1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Feb 20, 2019.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow no way.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

so not a 2019 phone....but talked my dad into finally upgrading from his nexus 5.
    He got the Pixel 3, and then less than 5 days later had the no OS error. They sent him another phone, same issue with in 36hrs. He's scared of their devices now, and ended up going with an LG, as I think that's who made his old phone.
    Seems like incredible bad luck.

fba34 likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

For me it's an easy choice.

I don't like the rounded edge. I have no interest in the earburds. The 3rd camera is a nothing burger to me. The battery difference should be negligible given that the s10e is pushing around fewer pixels/less resolution on a smaller screen.

The only thing I am legitimately going to miss is the extra 2GB of RAM.

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

It looks great but the issue I see with the way the phone folds is that the screen is exposed to the elements. My guess is that since the screen is flexible it's probably not as scratch resistant. It'll be interesting to see how durable the screen will be from drops and bumps. Samsung's way looks to protect the screen better but the Huawei version looks so much better .

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Jumped to an xr this Xmas with a half off phone deal.

My first iPhone and it's nice. Only thing holding back from perfection is the damn notch and the ultra wide aspect ratio that the notch makes worse. Love the battery life and a button less ui is better for resale. Spec reviews for the chip and camera seems nice for future proofing but who knows.

What prompted the jump is the discount and reliability. Privacy consideration is nice (It can change 180 at any point in time though) but I deleted chrome on my phone and somehow Google pulled the same browser up in maps.

It's like cleaning up your dogs hidden mistakes but the stink is still around, lurking.

Bottom line, the apps make it hard for you to go dark. Hell I ported my contacts through Google and I can't function without it's swypeable keyboard. Such is 1st world life.

#25 Invisible Fan, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Notch is necessary because of the Face Id cameras. Those Android phones can do pin hole and hole punch cameras because none of them have yet to come close to matching Apple with a facial recognition system. Apple will eventually come up with a way to reduce the size of the notch, then replace the notch with a camera system that is underneath the screen and is not noticeable in a few years.

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I was in the same boat, went ahead and just got the S10, not interested in the free Galaxy Buds, since I am happy with the current True Wireless Buds that I currently have, so I'll just sell those to offset some of the cost difference with 10E.

Plus Samsung Finance wouldn't let me finance $200 since I am trading in my S9 for the $550 credit, another excuse to go with the S10 :D

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I totally get that. What I don't like the lack of a setting to introduce an artificial black bar for apps that don't fully support the notch to use. It's literally getting in the way of things.

The Face recognition is pretty seamless btw.

9. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so only samsung and huawei been thrown around so far??

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I find that the with phone upgrades being down for all manufactures, this a good time to upgrade. Apple gave $300 for my wife’s 7 plus. The credit could be apply to the phone or returned to my bank account. That is a better deal than going directly to ATT. I was able to use Apple finance instead of ATT next plan, which included Apple care (they also had option without). The cost and upgrade time frame was better than ATT. I will use Apple’s upgrade program (Requires a credit card or Debit card) instead if ATT because of the lack of the monthly extra fees and quicker upgrade.

11. astros123

astros123 Member

got my ceramic galaxy s10+ today and UHHH WOW!!! Just a fkin beautiful phone. Literally cant stop using it since. The ultrasonic fingerprint works like a charm and the screen is just drop dead gorgeous.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. astros123

astros123 Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

If the Galaxy fold could use the S Pen I’d literally throw my iPhone X and 1k at Samsung.

15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Any thoughts on the new budget Pixel phones? Thinking about picking up a 3a.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Looks to be a real solid phone, if you don't care about the latest processor, the Snapdragon 670 will be just fine plus you get the headphone jack back as oppose to its big brother.

Curious of the new One Plus, cause if past prices are any indication, the difference in price shouldn't be much more compared to the 3a XL and you'll get flagship specs.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Still waiting on the damned S10e to go on sale w/ Verizon...

18. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Solid phone for basic use but the out of the gate promotions are pretty solid.

IF your'e on tmobile with no intent on leaving for some time, they have the best deal.

buy a pixel (1st gen) off ebay or swappa (80-100bucks) and then trade it in to tmobile to get 400 off the 399 Pixel 3a phone. essentially making the phone cost about 120 - 140 depending on what you paid for that pixel off of ebay/swappa.

the google store is offering pretty good trade in prices for the IPHONE SE, 6, and 6S. Roughly 250 for these older phones. subtract that from the 399 price and it's a solid price for the 3a. PLUS you get 100 in Google store credit to buy accessories or google/nest products.

Other retailers are offering 100 dollars in a GC respective to the store you buy from.

All in all for a phone that has great battery life, a headphone jack, and photo taking chops as good as the pixel 2/3 line albeit a bit slower in function it's a good phone.

It's missing these key features

wireless charging
    water resistance
    wide angle front facing camera

ramotadab likes this.
  19. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Yeah, I'm waiting on the latest OnePlus. Hoping Best Buy still has their $100 gift card promo going by the time all details for OnePlus 7 are released.

20. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Do you know how T Mobile's network is in Houston and the surrounding area? I was with them a few years ago and it was really frustrating how limited their network was? I've heard things have changed since then but has it actually?

I have a dormant pixel 1 along with my current pixel 3 and am considering them given their really good pixel 3a deal and 2 lines get a 3rd line free offer. Thoughts?

ramotadab likes this.