 5 years they’ve played in the playoffs.

I won’t take anything away from lebron. He got that ring. That’s really all that matters. He got the ultimate prize in this game

The best chance is getting the players we mentioned in our previous posts. Other than that the ceiling really is no different than what it is now

#19 YOLO, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  20. jowman

jowman Member

harden needs to step up no doubt, but who has he consistently had as a number 2? eric gordon? PJ tucker? curry and thompson went off and their role players dominated our role players. trade harden and start over this team aint doing **** either way might as well start early.