1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the ****ing point of Chris Paul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, May 1, 2019.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I think some of ya'll are being way too harsh on CP3. He hasn't been great but he's not the biggest problem with this team right now. The Rockets are better with him than without.

With that said...

That is correct. CP3 is noticeably declining this season. In addition to his age, all the injuries he's accumulated during his career are adding up and have taken a toll on his body (and possibly his mind, too). He has the type of game and mentality that leads to a decline in one's early-mid 30s, similar to Tony Parker, Westbrook, etc.

macan likes this.
  2. Caprah

Caprah Member

Clint could be used as bait for AD

3. Caprah

Caprah Member

If harden could be crucified for his poor play so can Paul

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Games would not be this close without cp3.

From the point harden went out with an eye injury until he came back, the rockets were +5 thanks to cp3.

The year before cp3 the rockets couldn't even beat the spurs without kawhi

5. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Hes still really good. But he is no longer aggressive as a scorer. He defers to Austin ****ing Rivers. It makes me sick.

6. Mr. Clutch

He likes to find a more efficient shot than his own iso. Sometimes guys gotta give him the ball back

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can't really fault him, if he goes into every game hard enough, he gets injured.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps if harden was out longer cp3 could find his rhythm better?

9. Voltik

Voltik Member

He isn’t the problem or even the 2nd or 3rd worst. Rebounding, defense, and playing with heart are the issues and any one contributing to those weaknesses.

Paul offsets numerous weaknesses of Harden, that we have seen many times. We need both Harden and Paul playing well to their strengths and off setting each others weaknesses for this to work. It starts with them two first and trickles down to others. Capela, Green, House, and Faried have been very disappointing on defense, rebounding, and aggressiveness that you need against the Worriers.

ak99999, BaselineFade and RyanB like this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

I don't think we should keep Harden out longer but let CP3 initiate more maybe. Harden has a 40 usage so far and CP3 23. Something like 35 and 28 might be more ideal. It would make the offense less predictable, faster and keep Harden fresher too.

ak99999, BaselineFade and deb4rockets like this.
  11. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

I understand, I'm not trying to group everyone together. It's just the swing in confidence on these boards is laughable.

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I get it. You see the swing back and forth with so many players after any good or bad game. We have what we have and just need to hope they can find a way to all work towards winning and beating the Warriors Sat, and keep on doing what we are capable of. So close just isn't enough any more. That story gets old. I just want everyone to play their best and we can do this.

theoldblood likes this.
  13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

he's probably only doing 1/2 of your list, at best lol

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can't think of a single package involving Clint+ that will be better than other offers NOP should get this summer, unfortunately.

Obviously AD is a perfect fit next to Harden and CP3.

Capela, Tucker, Gordon, 4 future firsts for AD, lol. NOP still says no, imo.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Paul made his career as one of the best pure point guards in history. While the idea that he couldn't co-exist with Harden was always overblown, and they do work fine together, playing with Harden reduces his greatest strength: controlling the ball and the offense. That's what he did until he reached Houston. Harden does it here. Paul makes a fantastic secondary play-maker and it's nice having his "point god" ability on the floor when Harden is sitting--but we play Harden the vast majority of the game and all that time Paul isn't being maximized.

It's just the nature of the beast. Paul is a fading great player who can't play to his ultimate strength. He's still a star and valuable to have, but it's not ever going to be like having a prime Chris Paul alongside a prime James Harden.

bmelo likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with Paul's diminished explosiveness, I have a problem with him averaging 4 TO's a game. If anything, you'd expect a guy with more experience and less aggressiveness to protect the ball better.

He has played poorly.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. H-town Ballistics

Dont worry, chris paul will eventually show up =/

18. Mike Breen

Mike Breen Member

He is kind of like Scarlett Johanson these days. Still good and all but theres been a large decline from their peak bodies

bmelo, Rasheed and LUK3 like this.
  19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The purpose of Chris Paul is to collect checks. The man got paid. Now all he has to do is show up. Don’t get me wrong; I’ve always loved the guy, but he’s playing EXACTLY as I expected for his age and on his last real contract. Seriously.....who didn’t see this coming?

20. rocketmc

rocketmc Member

chris can't do anything if harden ball hog.