1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, Glen "Big Baby" Davis is a big-time local celebrity in my hometown now

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by fadeaway, May 5, 2019.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

What is Glen Davis up to lately? I am sure this important question has crossed your mind at some point over the past few years, but you were probably too lazy to google the information or look it up on wikipedia. Well, I am here to remedy that. In case you forgot about him, here are some pics to jog your memory:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best known for crying on the end of the bench after being yelled at by KG in a game during the Celtics' title run, Glen Davis has reemerged like a phoenix and is now a local superstar on the St. John's Edge basketball team. Who are the St. John's Edge you may ask? They are one of the top teams in the NBLC -- the National Basketball League of Canada. Where is St. John's you may ask? It is the easternmost city in North America, located on the island of Newfoundland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Davis decided to come here because of the "good vibes." He learned about the team through Google and thought he would fit in.

https://www.thetelegram.com/sports/...-a-fresh-start-with-the-st-johns-edge-268243/

Coming here was certainly was not for the money. The salary cap of the entire St. John's Edge team is about $170,000, which works out to about $700/week per player.

https://www.thetelegram.com/sports/other-sports/its-not-the-cash-that-brings-players-to-nbl-159036/

2. fadeaway

I have been to three Edge games so far and Davis always gets the biggest crowd reaction. We all love him. He is always introduced first and his jersey is the best seller, ahead of the likes of his teammates Carl English and Jerryd Skeete.

I can also tell you that his basketball skills are still very much intact. It took a few games to get his cardio back, but he's on fire now. He plays mostly like a point forward. He gets plenty of points and boards, but I have always felt that his passing ability was his biggest strength in the NBA, and that has translated over to his play with the Edge. The Edge offense usually runs through Davis, and he does a good job most of the time. Check out some of these box scores from recent games:

Apr.30 - 0 - Glen Davis 32 min, 6-15 FG, 0-1 3PT, 9-14 FT, 11 REB, 6 AST, 0 STL, 1 BLK, 21 PTS
    May.03 - 0 - Glen Davis 36 min, 12-17 FG, 1-2 3PT, 6-7 FT, 8 REB, 2 AST, 1 STL, 2 BLK, 31 PTS

https://www.thetelegram.com/sports/other-sports/big-baby-has-big-impact-on-st-johns-edge-271618/

https://www.thetelegram.com/sports/...ition-glen-davis-has-been-to-the-edge-280983/

Big Baby has always been a very emotional guy, and that has not changed. During 2 of the 3 games I attended, he got ejected for jawing with the refs. During the first game, after his ejection, he actually reemerged from the locker room tunnel and yelled out "y'all are a bunch of f*ckers!" to the officials before going back inside. I do agree with him that the officiating was terrible during that particular game, and there were way too many fouls called. Leading up to his ejection, Big Baby yelled out "nobody here bought tickets to see y'all!" periodically to the officials before he was tossed.

Davis is usually the biggest guy on the court, and is twice as wide as the average NBL player. He is like a bull out there and when he puts his head down and barrels to the hoop, you better watch out! He has absolutely flattened guys more than once. Whenever he falls down, they have to bring out extra towels to mop up the floor (not a joke). He plays with obvious passion and commonly does things like diving for loose balls and revving up the crowd, which is part of why we love him so much.

[​IMG]

The NBLC are actually in the middle of playoffs right now, and the Edge recently won their second round series to advance to the finals! They will match up with the winner of the Halifax Hurricanes and Moncton Magic series. The Edge had the second best record during the regular season, so they were expected to do well in the playoffs, and it is exciting to experience their success thus far.

Big Baby has embraced the Newfoundland culture, and is a bit of a local hero. His face is on a big billboard downtown with the caption: "Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner." Here is a nice article about him embracing the local culture:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/glen-davis-big-baby-edge-1.5000594

More recently, he hosted a meet-and-greet event at Mary Browns (a lesser-known fried chicken franchise very popular in the province) to promote their "Big Mary" chicken sandwiches. I was hoping to go but the timing didn't work out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video via facebook:

He also has hosted several Glen Davis Basketball Camps this year. If my kid was a few years older, I would enrol him in one of these for sure.

https://sjnbl.prestosports.com/general/GlenDavis_Camp
    https://sjnbl.prestosports.com/general/edge_baby_camp

3. fadeaway

Anyway, I just thought the whole situation was interesting and I wanted to share. It is really surreal for me because before all this happened I would sometimes make reference to Davis as a teasing insult to friends and family members if they were sulking about something (I.e. "Don't be such a wuss -- you're worse than Big Baby Davis"). Usually the response was "who the heck is Big Baby Davis?" and I would have to explain. Now, years later, he's here! It is so unlikely and hilarious.

Once the NBL finals are scheduled, I certainly hope to attend a few more playoff games to cheer on Big Baby and the Edge. Also, regardless of the outcome, I really hope he comes back next year again so that the legacy of Big Baby Davis can continue. "I got that moose sausage, baby!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to end (my career) on a note I can be proud of, that I can look back on it for years and years and say I didn’t quit. I want to say I went to play in Canada and I had the time of my life.”

- Glen Davis

4. JW86

JW86 Member

Is Canadian league any good? Love that league logo

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's not as fat as I expected him to be.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

morey do something!

7. Nook

Nook Member

That chicken sandwich looks HORRIBLE.

chadyang, King1 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  8. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Nice story man. You're a rockets fan too, right?

I ran into Glen at Park Shops in downtown during lunch one time. I went up to him and said "nice to meet you Big Baby". His face went from hey how you doing, to head tilt really dude. I didn't intend to offend him, but he didn't seem to like being called by his nickname.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

he prefers something close to reality, fat dumb baby

10. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Is this satire?

11. fadeaway

No, not at all. Why would you think that? I added a ton of links for verification.

12. fadeaway

The quality of basketball is pretty good. There are ex-NBA guys as well as younger hoopsters looking to gain recognition from NBA scouts.

13. fadeaway

:D

Naw, man. The Big Mary is legit. He is probably holding an actual real sandwich, and not one of those phony re-created fake ass sandwiches created for marketing purposes that are shellacked and covered in paint or whatever. All chicken sandwiches look like that in real life.

14. fadeaway

15. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

This is my new favorite thread. I hope we get regular updates.

Nook likes this.
  16. fadeaway

The Rockets? Who are they? I thought this was the BBOFBBS (Big Baby Only Fan BBS). o_O

#16 fadeaway, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  17. buffalobills!!!

Edge is a better name than the Thunder...

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That chicken sandwich looks pretty tasty and yall know he loves chicken.

19. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

This post is racist

20. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Is there really a single slice of pickle, on top like that? What kind of bright idea is that lol.

pippendagimp likes this.