1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring me some tariffs!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. conquistador#11

for some reason, I read it in jerra jones' voice.
    I Want me some glory holes. Bring me some tariffs.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When our last Great White Hope speaks, you listen damnit!

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I got to give it to the man for doing an amazing job on our economy thus far. Method to the madness. Not going to doubt anymore until he begins to fail. Not going to jump the gun and say this will cause that to happen.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What has Trump done that has impressed you?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tariffs don't work, he is such a fricken moron....

You know who pays Tariffs? WE DO.....because the companies that have to pay them simply raise up their products prices so we the consumer pays them.

Trump is the such an anti-intellectual - with a brain the size of his tiny junk.

IDIOT to the extreme.

DD

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

He basically haven't done a thing.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Protectionist policies are basically another form of welfare. The burden of the unsustainable business/industry is passed on to the rest of society.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yup. But he's appealing to his base. Jobs! (Inefficient, wasteful) jobs! Protectionism is bad and all the perceived benefits are short term, but democratic leaders tend to love these short term beneficial policies because they'll be long gone once the **** hits the fan.

Bring back monarchies! That would probably also stop (or severely lessen) our wars, since any war would just be for some objective goal (land, most likely) and not ideals like "defeating terrorism" or "installing democracy" - which have no real end-game and just lead to perpetual war.

10. pirc1

The only problem is when you are ruled by people like the Kim family, Hitler etc.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For sure. But was Hitler part of a monarchy or democratically elected?

B-Bob likes this.
  12. pirc1

He was appointed and then took over, the monarchy is not too bad if the ruler is competent, but history tells us that the rulers always devolve into incompetent fools at some point down the line. Of course we did elect Trump, so I am not sure where that put democracy.

Haymitch likes this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

All true

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What?

I think of the phrase "its easier to go to war than it is to get out of a war" when I think of what Trump is doing with the economy. Unleashing wall street through deregulation like rolling back Dodd Frank is easy. Its easy to PROMISE corporate tax cuts. Its easy to just sign executive orders which allows corporations to pollute streams and rivers.

What is hard is sustained steady growth, and having longterm stable markets with steady job growth. The stock market boom is based on alot of things, but much of it is based on these promises that the government has made. If those promises aren't kept then you could see alot of money and confidence lost which will cause a steep decline. Trump is essentially running a high risk, high reward economy governance style and it could really backfire in the short term.

In the longterm its also almost always bad when you roll back consumer protection, and protecting financial entities from themselves. Dodd Frank wasn't implemented just to protect consumers against financial services taking advantage of them, it is also there to make sure banks don't operate appropriately and don't get themselves in another scheme like the mortgage backed security crisis which crashed our market in 07/08. Trump is not just asking, but inviting this scenario to return again in a couple years. We are already seeing this with what is called stock buy backs which is at an all time high. This is nothing but a C-level get rich quick scheme and its going to have a price to pay in the near future.

I won't launch into the argument about what economy Trump was gifted from the Obama admin because its pointless. But what he's done since inheriting the economy he has gotten is like shoving a rocket up the backside of a healthy race horse. Yeah it could make that horse jump off the finish line and take a commanding lead.... but it can also blow up the horse from the inside out.

15. dmoneybangbang

Great way for Trump to cause a market correction...

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think he was referring to Tarriff Joe Arpaio.

17. Realjad

Trumps tariffs sure haven't worked... .. .

o_O

So many libtards in this board only hate. They never eat crow, they never acknowledge their ignorance.

They just keep hating.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's correct. They haven't. That's why he's had to give government handouts to various groups of U.S. citizens.

Maybe you are in favor of govt. Handouts.? I don't mind them when they are necessary. But when they are created by Trump's stupid tarrif BS then I hate them.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-tariff-related-aid-to-farmers-idUSKCN1LC23X

DaDakota likes this.
  19. Realjad

More ignorance.

In a trade war that's what that ability is for.

To use an analogy: It's like a regiment on the field who need ammo drops. The Chinese tried to target a sector of our population in the trade war, Trump subsidized and we are dominating the war and financially coming out way ahead. Economy = great again.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you are in favor of creating the need for billions of dollars in govt. handouts?

There is already a corrective measure to take regarding unfair trade practices. The United States has done very well using that measure. It does take longer than anyone would like. But it beats having to spend billions in government handouts. Like I said, if you favor those when we could avoid the tariffs and file a complaint about trade practices, win, and not have to pay the billions, then this is a win for you. I don't think it's a win for the United States.